FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

S&S P-Series Panhead Motor

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

Plumber

Post Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:56 pm

S&S P-Series Panhead Motor

S&S ANNOUNCES NEW ENGINES AND FRAMES

LA CROSSE, WI (October 02, 2007) S&S Cycle Inc. is pleased to announce that orders fro the new X-Wedge and P-Series engines are being taken right now.

The all-new S&S P-Series engine represents a trip back in time for styling with all of the modern reliability you have come to expect from an S&S Proven Performance engine. Available in 93ci, 93ci high compression and 103ci high compression versions, the P-Series is not a reproduction engine, but rather a modern version of the classic engine. Updated oiling, valve train and case design negate all of the issues of the past and allow for cross country reliability in their place. The P-Series will be available in generator and alternator/generator designs to fit your classic or custom build. Orders placed now will begin shipping within seven days of this announcement. The P-Series 93ci Alternator/Generator P/N 106-0821 will have an MSRP of $8195.00
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pics not available. It's not 74", but that's a pretty good price for a Pan motor made in America. 4-fin cam cover, STD style heads (Shovel bolt pattern exhaust), and automatic distributor.
Now, if some company would only make a exact replicas of a 1947-65 Panhead, no emblem, tank and foot shift gas tanks........we'd be rolling :!:
<<

injunjack

Post Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:28 pm

Re: S&S P-Series Panhead Motor

:oops:
<<

Limey_Dave

Post Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:25 am

Here it is. :wink:
Attachments
P-series.jpg
P-series.jpg (91.82 KiB) Viewed 14483 times
<<

Plumber

Post Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:04 pm

Plumber note: There's also other builders too, using other S&S engines, but only the P-Series Panhead is listed here:

S&S ANNOUNCES 50th ANNIVERSARY BUILDER AND SPONSOR LIST

LA CROSSE, WI (October 09, 2007) S&S® Cycle Inc. is proud to announce the names of the builders participating in the S&S 50th Anniversary Bike Build.
On June 26-29, 2008 motorcycle industry history will be made as 50 of the best-known custom bike builders in the world come together in La Crosse Wisconsin, to support the S&S 50th Anniversary celebration. And while they will be there to support S&S, every builder has plans to leave with the $50,000 Grand Prize, by taking first place in the bike show.

Using 10 of the S&S P-Series motors for their build will be:

Branko Built Motorcycles (Branko), Australia

Chica Motorcycle Service (Chica), Japan

Cory Ness, CA, USA

Central Coast Cycles (Scott Long), CA, USA

David Anthony Customs (David Anthony), CA, USA

Departure Bike Works (Lee Clemmons), VA, USA

Hogtech (Pedar Johanssen), Sweden

Indian Larry Legacy (Paul Cox), NY,USA

Krugger Motorcycles (Freddie Krugger), Belgium

Violator Motorcycles (Piet Hoffman), Netherlands
<<

krazy loop

Post Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:15 pm

What about the intake ports? Are those also like STD panheads, meaning shovel intakes?
New Knuckleheads? Thank, you, Jesus!!
<<

Plumber

Post Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:57 am

Might be Shovel intakes, with a EPA manifold that vents the crankcase into the head, like the Big Bear Chopper pics I posted (that got lost). The non-tamper type of carb and manifold. Or, maybe this is a regular carburetor motor for the one-kit bike-per-lifetime-per-person. Might be that too, since I don't see a non-tamper exhaust system that goes along with it.
<<

Plumber

Post Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:11 am

Chica Motorcycle Service (Chica), Japan
What's this guy going to use as tanks? Generally the Japanese have a better understanding of what looks right and what doesn't on an old Harley than Americans that originally built them.
There's alot of un-touched Knuckles and Pans in Japan. What will the rest of the builders be using as gas tanks? Custom made? Any with pop-up reserve fuel shut off's. No? Aw-gee whiz another institution driven to extinction.
The inferior Shovelhead pipe port is a major design flaw and misunderstanding of the uniqueness of the pan.... the Shovel Exhaust port belongs on a Shovelhead and not a Pan.- Smokey
I agree. However, you can have a motor built with STD spigot ex. and Linkert intake, and while it's not S&S, I feel that as soon as new 3.5 gal. tanks are promised, that a shop like Accurate Engineering will start advertising Panhead motors with spigot ex. STD heads and V-Twin relay mount cases. There's your pieces for real replication spread between three manufacturers. Everybody connected to it makes a living from it. Any Knuckle or Pan motor you choose, from several manufacturers, all under the same 3.5 gallon gas tanks that look real from any angle. Feature it. Pop-up reserves that work as should. Milled deck shut off valve seal surfaces and softer brass seal washers. Something mechanical, or a gasket material that seals better than OEM, but still looks the same.
Last edited by Plumber on Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
<<

Kozy

Post Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:56 am

How's this for an American vision of how an old harley should look?

