Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

indianut

Post Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:14 am

Can you say: DEFENSE FUND?
<<

Markz

Post Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:44 am

Tough spot to be in. I can't get over the irony here. BL being a motorcyclist and probably had his share of close calls on the road to turn around and be what every motorcyclist fears on the roadway.
<<

44u

Post Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:49 am

Could be a matter of asset hiding before the inevitable lawsuits also.
I'm not sure, but I think in FL. assets can be converted and hidden into property which can then not be touched by someone who wins a civil suit.
My understanding is that this is why O.J. Simpson bailed on CA. and moved to FL. He was able to rathole his money into property and avoid getting it taken by the Goldmans who had won a wrongful death suit against him.
<<

Curt!

Post Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:01 am

Not much need in hiding assets I would think. Defense fund is more likely because it's going to be very expensive keeping him out of prison. This is his second DUI this year. He's still fighting a DUI on N.C from June. His BAC two hours after the accident was .192 so he has a second DUI to contend with. Florida law as I understand it, says that an accident resulting in death by someone who is DUI carries a mandatory 15 year prison sentence.
They followed his trail through the whole day and he had been to lots of bars and lots of people saw him toasted. He was also driving on a suspended license from refusing to take a breathilizer test in the first DUI. He was passing a line of cars in a double yellow zone, something that just asks for trouble. The chirpie he was taking to his house was also injured in the accident. He just screwed up in so many ways it's incredible.
From reading other newsgroups, his friends say he is devistated and has little money or assets. There are a lot of people urging everyone to contribute to his defense fund, but I have little sympathy for someone who kills a motorcyclist by driving drunk.
Having said that, I often bar hop on my bike, but my credo is "All things in moderation" The days of drinking all day and driving around are long past.
Frankly, I hope the dead guy's family sues him to the limits of his liability insurance plus all his assets. Time for a humility check. Starting over from scratch might teach him a valuable lesson.
Curt!
<<

Markz

Post Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:25 pm

He beat the NC DUI but there is no way he is getting out of that mess he has in FL. 4 lawyers at your side do not come cheap. Too late for BL to learn a lesson, a man lies dead.

Return to Shoot The Bull