FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Twin cams

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

nationalzjug

Post Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:55 pm

Twin cams

:D thanx Pa, Twinn Cams are Harleys too...basically they work the same with the exception of better machining...I've had guys over and I fire up the old 45 because they don't believe it could run as well as the modern motor and they are so similar it's hard to believe that they are 64 years apart...I like them both...I'm gonna miss the ol' bobber when she goes ,but then somebody else will be as happy as me....and I will get another old one after the dust from the house settles a little....and as Knuckle Tim says "the Bitch is black!!!"...................Paul
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:21 am

Thank FHP Paul. Something for everyone !! :D

I sure would love to own your bobber Man !! Wish I had the spare change to buy it. That is one fine machine !!! Pa
<<

Curt!

Post Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:58 pm

paul;
Since your 45 has twice as many cams as a twin cam does it run twice as fast? or twice as slow. :lol:
Curt!
<<

nationalzjug

Post Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:03 pm

Twin Cams

:) Curt!, you know it's twice as fast ,but I'll never know.. I'm the slow rider...heh,heh :lol: I hope to get it through all 6 yeah,6 gears, someday.. thanx,FHP...and Pa the one thing about tank shift is: if your legs ain't working right you could easily hook up a stick ands push the clutch up and down...like your boy's sporty,you might be able to do a Rube Goldberg loop around the shifter with a stick up to the tank and shift it like that....I'm shure glad you get to ride again...Curt helped me with my shift gate last year so the photos JK has are old,but now it has a gate with an 8 ball on it...to complete the look of those old Indian bobbers I saw in the late 50's that those Thunderbirds had....there would be plenty of room on the 45 for one of your electric starters too...thanx guys ,Paul
<<

nationalzjug

Post Wed Aug 02, 2006 6:15 am

tc88

yeah I've noticed the heat, the 45 I've never noticed heat coming off the heads as much...
<<

h.d.ryder

Post Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:03 pm

Evo heads

Sleeper,that`s interesting,I did not know that a stock twincam set of heads flows 10% less than a stock 80 '' Evo. Maybe that`s why my shovel feels a lot quicker than the ol-lady`s stock 04 Dyna.
Larry
<<

indianut

Post Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:57 pm

I bought a wrecked 2000 Fuel-Injected Twin Cam Roadking in 2000 with 3000 miles on it. I fixed it with all Harley parts and left it 100% stock. In the next 6 years I put 25,000 miles on it mostly on the highway, including some cross-Country. It never even hiccoughed in that time. It performed FLAWLESSLY! I never could get comfortable with the fact that EVENTUALLY something was going to break that my Motorcycle experience and tools would not let me diagnose or repair. It also, even though performing perfectly, never had much of a Harley-Like feel to it. It just seemed kinda generic. Due to my fear of sometime having to pay someone to WORK ON MY MOTORCYCLE i sold it last month and bought a slightly wrecked 1998 Evolution Road King with a carb. In less than one mile I felt a familiarness that i couldn't find on the Twin-Cam in 6 years and now i ride with the confidence that not only can I diagnose anything that can happen to it, I can also FIX IT MYSELF! I could make it run with a Cone-Shovel points plate and coil if I have to on the road. The only tool you need with a Twin-Cam is a cell phone and I still don't have one!
<<

krazy loop

Post Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:48 pm

The closest I ever got to an EVO was seeing those that belonged to some of my friends. I never rode one although I hear they are fabulous with 65,000 trouble free miles for an engine being common. Lately I have been seriously thinking about a new barge i.e., E-glide, for long range blasts which normally means Blondilocks will make life miserable if she doesn't get to come along, even though that isn't my preferred method of riding by any means. I just noticed that the new 2007 Twin Cams are throwing around 96 stock cubes which should mean plenty of torque and hp for my purposes. Twin Cam bikes are longer than the 70s and earlier bikes I am used to but the more I think about it the added length is probably a plus going two-up. I might need slightly longer pullbacks than I normally use but it is tempting. The price of $18k - $20K isn't exactly cheap but I just checked out some new Chrysler 300s and a Crossfire and they get as high as $47k---JESUS H!!!!!

