FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

brake arcing machine

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

panmanhd

Post Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:43 pm

brake arcing machine

does anyone have or know someone with an old brake arcing machine that can help me out, i can't get my new V-twin rear brake shoes to lock up in there new V-twin brake drum, i guess that's what you get when you buy from tedds. i can't find anyone in the Lexington kentucky area that still does it or knows what the hell i'm talking about>
<<

cane

Post Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:32 pm

Re: brake arcing machine

Try Vintage Brake in California.
http://www.vintagebrake.com/
<<

panmanhd

Post Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:28 pm

Have you used them before? Are they any good? Cheap?
<<

Plumber

Post Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:34 pm

Rear wheel? Vintage Brake will put your whole shoe and backing plate assembly on a lathe and turn it. Go to the vintage brake site and read "Here's what we do" or,
if your Tedd linings are too thick and won't fit in the drum, call Kick-Start and get some Dixie® distributed shoes. They'll fit in Tedds rear rear drums. They fit in mine. I had to hand arc my rear shoes a little on a emery paper glued on a a 2 x 4. Worked okay.
No way Tedd Cycle rear shoes will fit their V-Twin drum.
The Kick-Start shoes fit good after a little arcing. The flat rasp is for tapering the ends of the lining ends to prevent brake shoe chatter.
Operating shaft bushing clearance is critical to keep the operating shaft from locking up the brake shoes, which could also snap the positoning lug off the backing plate and really lock the rear break for good.
<<

cane

Post Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:41 am

If you follow the link and click on "products" you will find their services and price list. I spoke to Mike, about having them do my brakes a few years ago. He was easy to talk to and very helpful. Give him a call and see what he can do for you.

Looks good Plumber. What's it going to be?
<<

Plumber

Post Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:02 am

Vintage Brake is the complete friction shop.
46 Knuckle-Glide (spinning). The one behind it is a Pan.
<<

panmanhd

Post Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:32 pm

The rear shoe's from tedd's did fit there drum, but i got the adjustment as tight as i can and still turn the wheel but it won't lock up. My drum gets hot as hell after using the brake, maybe the drum is glazed over? i haven't taken it apart yet. Isn't there a way to arc the brake shoes buy hand checking it with chalk on them so something like that? It's a shame that you spend good money for brakes and then have to spend all kinds of time to make them work.
<<

panacea

Post Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:09 pm

panman, are you aware of the rear brake shoe centering system?Just loosen the pivot stud nut, hold the brake pedal down and re-tighten the nut. this centers the shoes inside the drum. Mike
<<

panmanhd

Post Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:41 pm

I really don't remember that trick maybe that's what i need to do, i'll try that and see what happens :)
<<

Dusty-Dave

Post Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:24 pm

Heres a cheap ass shade tree cure.
In the late 60s I worked for an old Pontiac mechanic who never used the arcing machine in our bay. He would hold the relined shoes against the inside of the drum and then adjust the curve with a hammer and a block of wood untill it fit with no gaps. Either flattening the shoe by resting the shoe ends on the table and using the 2x4 and hammer on the top of the arc or standing it on one end and driving down on the top end to increase the arc. This way he didn't have to breathe the asbestos dust and didn't waste any lineing. Of course it won't work for cast shoe frames but works well for any steel framed shoe. Iv'e even used this method on cranes and frontend loaders with 3' drums.
Dusty
<<

Chris Haynes

Post Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:46 pm

I found this listing on fordbarn.com

Parts for Sale: Chicago Rivit and machine Co. Reliance C brake shoe rivitting and arching machine. Missing rivit tooling: $150. Thanks Rod
Rodney Gage <[ EMAIL ]> 308-537-3611
Gothenburg, Ne. USA - Friday, October 26, 2007 at 22:25:51 (EDT)

Return to Services Sought