FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

The Wishbone 45"/4sp thread

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

milwaukee belle

Post Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:07 am

:shock: i am always so surprised when i think we all are livin' at opposite sides of the planet , and we are here , to talk ....findin' solutions .....kiddin'....
wonderful times ....
THIS is what i call the web .
<<

glove

Post Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:48 pm

Just a thought...
The red wire is my "kill switch"- correct?
So I dont need any other connections but the two plug wires?
I dont think the wico is ran to the ignition switch.
<<

Scott

Post Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:58 pm

Does anyone know the correct orientation for the points cam lobes. If 180 degrees isn't correct, what should be the spacing between the lobes? I have a Sportster mag with the lobes not evenly spaced, but no one can tell me why or if lobes located 180 degrees apart would be close enough.
<<

steph

Post Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:23 am

As the Harley always was a 45° twin the ignition lobes imo should be 157,5° apart.
Stéph
P.S. with 180° you'll start the Harley on 1 cyl at full advance and the other will be too late, I think, but iff I'm wrong please correct me.
<<

h.d.ryder

Post Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:19 am

Glove, if you are having trouble with your mag, why not just throw in a Timer and a battery ignition, there`s lots of timers out there,you`re going to need a generator anyhow,and a battery.You could be riding,while you send your mag out to be repaired,and put it back in at a later date. Just a suggestion.
Larry
<<

glove

Post Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:24 pm

Well I was trying to work with what I had. I figured some points and a new condenser, clean the carb, new pugs, walla.... things got taken a little further.
I removed the engine and trans so I can get the frame in shape. I am going to go through the trans and the engine before I re-assemble, just to make sure all is well.
I found an ugly sight as I pulled the engien sprocket off...
I would imagine the balance of this is far from good. Maybe not...
surely this is not factory?

I am back to my first thougts- PANHEAD engine (sorry Fran). Its a special frame w/ some cool forks. Get the hand shift-foot clutch back together, some floor-boards and some fenders (stock rear (maybe bobbed)- custom front).
I will be keeping this little 45. It will go back on the frame to pull me around till someone tells me about where to find a 1948 FS / ES or FL / EL engine or I luck into one somewhere.
I wouldnt mind going for the full out sidecar set-up, but the sporty high compression mght be a little more fun.
Either way- I am looking for something 1948 panhead to put in it.

For now I am busy with striping the frame down, and ordering some gaskets.
<<

panic

Post Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:10 pm

Last edited by panic on Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

milwaukee belle

Post Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:38 pm

but...does anybody here has a clear PIC of a wico lobes for a V-TWIN ?
<<

Scott

Post Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:10 pm

Mutt sent me these photos and information a while back. The part no. for the correct shaft is Y6547. The photos below are of the correct rotor/shaft/point cam. I want to try to grind a four cylinder points cam so it fires correctly. I haven't summoned up the courage to try. The four cylinder points cam looks like a perfect square, with each corner serving as a lobe. Mutt told me, though it's not clear in the photos, that the magnets were 180 degrees apart and that the cam lobes appeared to be spaced the same. I think I need to hold part no. Y6547 in front of me. Thanks again to Mutt for all the info and images. I hope he won't mind me sharing it here.