FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

How did Harley serial number their bikes?

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

Chris Haynes

Post Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:11 pm

What published source with incorrect production figures are we talking
about?

The figures from Harley-Davidson Inc. As published in "The Legend Begins" , "Harley-Davidson History", ETC..
These figures were compiled back in the '70's by John Davidson's secretary, Midge Kimball.
<<

HarleyCreation

Post Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:48 am

Chris Haynes wrote:
The figures from Harley-Davidson Inc. As published in "The Legend Begins" , "Harley-Davidson History", ETC..
These figures were compiled back in the '70's by John Davidson's secretary, Midge Kimball.

At times I've questioned some of the "official" production numbers myself so I'm not surprised if they are wrong. But Midge Kimball was there for a long time and even before John Davidson's day and it would surprise me if she made a glaring mistake like that.

Can you tell us where you heard this from?
Harley's Baby Years and More!
http://www.atthecreation.com/
<<

Chris Haynes

Post Sat Jun 30, 2007 1:30 pm

It wasn't a mistake. It is just they way she did it. The Presidents report to the share holders isn't exact anyway. For instance in the September 30, 1936 report it is stated that 1,836 OHV's had been sold. This does not tell us how many had been built. In the October 19, 1936 News Bulletin/New Model Announcement it is stated that "Nearly 2000 of these new OHV's are piling up millions of miles of the most satisfactory service ever rendered by a motorcycle." Midge Kimball's figure is 1704 OHV's in 1936. So which figure do were believe? "We know from seeing numbers that at least 1,945 were built. If I was there and wanted the production figures I would go to the Service Department to get them. They have a complete listing of line bore numbers and the serial number that was attached to them. It would take a lot of time, but the numbers are all there. At least since line bore numbers stared.
Previous

Return to Motorcycle Trivia