FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Twin cams

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

Speedy

Post Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:10 pm

JohnR- That's some of the header wrap I was talking about in the post further up. Brewski- I'm not bashing them. There are some things I like about this 2 cam. They are different, that's all. To be real different, I have often thought that H-D should build and offer a 100+ inch bagger with liquid cooling. I know that not everyone agrees with that. The newer engines are long lived anyway, so just think how much farther they'd go with a cooling system that could keep temperatures even and consistant. Just a thought.
<<

jww

Post Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:33 am

Brewski,
Just turned 500 miles on my new '07 Ultra yesterday. Really enjoying the bike but my advise is to get ready to become acustom to "new" noises. The tranny in all of the '07's around here are making very different noises in 5th gear. I'm told HD went with helical gearing? Factory is saying nothing wrong.......just get used to the noise. All i know is if one of my vintage bikes made noise like my '07 i would put it on the lift. Sure is sweet to ride though. johnny
<<

nationalzjug

Post Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:05 pm

Twin Cams

8) jmm, helical gears and dog rings....my buddy just got his 2007 lowrider,rode it home 120 miles and said he still hadn't hit 6th gear....
<<

krazy loop

Post Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:53 am

Billy: I don't know that EPA approved makes much difference these days to the buyer after the initial dealer sale. Michigan used to have a mandatory yearly emissions test for cars that if failed prevented the purchase of a license plate. That has been gone for years now. That may or may not be the case in other states and whether it applies to bikes there I have no idea.
New Knuckleheads? Thank, you, Jesus!!
<<

krazy loop

Post Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:14 pm

Billy, how far can you overbore twin cam jugs, if at all?
<<

nationalzjug

Post Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:13 pm

twinkies

the difference between the 88" and 96" is made up in stroke,not bore...the 96"er's are 4and3/8ths" stroke if I read the info right 8)
<<

krazy loop

Post Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:07 pm

That isn't why I was asking. I was wondering if TC jugs could be bored on the order of + .070 or something similar like the old stuff.
<<

nationalzjug

Post Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:30 am

recall

8) Loop, the mechanic at our dealership says "why not?"
the moco has another recall for 2006 dynas, battery caddy bolt can fall out thrusting the battery against the cover(if the rubber cover is off the positive cable)causing sparks,then fire and death and or injury to the rider...I got my recall notice on Friday...I also am graduating to foot shift hand clutch,and although it may be natural to most it feels I should be pushing the clutch down with my foot.... :wink: :arrow:
<<

krazy loop

Post Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:05 pm

I agree. There is something comforting about a jockey shifter--knowing that when you shift you are actually in gear and which one.
<<

BREWSKI

Post Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:25 pm

Just picked up my '07 ULTRA Tuesday from RENO H-D,can anyone tell me why a sidecar takes 6 months to arrive,when the ULTRA and the sidecar were ordered the same day?. Still waiting on the sidecar,it's supposed to be here in March. As far as gas mileage/temp,I NEVER bought a H-D to worry about gas mileage,if you're worried about gas mileage you should buy a TOYOTA HYBRID. as far as engine temp,it is a scientific fact that the larger an engine is the more heat it generates;learn to live with it!!. BREWSKI
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:21 pm

Fill the bike orders first, the accessories second. Pa
<<

krazy loop

Post Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:06 pm

I am still tempted to buy a new 96 incher. If I don't like it I suppose I could always get rid of it or let my old lady ride it and get rid of both at the same time. Now and then I get ambivalent about the fact we have so many different options these days considering STD, S&S, FHP, and others, and mixing and matching real HD parts from different sleds of different years. That makes starting from scratch require more consideration. I love shovels and the old stuff overall but for example, even Axtell doesn't sell barrels or much else for pans these days but just a few short years ago they did. I can foresee the day when they won't sell anything for shovels as well.
<<