Indianut, the idea of NOT touching anything (or having to) appeals to me for a Twin Cam. I still have all the fun I want and need on a daily basis playing with my old stash of pans and knuckles, and a shovel or two here and there. There were many other things I could have done with the time I spent on old hogs but I wouldn't have missed that for anything and still can't imagine doing anything else when it comes to tinkering with bikes. That was a lifetime of fun.
New Knuckleheads? Thank, you, Jesus!!
<<

nationalzjug

Post Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:22 pm

tc88

Loop, longer? I just saw my buddie's 1974 Superglide and it seems to be the same size as my 2006 Superglide...the exception of the 17" rear wheel on the new one and it has 49mm forks instead of 39mm on the old one....wish mine had a kickstarter...I'm gonna miss firing up the old 45...
"I don't wanna pickle,just wanna ride on my motorsikle." Arlo Guthrie c1970
<<

krazy loop

Post Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:45 pm

I am not looking at the spec sheets in the 70 and up manual and on HD's present website at the moment but the last time I did I believe Twin Cams are about 4 inches longer than Shovel models, something on the order of 93 inches to 89 or so. I have never ridden a Twin Cam as of this time but I was scoping them at the dealer and can say from sitting on a new Road King (or Road Glide?) that it sure seemed a lot longer reach to the bars and through the engine section generally. I am 6' tall so I normally don't have much trouble reaching for anything. Shortly after that when I came home I sat on my 51 rigid Pan chopper with a 1/2" rake and 4" over wide glide. Overall the Pan is smaller than a Twin Cam, a lot smaller. The Pan sits a lot lower, however, which is the part I like the best.

I can't say one way or the other that the above applies to current Superglide models.
<<

Speedy

Post Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:43 am

I'm new to this forum, so this is my first post. I'm 54 and have been around bikes and biking people all my life. I have owned Pans, Shovels and Evos. Two years ago I bought and rebuilt a totaled '01 F.I. Road King. I agree that there are many 'different' things about these two cams. I have ridden it from the Gulf coast to Chicago and back twice. I love how it runs on the interstate. These things cruise at 90 mph and don't miss a beat. This is the hottest (temp.) running machine I've ever had. It also has the poorest low speed handling of anything I've ridden. I don't know if it's just me, but the front end occasionally has a 'spooky' feeling at high speed. A weak battery dramatically effects the performance of this bike. There is no way to 'tune' this bike, aside from spending the bucks for a Power Commander. Now, I don't want to sound like I'm 2 cam bashing. I do like this bike, but I won't have another one. I think I'll go with a big inch Evo if I decide to sell the 2 cam. Just some observations. Later............Speedy
<<

Kurt

Post Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:55 pm

Welcome Speedy!

I agree with these being "the hottest (temp.) running machine I've ever had" I rented an Ultra this summer when I went on vacation in the States. Rode it from Ohio to Washington D.C. with no problems.....running over 100 mph at times, but when I got into traffic in D.C., I couldn't sit on the bike. I'm sure it looked funny...me standing up at every light, but it would've given me burns on my legs if I didn't. I had to get out of D.C. and back on the road after 45 minutes of enduring the heat.....took taxi cabs the rest of the time. I have a '95 Ultra that I ride in Europe and have put a heat shield under my seat to protect my legs, but it's never run anywhere near as hot as the 2006 model I had. Sorry, but if I was to buy another Ultra now, it wouldn't be a twin cam. Can't wait to see how hot the new 96ci gets....

Kurt
<<

krazy loop

Post Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:57 pm

I wonder if an oil cooler might help but I suspect it wouldn't be all that noticeable if it did.

Billy, I wonder if that wasn't the factory's way of getting you to buy Screaming Eagle heads.
<<

krazy loop

Post Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:30 am

Billy, I meant SE heads for better breathing purposes, not heat reduction.

