john HD

Post Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:37 am

davenport?

how many of you are going this year?

john
<<

Chris Haynes

Post Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:43 am

I'll be there. look for me. I'll be wearin' a Harley T shirt and I have long hair and a beard. ;-)
<<

john k. endrizzi

Post Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:37 am

I'll be there on Friday. I'll have a Kepi on my bald head and a scissors in my back pocket. I'll be hangin' at Fat Dogs site. :x
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
<<

Chris Haynes

Post Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:24 pm

John,
Too bad you wion't get there til Friday. I'll have bought all the goodies on Thursday.
;-)
<<

john HD

Post Sat Aug 26, 2006 1:47 am

we will be getting in town wednesday night. a couple of buddies of mine will be bringing our "other american icons" to camp out!

usually we have 3 or 4 lined up.

john
<<

Chris Haynes

Post Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:00 am

I fly in and camp at The Courtyard by Marriott. 8) In days so old when I was young I would pictch a tent there and shower in the stables. eat all my meals at Mickey D's across the street.
<<

Plumber

Post Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:30 am

john HD - nice camper and Pan.
Didn't you once have a problem with a set of Glide forks? Did you ever get them to stop slamming at the top on rebound? My V-Twin forks slam, w/ 7oz. of fluid in them, but I think I know the reason why. They don't ship the forks with the (45769-49, 68-49) baffles or (45764-49) stud screwed into the fork tube plug! I didn't noitice it when I pulled the damper assemble apart to repair a fluid leak, but in a "staged" pic I took, I can now see daylight through the top of the spring coils, while the fork tube plug is sitting on top of the spring. :lol: There's definitely no baffle set attached to the plug. The (46045-49) spacers, used before 1958, are not included with complete rebuild kits. I rebuilt a OEM set of forks without re-installing the old spacers, but I used the old springs and had no slam problems.
Did your forks have baffle assemblies?
Take some pics over there and post 'em. We've never been to davenport. Get some elevation pix. Eat hearty. Yar :!:
-----------------------------
Do they cook tri-tip brisket in Iowa? They do in Ventura, but it doesn't reach too much further south, successfully at least. I think it cooks slow all day. A BFFB knuckle owner (Anders friend) @Del Mar had a chunk of it wrapped in tin-foil, sitting off in a corner under a covered grill. He buck knifed and even slice and it was good. Not bar-b-que sauce. Different marinade altogether.
Last edited by Plumber on Sat Aug 26, 2006 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

john HD

Post Sat Aug 26, 2006 12:06 pm

plumber

no haven't figured the slam out yet, yes i do have baffles in the plugs.

i am going to be shopping for some new damper assemblies this year and see if a different set will work better.

i believe my problems lie in the fit of the dampers, they are pitted from having water collecting in the fork legs. because of the pits i believe the oil is getting by the damper pistons too easily no matter how much oil i have in there.

the other reason i have put off addressing this problem is because i originally had turned down legs, i welded new fender mounts on them. they are servicable but not as pretty correct unmolested ones!

last year at davenport i bought what i thought was a matched set of fork sliders, when i got home i found i had one good one and one from a later model.

so in addition to needing dampers i am still looking for one fork slider.

once i get all the parts i plan to completely go through the front end and have it fixed right. but the bike works good now with what i have. so, i am in no real hurry to take it apart until this winter.

john
<<

Cotten

Post Sat Aug 26, 2006 6:04 pm

Back to Dport,

I'll be at W-2 as usual.
Come raid my cooler!

....Cotten
<<

john HD

Post Sat Aug 26, 2006 7:24 pm

Cotten wrote:Back to Dport,

I'll be at W-2 as usual.
Come raid my cooler!

....Cotten

cotten

will take you up on that offer! i was going to say hi last year but you were busy when i stopped by.

john :D
<<

john HD

Post Sat Aug 26, 2006 7:30 pm

Do they cook tri-tip brisket in Iowa?

nope never heard of that! at our campsite someone usually comes up with some rediculusly thick rib eyes and we always have a bushel basket of sweet corn around.

thinking of a nice pork shoulder roast on the grill, iowa is the land of pork after all!

john
<<

john HD

Post Sat Aug 26, 2006 7:52 pm

here is another shot of our set up!

we stay at the scott county park at the summit campground, i have to give the county folks credit, the place is manicured like a golf course. it is straight west of the fairgrounds on locust street about 4 miles out of town.

the rates are reasonable and it makes a nice respite from the noise and hubub at the fairgrounds.

john
<<

Plumber

Post Sat Aug 26, 2006 7:56 pm

Now I'll quit talking about food. Take your pick, these posts are from the Santa Maria area. Something doesn't look right about those two steaks on that plate though. Brisket is a chunk of beef you know? If it were on it's side, it's suppose to look like the end-cut of a 2x4, with diagonal texture rings like a tree trunk, not like a piece of chicken breast and w/ rosemary stuck to it. IMO. Rib-eyes and corn are less hassle and more davenport. Have a good show. http://forum.surfermag.com/forum/showfl ... o=&fpart=1
Last edited by Plumber on Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
<<

Ed Black

Post Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:01 am

http://www.cooks.com/rec/search/0,1-0,tri-tip,FF.html

Here you go, pal. Fifty, yes 50, tri-tip yummy recipes.
Yer Pal,
Ed Black

Keep 'Em Guessing
<<

john HD

Post Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:00 am

we sure had a good time! it was nice to finally meet cotten, even if i could only show him the "good side" of my panhead!

i posted some pics of knucks i saw here http://www.flatheadpower.com/BB/viewtopic.php?t=8113

john

Return to Talk To Us