FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Magnum Engine ~ Finished at last

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

enigmas

Post Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:06 pm

Magnum Engine ~ Finished at last

For those guys that have been following this construction over the last 3 years...perhaps more...it's finally done. Here are a few pix of the finished motor...the frame and trans is another story.

Last edited by enigmas on Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:57 am

I can't wait to hear the running results Vince !!! Sure looks perty !!! Tell me about the rocker boxes. Pa
<<

George Greer

Post Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:20 am

Vince,

I hope that you don't mind........

I've saved every photo that you have posted and text too.......

George in Germany
<<

enigmas

Post Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:05 am

Thats fine with me George and its partly why I posted the images. I'm a visual thinker and need images to clarify the things I do. It's also easier for anyone else to do the same project with the images as a guide. Use the pix along with Panic's Magnum booklet and the project is not as daunting. I fitted most of the construction in during weekends and holidays. On one particular point I changed tack and that was to do with the rod bearing cages and thrust washers. I eventually used steel bearing cages that were narrowed to fit into the WR rods I used. I initially recessed the thrust washers but did not go with this idea. If you've copied the pages you'll see this. As always measure twice and cut once. Thanks to Crazy Eddie where ever you are for the inspiration and the emails.
<<

47knuck

Post Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:35 pm

Enigmas: Cool looking motor. I love the crazy angles on the rocker box will this cause any real probs with the pushrods? Also like the nice work on the intake looks real sweet. I hope you get it in a roller and tell us how it works. Thanks
Steve H
<<

Frankenstein

Post Sun Sep 10, 2006 3:11 pm

Vince, Nice looking motor!! The quality shows through. And as always, glad to see you've mounted one of my favorite carbs, 1 3/4 HD from Skinners Union. :lol: A good starting point might be a "TL" needle and the Jaguar damper spring, and just a drop or 2 of oil. Just my opinion, of course.
Great work, you should be proud.
Dr Dick
<<

steph

Post Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:03 pm

Beautiful work Vince!
Just because I'm curious : why the silver cast iron heads?
As all the rest is black&beautiful.
Stéph
<<

enigmas

Post Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:20 am

Thanks Dick, I'll keep the needle spec in mind. Steph, I was going to paint the whole engine black and keep the aluminium highlights on the case fins, but thought it may be too black overall. The silver paint is rated for use on disc brake calipers and rotors, standing temperatures up to 900 degrees F /490 degrees C, with use it should dull down somewhat and stay intact on the iron heads.
47knuck it seems to work on other (45) magnum engines and certainly did on Crazy Eddie's, (still featured on Panic's "Victory" site) which from all accounts was very reliable. This engine should be stronger internally than Eddie's, as it runs WR rods and the big stepped crankpin. It also runs the mild XL cams as I'm more interested in durability than outright performance.
<<

BREWSKI

Post Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:46 pm

Congratulations VINCE! Always been interested in building a Magnum engine,still have a "71 XL top end for that project.Yes, SUs need a little oil once in a while. When do you plan on firing it up? BREWSKI
<<

enigmas

Post Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:35 am

Might be a little while yet Brewski, as it will be a hybrid in more ways than one. I need to sort out a belt drive and suitable clutch to the AMC/Norton gearbox that I'll be using. Once these components are resolved I'll sit it in the frame I've chosen and fire it up.
<<

enigmas

Post Mon Sep 18, 2006 4:59 am

Panmanhd, I think you need one of these projects.
<<

enigmas

Post Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:51 pm

Thanks Billy.
<<

enigmas

Post Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:23 pm

Ironpimp, the breather valve timing has been extended, baffles removed etc. It's easy to screw up crankcase breathing and oil evacuation from the cases by not actually understanding how the system is designed to work. This engine is designed as a daily rider and not race use...mild (XL) cams and lower comp pistons.

Return to Morthodites-"Non Factory"