BTW, I noticed 96ers don't get dick for gas mileage---what a surprise. I had a car that got better than that. As for the extra heat, it probably helps in cooler weather but slowly kills engine life. Anyway, I am talking myself into trying a TC maybe within the next year. Now I just have to find room for it.
<<

Speedy

Post Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:26 pm

Yes my F.I. 2 cam is HOT. It is unbearable at stop lights in the good old Louisiana sunshine. I put header wrap on both exhaust pipes to save my right foot and left leg. Someone asked if I felt a performance increase from the wrap. I said no, but I now could put my feet down at a stoplight without having to skooch around trying to keep my pants and leg from catching fire! All that heat can't be good for the motor. I don't think sitting on a Boss Hoss V8 could be much warmer. Now I'm curious about the 96 incher too. (Hemi Heads?) I don't believe an oil cooler would do much on my bike either. I'll admit that I'm still learning about this engine. I'm not totally lost, I still have my Shovelhead!
<<

indianut

Post Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:57 pm

It appears to me that to e REAL Harley Rider the twin cam is a JOKE! DON"T do it K.L.!
<<

krazy loop

Post Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:10 pm

Thanks for the advice, Indianut. The fact of the matter is I am just starting to get used to the idea of the electric start alternator shovel engine and have yet to graduate to a foot shift hand clutch set up on my hogs. Why the government doesn't make every shifter mechanism illegal except jockey lids is beyond me.

I will say this, however. This past summer I blasted around a bit on a couple of BMW 4 cylinder racers, one a 2003 130hp K1200RS and the second a 2005 167hp K1200S. Amazing as it sounds the first is around 1170cc's and the second is just about 1200cc's. Jesus H, are those things fast and powerful. Cracking 4th hard on the S at 60 mph can pull the front wheel off the ground for about 40 yards. It's too bad for us that our old HDs can't crank that kind of power from 74 cubes. Both are liquid cooled but any stop makes the temperature gauge start to go through the roof. When stopped for more than a minute, like for a train, you need to shut them off. If you don't and they get hot enough the electronics will shut the enine off for you until it cools back down to avoid overheating damage. Right after you have stopped for more than a very short time and then crank down a highway at higher speeds, they both take maybe 3+ minutes to cool to the normal range. And remember, I live in Michigan, not Florida or Louisiana, so while we can get some 100 degree days here we don't get continuous 96+ degree days all summer like the deep South. The RS will toast your feet and ankles in the summer right through your boots at lower speeds. So, from that and what the bro's here say, it seems the present time is the day of the flamethrower as far as heat put to the rider goes on modern bikes. The only point in my favor is that I live in a primarily rural area with major highways close by so I don't have top stop and sit around on a running bike all that much. And with both BMWs, like newer HDs, about the only thing an owner can do to either of them is put in gas, oil, brake fluid, and air in the tires. A computer runs the entire bike. Handlebar position adjustments don't exist at all. Even changing oil on them is a major pain in the ass. Thinking about this makes me recall rewiring my 51 pan at 3 am under a streetlight when I fried a coil wire (and a few others as well). At least I was able to bypass the igintion switch with some wire from the lights, rewire the coil circuit, fire it up, and ride home in the dark. On the other hand, the new factory bikes aren't supposed to have that problem these days---until they do. Then your GPS lets the company road service truck find you.

Those BMWs are fine machines to be sure, but riding either one isn't exactly an adventure the likes of which we are used to with the old stuff we have.
<<

Speedy

Post Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:31 am

Just to show that things are not all bad, here's a pic of my scooter. This thing looked like it had gone through a trash masher when I got it. They just dumped it in the back of my truck with a forklift when I picked it up from the insurance company. The guy that crashed it is the luckiest guy I ever met. He got two black eyes and a sore butt and walked away from the wreck.
[img][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/Speedyhd1/HPIM0941.jpg[/img][/img]
<<

BREWSKI

Post Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:34 pm

You can say what you want about TWIN CAMS,but I'm happy;my 2000 road king just clicked over 42,000 miles,3 rear tires,2 front, 3 sets of brake pads,one clutch cable. Just ordered a '07 ULTRA. BREWSKI
<<

JohnR

Post Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:10 pm

Speedy

Whats that cover thing on your front exhaust pipe?
Next

Return to Twin Cams