FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Early XLCH K Model Oil Tank differences ????

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

hotrods1

Post Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:14 pm

Early XLCH K Model Oil Tank differences ????

Hi,
Can some one explain the differences in the variations in the early CH K Model Horse Shoe Oil Tanks? I have a couple different types. 1 type has 4 fittings across the front of the tank and a drain plug on the lower left side. The other type I have has only 3 fittings across the front and a small sump with a fitting on the lower left side. I'm trying to figure out which would be correct for a 1960 XLCH and if one would be correct for a 1956 KHK?
Thanks
Larry
<<

thefrenchowl

Post Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:10 pm

Hi hotrods1..

Yep, and there're even more versions: the taller 6 quarts KRTT one and another "std" one, my guess only: for KHRM, where there're 2 fittings on each side of the tank!!!

And 3 of them have the same part numbers, so little chance to know any better unless you and I happen to see loads of originals KR/CH...

At a stroke, all the K/KH/KK/KHK had the side oil tank and tool box, so any of the above will fit, as long as you cut off a lot of brackets on the down seat tubes and you run the KHK with a magneto and no battery, generator direct to the lights.

That's my 1954 KHK there, not even got lights, less problems!!!

For the CH, I have a feeling the one with the little sump was 1st used, that's the std KR type, the welding for the rear fixing plate is open, say from 58 till 62. It was then cleaned up, welding-wise and the 4 fittings on the left side...

So, 60 CH, I'd go for the sump one...

Patrick
<<

hotrods1

Post Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:47 pm

Thanks, and what you say makes sense to me also. I didn't realize no K's except KR had the horseshoe tank though. but never really checked the book either. Thats a nice bike by the way.
Larry
<<

thefrenchowl

Post Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:37 am

No probs, Larry, thanks for the bike comments, more on it here:

http://flatheadpower.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=7640

Patrick

Return to Sporties