FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Aluminum head refurbishing

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

Graybeard

Post Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:24 am

Aluminum head refurbishing

I have a set of k heads that will need some cracks welded, probably plug inserts and a gasket surface mill cut.(assuming that is needed after welding)

Who or where can I get this done?

Thanks!!!
Aries51 (AKA Graybeard)
ROB in AZ

"Get on your bad motor scooter and ride"-Sammy Hagar
<<

Johnny

Post Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:27 am

G,
Try Creekside welding at http://www.creeksidemc.com/index.html or Head Hog at http://www.headhog.com/.
Tom, at Creekside does my aluminum work and does an excellent job, but I have also heard great things about Head Hog.
Best to call and talk to both of them.
<<

Johnny

Post Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:27 pm

I had a long conversation last Sunday with Don at Head Hog. He returned my call on a Sunday so that alone shows he cares. Anyways.......he is a wealth of knowledge with regards to metallurgy and the welding of exotic materials and dissimilar metals. I was very impressed and sent him a 1930 engine case to repair. If anyone cares I will report back how it comes out. In the mean time, he too has several examples of his work on his website.
<<

Johnny

Post Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:00 am

Sleeper,
Got the engine case back a couple of weeks ago and was impressed with Don's work. A little more than what he quoted, but good work nonetheless. I'm sure he'd be more challanged with something you described than just filling and re-tapping a small hole as in my case, but I'm planning on sending him more work in the near future.

Return to Services Sought