FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

49 Panhead

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

Longpig

Post Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:00 am

49 Panhead

Hello, I have a 49 panhead restoration I am working on and was interested in doing it with a springer front end. I understand there were a handful of these produced from the factory, most of which were setup for a sidecar although a few came as solo riders. My question is Were the springers offset like in 47 and 48 or because of potentail sidecar use were they inline? and Did they run the horn on the springer itself or was it mounted on the downtube mounts? Thanks in advance for any info received. Wayne
<<

Chris Haynes

Post Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:39 am

The 1949 Springer bikes have a serial number that sets them apart from non Springer units. Most AMCA Judges know how to spot a true 1949 Springer model.
With that being said the Springer is the offset springer with fork lock as used in 1948. The horn is on the Springer. The 1948 front fender was used. There were no Springer solo bikes built in 1949.
<<

panfreak

Post Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:54 pm

Chris,
Could you elaborate a little on the serial number uniqueness, I know a guy in town with a '49 springer, and am curious as to the originality.
<<

Chris Haynes

Post Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:37 pm

Panfreak,
You have a private message
<<

Longpig

Post Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:16 am

Chris, Thanks for the response. I am familiar with the designated "P" in the VIN # for the springer models. I do not plan on having the bike judged by the AMCA as it is not a "P" model I just like the look of the 48 and could not find much info on the 49 springer model and want close to original. I bought a 49 Roller w/a inline springer front end possibly a BT flattie setup, then found a 49 fL motor. If I find a telescopic front end I will probably buy and store for later. I know you stated that there were no solo model springers sold in 49, although in Greg Fields book he stated that some solos were sold with springers as well as telescopic sidecars setups in 1949. I know you can't believe everything you read but was wondering which is actually correct. I am constantly amazed at the wealth of information this forum contains and appreciate all the knowlege you share. thanks again, Wayne
<<

Chris Haynes

Post Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:03 pm

I would love to see Mr. Fields factory documentation that solo springer models were sold in 1949.
Mr. Fields "Restoration Guides" are full of bogus information. Like all the pretty pictures of over chromed and custom painted "Restorations. His books have done a lot of damage to a novice who uses it as gospel.
<<

Longpig

Post Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:45 pm

Chris, Greg's book has big color pictures and is a good coffee table book. In my garage I refer to the factory H-D service / parts manuals, Kirk Perry's "Mechanics and Owners Guide" as well as Bruce Palmer III's book which is my gospel. I was fortunate enough to acquire one of Bruce's older restorations. It is currently a 91.5 point AMCA judged 47 FL. What is your take on Bruce's book ? and what do you think about the AMCA judging system? My plan was to try and achieve as close to a 100 point restoration as I can on that bike and still have as a rider.( it will be no trailer queen).I would rather have an 85 point rider than a 100 point trailer trophy. I have heard criticism on the judging, judges in the AMCA but I think that is as close an authourity that I can access to examine and critique my bike. Any other suggestions from you guy's would be appreciated. Thanks, Wayne
<<

Chris Haynes

Post Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:41 pm

There are things wrong with Bruce's book. We all know that. Bruce was rushed on the book by the publisher. After the first printing Bruce submitted 600 corrections to the book to the publisher. The publisher changed only 200 of them and refuses to do the rest of them.
I have a lot of issues on the AMCA Judging.
Some judges are criticized for being too critical. The reason, being too critical will make people not enter their machines for judging. Yet on the other hand Chief Judge Kevin Valentine insists that there is no such thing as a 100 point machine.
This year at the Dixon, CA meet I entered an un-restored 1965 Sportster for judging. It had always been my understanding that "Unrestored" bikes could have "Service Items" that were not original parts. Things like chains, light bulbs, tires, hose clamps, spark plugs, cables, ETC. Things that wear out and are replaced in normal service. This New York judge hammered my Sportster because it was his "Opinion" that any factory hose clamps removed must be replaced with factory hose clamps. I would like to see someone replace all the hose clamps with factory clamps on an assembled motorcycle. He also complained that my brake pedal, which had be repainted, did not have any patina on it. I didn't know that a bike was required to have patina :lol: . I had repainted the sheet metal on this bike as it had already had a custom job on it. I figured as long as I was going to get a 6 point deduction for a repaint it should at least be the correct color and scheme. So my gas and oil tank, front and rear fender were repainted. They gave me the expected 6 point hit for the repainted gas tank and fenders and an additional 2 point hit for the repainted oil tank. :( I was not given a deduction for not having patina on the tank and fenders :lol: . At any rate, Kevin backed him up on this, saying that oil tanks are not allowed to be repainted under the 6 point hit category. Although there were several other '60's Harley's in the judging with replacement hose clamps that were not gigged for it. Was this vindictive judging because I had corrected that judge on something he judged incorrectly the year before? I think so. :cry:
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:09 am

Question ???????? What if you replace a part in later years with a factory part having a factory part number, that differs from the original installed part, yet is the factory recommendation for replacement ?? Take a look in your parts manuals. You will see many part numbers listed as N/A, yet, dealerships offered simuliar parts as a direct replacement for the N/A parts. Are these replacement parts considered incorrect for judjing purposes ? Pa
<<

Chris Haynes

Post Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:04 pm

PA, The AMCA judges bikes to the way they were when they left the factory. The 1965 Panheads didn't leave the factory with the manifold clamp the dealers were selling in 1967. You can't use a later year model parts book to research what is correct for your bike. It has to be the same year as the bike otherwise you will be in trouble. For instance my 1973 servicar had a hose clamp holding the hydraulic brake line in to the axle housing. I knew that couldn't be correct as I has seen earlier models with a clamp with a rubber insert holding the line in place. I got the 1973 supplement to the earlier model Servicar parts catalogue and there was the part munber for the correct 1973 only clamp assembly. I called a few dozen dealers and finally found a dealer who had one in stock. I gave them my credit card number and waited by the door for UPS to deliver it. I tore the box open and had a good look at,,,,my new hose clamp!
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:48 am

Thanks for the answer Chris. I kind of figured that would be the way it was. Pa
<<

STROKER

Post Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:37 pm

My '62 SERVI uses a clamp,similiar to the stock O-ring intake clamps,except for a dimple in it for the brake line. This bike is completely stock,and I 've known who has owned it since 1972. STROKER

Return to Pans