FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

A plee From Fellow Bikers

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

Curt!

Post Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:20 pm

I just got back to town to this news. I'm very sorry to hear of the tragedy. My mother always say the worst thing in the world is to have a child die before you. My brother was killed when he was 20. She said it was far worse that either of her husbands that died.
My condolences to the family. They will be in my prayers and thoughts.
Curt!
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:55 pm

Wisdom well spoken Curt. Thank you ! I spoke with Big Pat today. It was at calling hours. He is angry with Patrick. Says things like...Damn stupid mistake he made. I told Big Pat...There is no words Fella. You are the strength of the family. Be there ! They need you !! Pa
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:34 pm

Young deceased Patrick received a great honor. Youngstown, Ohio St.Patricks Day parade was dedicated in his honor. In that area, that is a real tribute. He is now put to rest. May God Rest His Soul, and may He also continue his miracle with Big Pat. And by the way..........Speed and a cell phone were the contributing factors in this accident according to YPD. Young Patrick was found with the phone still in his hand. Pa
<<

Curt!

Post Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:23 pm

Hey Guys. The walnut base is nearly done. Chet just has to trim a couple edges, bor the big hole, and varnish it. I gave him the OK this afternoon to wrap it up. IT LOOKS GREAT !!
pa.... you need to call him if you have the time. He has a couple questions about boring the big hole in it that I couldn't answer, and whether to put some feet on it so it wont mar any surfaces. It should be completed by this weekend and on the way to you.
Curt!
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:20 pm

YEE HAWWWWW !!!! :D Thanks for the good news Curt !! I will call Chet tonight or tomorrow for certain. Pa
<<

Curt!

Post Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:47 pm

I picked up the base from Chet tonight to get it shipped to pa. It's too late to go out today, but it will be on it's way to you on Monday by UPS. I put a few photos of it in an album on the VAM website.

http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.c ... temId=2590
Curt!
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:20 pm

Thank you so much for posting the photos on your site !! Chet did a beautiful job on the wooden walnut base Curt ! I can't wait to see it assembled to the rest of the unit ! I am so excited about getting the job completed, taking photos, and crating it up !! This project is only a few steps away from being finalized. My heart is over flowing with emotion but my tongue is short on proper words to describe it at this time. I will have much more to say when my brain catches up with my emotions. Please bare with me while I unscramble my soul from my body. Pa
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:59 pm

And one pic of the completed wooden walnut base for the topic. Pa

<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:39 am

The wooden base has arrived here. :D It looks better than it does in the pics !! Chet did a great job on it. Thank you Chet !!! Tune in for completed assembly pics !!! :D Pa
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:40 pm

Assembled the unit yesterday evening. Looks out of site !! I noticed a slight problem with the bore centering though. After a good looking over of the cylinder extension drawing and the bore location drawing, I found the problem. I provided Chet with incorrect centering imformation in regards to the placement of the bore from side to side. Chet put it exactly where I had him place it. The top assembly is shifted 1/2" to the left. I'm quite embarressed over this. I had him move the bore 1/4" more than was needed in order to center the cylinder extentions top flange. The assembly has a built in oem engineered shift of the totaled assembled components as it is, and the that would show anyway but my mistake adds more shift than I like. The corrected drawing is below showing my error. In other words, there is 1/2" more wood surface on the right side than there is on the left side. I have a fix for it though. My options are to elongate the bore or come up with something else. Elongating is possible but I would know this. All the mounting holes for the screw fasteners would also have to be relocated. This leaves very little meat for the screws for holding power, due to the fact that the new located fastener holes would be so close to the earlier holes drilled. This makes me more skeptical about using such a fix. Besides, Chet's beautiful work of art and craftsmanship should not be butchered in order to correct my flaw and error. Because of all this, I have decided to go with the altenative fix instead. The alternative fix is to mount a medallion of some type next to the right side of the cylinder extension flange. This medallion will better center the whole assembly in relation to the wooden base. I discussed the type of medallion to use with Curt via telephone. Curt had numerous great ideas. I suggested a cross made from aluminum. Since a cross is normally used to represent a religious symbol, we both agreed Mimi and JC should make that call. Kat called them today and a cross will be fine. I have designed this cross separate from religious affilliation. Like the holding hands theme, having several meanings to different folks, this cross design has only two possible meanings, that I can think of. It can be looked at in a religious context, if so desired, but my intention is to bring to light, and to enhance one of the several themes the urn represents. For Mimi and JC, I believe that theme is JC's hand in Mimi's hand holding their son. Brady was their only child, a son. My cross design is intented to represent "ONLY BEGOTTEN SON" I already roughed the cross out and will finish it up tomorrow. Curt advised me to bring this to your attention for further imput. I need to know what you folks think ? There is no need for you all to answer just yet. Allow me to post a couple of pics before you make your thoughts known. I'll put one up without the cross and one with it. Should have them posted by Sunday for you all to view.
Thanks, Pa

Last edited by Pa on Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Curt!

Post Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:16 pm

As I said on the phone, if a cross is acceptable to JC and Mimi, that is the best way to go. I'm sure that a cross will be a wonderful addition to piece.
Curt!
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:44 pm

Thank you Curt. Before permanent mounting of the cross, I will place it where I intend to for a photo shot so all will see how it shifts the whole spectrum view of the total assembly. Pa
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:00 pm

OK ..........top pic shows the error I made in the bore offset. Bottom pic shows the correction, in an illusional way, with the cross mock mounted. I'll mount the cross today. Next is the photo shooting, then comes the crating. Pa

<<

Curt!

Post Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:16 pm

I think you are the only one who would have ever noticed your "error". :wink: I think the cross is a nice touch, though. The whole thing looks great. Congratulations to all that helped out. It came out great! my.02
Curt!
<<

hplhd1

Post Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:20 pm

both ways look great pa. it's a great tribute.
<<

100incscoot

Post Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:08 am

looks good pa
when i kick it you guys better not make anything that nice for me
i prefer greasey and rusty
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:37 pm

We'll put the grease and rust in with ya Bro ! :lol: Pa
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:22 pm

TA DA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

<<

100incscoot

Post Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:37 am

nice job pa
<<

JIm

Post Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:38 am

Pa,

That is beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have seen other urns over the years but none that can come anywhere near to the level of design and craftsmanship that you have created.

You should be one proud man for your accomplishment.

All that contributed and people that helped along the way should be in awe of what you have done.

I know I am! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Now if everyone had someone in there life like you, the world might be a better place.

Jim
PreviousNext

Return to General Whatever-Technical