nationalzjug

Post Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:07 pm

twinkies

:? why don't these modern fuel injected,big motored motorcycles come with an oil pressure guage or oil temp guages?...I guess I gotta buy one...anyone know of a pressure guage that would mount on a rear rocker cover bolt?..I've looked in MoCo and J&P catalogs and don't see it..it looks like a temp guage can be got that replaces the dipstick on the oilbag down by the tranny(Dyna)I was trying not to put too many extras on this bike,but a oil pressure guage is pretty nessesary,is it not? I've never liked idiot lights on cars and I've become used to real guages on everything....peace,Paul
<<

krazy loop

Post Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:02 pm

I ran gauges and I didn't run gauges. Some leaked and some didn't. Some worked better than others and some didn't work at all. These days I'd rather pay attention to the road than a gauge. I have come around to the mindset that a permanently mounted gauge is just one more thing to worry about. Does the engine have a problem or is the gauge going south? Who cares. If the engine blows up fix it or get another one. An odd attitude I suppose but the more years I ride the less I care about when and how something is going to fry on me. Good parts and proper assembly work just fine and avoid the problem as long as possible.
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:25 am

I like the added features of gauges [mechanical type] [never trusted idiot types], if only for fore warning. But I have to agree with KL. After knowing a machine for any length of time, and after living any number of years with machines, a person becomes alert to any slight changes in the operation, sounds, temps. etc., to a machine. Call it a type of sixth sense if you like, but it is true none the less. I hear or feel a bearing problem, a change in valve sounds, ticking, tapping, loss of power, miss, fouling, vibration, handling, pull, you name it, you feel and hear even the slightest changes once you have grown and become a component of a machine. Pa
<<

Frankenstein

Post Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:06 am

Don't cruise the Twin cam forum much, but caught my eye today. I have to agree with Pa, but I've gone both ways on the gauge thing. Remember my British sports car that I put a fuel pressure gauge on, That gave you about 30 sec. warning that you were going to come to a stop! (couldn't trust the British fuel gauge)
Anyhow, Billy, what's the purpose of the "Hypereutectic Aluminum Pistons with Teflon"? The only time I've run in the word "eutectic" is in reference to a solder alloy which doesn't have a pasty state. It's either solid, or liquid. Something that brings up interesting mental images when applied to pistons. You know imagining them to suddenly reach the magic temperature and turning to liquid and running down the bores :lol:
Seriously, I'm presuming in pistons it must have some special expansion properties. But I'm interested in knowing more.
Dr. Dick
<<

nationalzjug

Post Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:41 am

pressure guage

found one that'll work....oil pressure is pretty important, yeah I know when there's something not right with the 45 by the way it feels, but I'd like to know where the pressure is at with this new modern machine I know diddly about....it's like 75% more powerful than my little 45 and quieter....
<<

panic

Post Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:16 am

"Hypereutectic Aluminum Pistons"
Hyper = beyond
Eutectic = highest amount of alloying material (silicone, in this case) that will dissolve under normal conditions.
The alloy is a solid super-saturated solution of silicone in aluminum.
HE is simply a method of hardening aluminum and reducing its coefficient of friction by adding more silicone (up to 18%) than is normally possible. It works, much stronger than normal cast alloy, but more brittle than a forging, more sensitive to knock damage, runs higher crown and ring temperatures and frequently needs less spark and more end gap. See the KB site for more info.
<<

sleeper

Post Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:36 pm

Dr. Dick-

"Hypereutectic Aluminum Pistons with Teflon"?

It's a direct quote out of my newest HD shop manual, of what HD is currently using. evo's & IIRC late shovels used piston coatings as well....FWIW.

In addition the twin cams have piston oilers, (not skirt oilers) but oilers that spray a healthy squirt of oil at the undersides of the piston crowns, that have benefits, ie. reducing piston crown heat, which could help w/detonation, & help lower engine temp a bit as the fuel systems are set up extremely LEAN for EPA regs.
<<

nationalzjug

Post Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:22 pm

twinkies

Billy, what's the word on pipes? if you change the original exhaust system to say...SE stage 1 or two will you get busted for EPA violations and end up with a $10,000 fine? if so why are all these other types of pipes available in the aftermarket....I'd like to go two into one with a muffler at the end,but I don't want to spend all that money and get trouble for it... :?
PreviousNext

Return to Twin Cams