Set of BT flalhead fat bob tanks ( no repop available! )
BT flathead motor ( no repop available! )
<<

smokey

Post Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:55 pm

Both S&S and STD keep missing the basic design beauty of the Panhead, namely the exhaust spigot and corresponding exhaust pipe and clamp. The inferior Shovelhead pipe port is a major design flaw and misunderstanding of the uniqueness of the pan . The use of the "y "manifold shovel intake manifold obviously adds power just like the Indian Sport Scout manifold it was derived from and is acceptable, but the Shovel Exhaust port belongs on a Shovelhead and not a Pan.
<<

panic

Post Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:15 am

"The use of the "y "manifold shovel intake manifold obviously adds power just like the Indian Sport Scout manifold it was derived from"

???

1st H-D "Y" manifold: 1933 TNT motor.
<<

smokey

Post Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:57 pm

If you take a close look at the STD "spigot exhaust" heads you might realize that it is the same shovel style exaust port machined into a spigot without a blending in like an original panhead. It looks cheap because it is. Hopefully STD or S&S will make available a version of their "P" head more artfully done so that true Pan fans can use the unique original style pipes and clamp .
<<

Plumber

Post Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:59 pm

If you take a close look at the STD "spigot exhaust" heads you might realize that it is the same shovel style exaust port machined into a spigot without a blending in like an original panhead.

I'd like to see a close-up. Anyway you could "blend" the transition at the base of the spigot with a die-grinder? I see an STD head on V-Twins 10-1995. It looks a little rough but where am I missing the "3-bolt look", at the base of the spigot area of the head? I'll post the VT (timer) relay Pan motor and 3-bolt catalog later. Shows them both, real good, on pages 446 and 447 of the '07 book. Maybe you can see it here. Get a free catalog sent to you anyway.
[Side note: Any company that can send free 1295 catalogs to people (they weigh 5+ lbs.), can repop real 3.5 gallon gas tanks and probably buy CCI.)]
No doubt about it. 3-bolt flanges on any Pan motor look wrong, check out 10-1999. Right up there with those AM 3.5 gal., over ripe tomato's sitting on a shelf. Our opinion of course, but it's not right when people put their own spin on a classic design that the founders paid "real designers" to create. At least machine the 3-bolt boss back to the original spigots.
Ask the Viola crew their opinion, and listen to them. IMO, and other core-believers, the STD 10-1999 heads on the V-Twin S&S crankcase motor are horrifying. Keep your mitt's off of the style changes (unless of course, S&S is federally mandated to manufacture emmissons approved exhaust flanges, in which case I can see where S&S is coming from. We come from the "one-emissions exempt-kit-per-person-per-lifetime" market). MAKE SOMETHING FOR "US" :!:
http://www.zoomcyclellc.com/ZoomCycle/Zindex1.html
ImageImage
These are the V-Twin Knuckle tanks. They're not as wide in the back as the AM 3.5 gal., but they were made by laying a metal skin over existing OEM tanks as a "mold", just like the AM tanks. The tanks just don't look right - bulbous and the fuel line nipple is placed wrong, and the dash panel cutout is too wide. The dash cover doesn't cover the cutout. Wasted effort. Un-salvageable. The shut off reserve holes are not in alignment. You have to use one of those fuel line by-passes and cap the top with a chrome hex nut. Not Real Looking.
ImageImage
This is for 2007, ya' know :?: Not 2005 or 2006. Who ya teasing here? MAKE SOME REAL 3.5 GALLON TANKS and let's go have some fun. Charge us for whatever it costs to make them correct. You don't hear us complaining about price.
Last edited by Plumber on Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
<<

Plumber

Post Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:30 pm

ted mentioned your email and the tanks. he seemed to be considering trying again .? there are diff.people now that do things better ? well maybe. - jw
<<

Plumber

Post Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:30 pm

:!: The cryptic message above is from the inner sanctum of V-Twin. Not much to hang on to. Just a "may happen". But, for the writer it's big story. This is the most information I've received from him in 5 yrs. When I know more about the tanks, you will know more about the tanks. I've already ask him for more scoop on the tanks and those 1949-1959 fork cups we worked on getting made in Taiwan in 2004. Until then, call Mark Blankenship for the cad plated cups. Races and (16) Timken bearings are available at any bearing shop.
<<

krchandler

Post Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:04 am

panic,
I'd be interested in your assessment of STD's original panhead intake vs. the STD shovel style intake on their other pan heads. I'm leaning towards buying a set of STD replica heads (original style intake). Is the shovel Y-intake that superior?
I seen a lot of panheads run pretty good with a o-ring original intake, but that was then.
thanks,
el guero

Return to Pans