FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Stock Early XLCH Raked Triple Trees ??

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

hotrods1

Post Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:13 am

Stock Early XLCH Raked Triple Trees ??

I've got a '60 xlch that came with an extra set of stock looking triple trees. They appear to be raked type trees. Does anybody know anything about these as far as what they came from? Also the top tree does not have the taper for the tube to seat in but is counterbored with a shoulder left on the top side. Did these trees take a different tube without the taper? I'm thinking of useing them but have only heard of these and never seen a set till now.
Thanks for any info.
Chopper Larry
<<

thefrenchowl

Post Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:49 pm

Hi Larry,

All the K/KH/Iron Sportsters top trees have tapers to locate the tubes, plus threads on both sides for tin/windscreens attachements. Even later Showa forks have them tapers... Have you got some photos of them strange ones?

Hope this helps,

Patrick
<<

hotrods1

Post Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:02 am

Raked Tree's

Patrick or anyone else.
The chrome top tree is the raked one compared to a standard top tree. If you notice where the stem hole is you will notice difference for the rake. Also where the taper is normally the tree is counterbored straight and there is a shoulder. Which you should be able to see in the picture. The counterbore does fit a stock tube nicely size wise. The bottom tree has the stem on an angle which you should also be able to see. I have assembled them with tapered tubes and evrything lines up fine. I still just wonder if there was special tubes for these? I do know that there were stock raked trees but don't know what years or models they were used on? Anyways any info would be great.
Chopper Larry
<<

Chris Haynes

Post Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:24 am

I had one of those things in my hands years ago. I found it while rummaging through a old Harley repair shop in Milwaukee. The thing I first noticed was those four tabs on the front of it. Old Ralph said it was a prototype item he had bought at a H-D salvage sale back in the 50's
<<

thefrenchowl

Post Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 am

Hi Hotrods 1,

This is a K model top tree. That internal machining, I've never seen. The 4 ears are a giveaway, they are used to fit the 2 electrical switches underneath the tinware.

I had a 1953 KK with that geometry, it lasted until mid-54 when they went for more trail, but its tubes were tapered like later Sporties.

...We learn everyday, I can only suppose this is a early 1952 K one... The K parts books only list one sort of tube, the tapered one, 45953-52 and one sort of top tree, 45738-52...

By the way, that earlier geometry was kept going on the flat track racers, KRs, XLRs until the advent of the Iron XR and its new frame in 1970.

Patrick

Return to Sporties