FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Triumph trans

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

labtec

Post Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:36 am

Triumph trans

Someone of you guys have any experience mounting a T110 trans into a 45 frame?

Thanks,

PH.
<<

BREWSKI

Post Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:18 pm

What did you want to know? Currently adapting a 900 XL clutch to a pre-unit trans;object is to run electric start/belt drive. BREWSKI
<<

enigmas

Post Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:15 pm

Brewski...sounds interesting. I want to do something similar with my magnum motor (but using a Norton/AMC box) now that it's reached the assembly stage. Could you keep me and perhaps any other interested parties posted on this endeavour.
~ Vince
<<

labtec

Post Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:52 am

Brewski , I like to know if someone did this already,I d'ont want to
cut the frame(cradle)too much.
Looking at Vince's bike it seems that the Triumph trans is
bigger than the BSA and more difficult to mount , I think...

PH.
<<

Beachdog

Post Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:47 am

I've done it without cutting the frame at all. Set the bottom pivot point of the gearbox onto the frame and align the primary chain. Then mock up a mount that will fit into the original trans box on the frame and have two uprights to hold the T110 bottom pivot bolt. I did this using a badly damaged 3-bolt trans case which I sectioned to get the bottom portion of my new mount. To this I added aluminum stock to cradle the pivot point. I used the original Triumph steel upper trans mounts and made a piece to bolt onto the frame clutch cable plate on the seatpost that holds a tube which fits between those Triumph steel mounts and accepts the thru bolt. It looks like a mousetrap eliminator clutch cable bracket with a steel cross tube welded to it. The gearbox can be moved with the original H-D adjuster and also pivots on the Triumph mounts. I made a threaded adjuster that goes from those mounting plates to the seatpost to adjust the tension of the primary chain prior to locking down the bolts. Last, I made the new bottom mount beefy enough to accept and support a thru shaft so I could move the shifter to the left side of the bike. I went thru all this hassle so that I would not have to cut an original frame and so that I could put the set-up into any 3-bolt 45 frame I wished. In fact I mocked the whole thing up in one frame to use in another frame that was powder coated and waiting for the final assembly. The motor is slowly being built as time permits. Hope this helps. 'dog
<<

labtec

Post Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:12 pm

Thanks Dog , I have an old trans and gonna look for the upper
mounts.

PH.
<<

slowrider

Post Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:22 am

Philip,
you got mail!
Flat black'll get you back!
<<

slowrider

Post Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:23 am

Philip,
you got mail!
<<

slowrider

Post Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:24 am

Philip,
you got mail!

Johnny
<<

BREWSKI

Post Fri Apr 28, 2006 4:21 pm

Vince,I machined a piece of aluminum similar to what BEACHDOG was saying. The hub adapter on the TRIUMPH mainshaft has splines that are very close to the XL clutch hub,I'm not sure what Triumph actually calls it,but I milled the splines to fit the XL hub,since the clutch actuation is similiar on either bike,it was rather straight forward. Planning on using a complete ironhead starter assembly,haven't decided the final mounting yet,still got the KR cylinders off the engine to machine them for the KR intake('68-'69). Will keep you posted as this progresses.. BREWSKI
<<

enigmas

Post Sun Apr 30, 2006 5:50 am

Thanks Brewski.
<<

BREWSKI

Post Sun Apr 30, 2006 1:59 pm

Got a chance to play with the toys today,for the unintiated Triumph people;the 750 sprocket shaft and the XL sprocket shaft are very close;spline wise as the clutch hub. Almost to where you could press the sprocket assembly on the shaft.,making a XL belt drive almost a bolt on.Which is where I got started on this electric starter setup,between mounting a Triumph alternator on the XL sprocket shaft,and machining a BILLET ALUMINUM oil pump body(ala XR750),this is the reason the KR/WL is still apart. Decided to mount a aluminum plate off the trans mount(as 'DOG and I stated)vertically;one piece .375" or thicker. It would be easy to machine with a SAWALL,jig saw,holesaw,etc.,picture framing the plate to fit around the trans case,providing a base to mount the starter assembly,running the plate tall enough to mount the starter housing. THIS IS ALL STRICTLY CONJECTURE AT THIS POINT,THIS IS STILL UNDER DEVELOPMENT. BREWSKI
<<

enigmas

Post Mon May 01, 2006 8:04 am

Excuse my ignorance Brewski, but do you have any pics of how the starter works and engages on the 900. Does it operate off a ring gear on the back of the clutch basket?
~ Vince
<<

BREWSKI

Post Wed May 03, 2006 2:39 pm

Vince,the best thing to do would be to look at a Sportster manual,Yes thr ring gear is on the back of the clutch basket,unlike the TRIUMPH electric start setup. BREWSKI

Return to Morthodites-"Non Factory"