Board index Flathead Power-Technical Questions, Answers, and Suggestions Big Twin Flatties resleeving ULH cylinder

resleeving ULH cylinder

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

Post Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:10 pm

I have a badly damaged UL cylinder with a sleeve already in it. How best to remove this sleeve for repair?

Post Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:31 pm

I have never done this on a motorcycle sleeve but in dry sleeve tractors it works great. We weld vertically up and down on the sleeve until it drops out. The weld shrinks the sleeve.

Post Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:41 pm

The welding works, and you can also bore the sleeve out until it is very thin, and then it will just peel out.

Post Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:53 pm

i actually have always used the bore out till then idea
never thought of jerry's idea
i think if i was to try that i'd heat the cyl b4 welding it cause welds expand b4 they contract and under expansion it may want to crack the cyl

Post Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:11 pm

The weld idea will probably work fine, I use a similer technique to remove valve seats. Running around the top of the seat with a tig torch untel the seat pops out. 8) I agree, pre-heating is probably a good idea, especially on that old iron.

Post Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:00 pm

Another trick is you warm the cylinder then pack the sleeve with dry ice or use a Co2 fire extinguisher to cool the sleeve, it usually will drop right out.

Return to Big Twin Flatties