FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Need an electric start counter shaft or info..

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

Mad Mac's

Post Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:50 pm

Need an electric start counter shaft or info..

Got my NOS case.. got all my NOS gears and bits.. was inventorying and familiarizing getting ready to build.. when I noticed that diff between the electric start cluster gear and a kicker cluster gear.. which then made me quickly grab up the only style countershaft I have.. which is for a kicker!!!! and won't work in an electric start box!! No tripper bolts in this NOS case either even if I wanted to make it both electric and kick.. which I don't. Can't seem to locate an elctric start countershaft for sale either. Anyone got an NOS one or a very good one?? Any ideas?? My only thought.. and I'm not sure it would work as I don't have an electric start counter shaft example to take the specs off of.. can a kicker shaft be cut down and machined into an electric start type?? If so.. how and what would the specs be??
Thanx!!
When they're running you out of town.. get out in front and make it look like a parade.
<<

steph

Post Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:09 am

I did the conversion to make an electric to be kickstart also.
No big problems. Changed bushing and installed tripperbolts, changed countershaft with starterclutch&springs.
So to use a kickstart countershaft in electric box, maybe change the left bushing(I think the size off the shaft in the bushing was different, but not sure 20years+away)make-up some spacers to replace starterclutch and iff you don't want the square for the kickarm to stick out, cut it off.
Stéph
<<

Mad Mac's

Post Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:06 am

That's what I think I may have to do.. but, I don't want to experiment considering the time and money I have into this. But if I need to run a modified shaft.. I do have a new kick start bushing to put in the left side of this case and I have the correct electric start side cover with it's closed off bushing where the kick start would normally stick out that measures the same as the kick start shaft before it goes from round to square. What I need to know is either the correct specs for the spacer if I make one up for the electric start counter shaft... or if I use the kicker gear for a spacer with another thick shim spacer where the spring and tripper bolts would be to work with the kicker cluster gear....but what I need most is the exact length to cut the shaft at on the kicker end so that it fits into the electriic side cover as near to stock as possible. Trying to get my cluster gear to sit perfect as if it was on a stock electric counter shaft... if I can't find one.. is my goal.
My only other option is to take a kicker case I have in good shape and make an electric and kick start trans.. which thou most would think is the sweet setup is not what I wanted to do. I hope the above has not made this even more confusing. Would really like to find the right part.. but if I do have to fabricate my own.. I want it to be not just close.. but exact dimensions. Hopefully someone has the part for sale.. or if it's not for sale can give me the length dimension at least... think I can figure out the spacer dimension.
OK.. anybody??
When they're running you out of town.. get out in front and make it look like a parade.
<<

Limey_Dave

Post Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:17 am

If the countershaft you want is #35612-64 then J.W. Boon in the Netherlands has one. $86.

Email jw@jwboon.nl :wink:
<<

Mad Mac's

Post Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:49 am

Be great if they shipped to the US, but they don't.. You got me to thinking thou.. and I found the part for $25 less than JW boon at NOS parts out of Ohio... and they do ship to the USA. :wink:
Thanx all.. even if just for the helpful intent!! :D
<<

Chris Haynes

Post Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:20 pm

Boon and NOS parts are the same guys. Partners so to speak.
<<

Mad Mac's

Post Wed May 02, 2007 2:16 pm

I had a feeling.. but still.. $75 from JW.. $50 from NOS.. Yay USA.
<<

Curt!

Post Wed May 02, 2007 6:19 pm

That's because a euro sells for 1.34 US today. We pay 1.34 for 1.00 worth of their goods. They pay .75 for 1.00 worth of our goods. The imbalance is not good for the ol' USA
Curt!
<<

Jan Willem

Post Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:04 am

European prices include import duty, and 19% sales tax.

Jan Willem

Return to Servi-Cars