FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

38UL

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

knucklehead61

Post Mon Jun 27, 2005 8:42 pm

38UL

Hey guys, I have a chance to buy an almost complete 1938UL engine for 2K.I think he said it was missing the valves and needs a rebuild.Is this a good price and what should I ask or look for.Like I said before I'm new to Harley Flatheads so I can use all the help I can get.
<<

knucklehead61

Post Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:34 pm

OPPS it's a 39UL,don't think it really matters though.
<<

Graham

Post Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:47 pm

Considering that bare cases are going for $800. and up it might be a good deal...make sure you get both oil pumps, pull the drain plug and look at what comes out of the lower end, find a thin magnet that you can insert into the drain hole...looking for metal fragments, pull the heads off to check them and the cylinder tops, make sure the surfaces aren't too pitted. Plan on new pistons and bearings, most likely new bushings for the cams. Us your best judgement, new parts will cost you.
Graham
<<

100incscoot

Post Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:06 am

thats a smokin deal if yopu dont buy it give me the contact info i will buy it
<<

panic

Post Tue Jun 28, 2005 4:14 am

If the motor is apart be careful what you're getting. Some frequent "accidents" (non-UL parts sold with basket):
FL rod set (too short)
45 or Sportster cams (don't fit)
FL flywheels (shorter stroke)
45 cam cover (looks very similar to 1940-48, but smaller)
Also: cylinders already bored to max (74 bored to 80 + .060)
Bad VIN
Non-matching case halves

------------------
Amal Monobloc & Concentric carburetor information? Coming soon, click here.
<<

100incscoot

Post Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:05 am

panic you give good reason to buy from someone that knows what they are selling
<<

yp

Post Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:52 am

Depending on what your building...if not an original bike but something made up of parts,would`nt it be better if the engine had 2 non-matching very good condition case halves,as opposed to a bad set with matching numbers...harley was selling these as sepperate parts back then.....Just a thought....
<<

panic

Post Tue Jun 28, 2005 1:52 pm

Sure, those things don't cancel the deal, as long as you know to negotiate the price.
My least-fave is people who aren't trying to cheat you, they just don't know what they have ("my friend told me it's all original... just before he went to jail"), and don't want to listen.
<<

knucklehead61

Post Tue Jun 28, 2005 6:20 pm

I have 2 Pics,but that really doesn't help me out.See, I live in Boston MA and the engine is in GA.
How do I ad a Picture with my post ?
Thanks for all the info....Nils
<<

Graham

Post Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:28 pm

Doesn't Panhead City have it on their site? If it's the one I think it is it didn't sell on ebay.
Graham
<<

knucklehead61

Post Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:15 pm

YUP ! thats it do you think it might be worth it or what ?
<<

Graham

Post Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:28 pm

I'd want to see it up close and personal before I spent the money...it looked pretty crusty, but it really depends on what you want to do with the engine. I would want to see how many fins on the cylinders 11 or 13, bore size, fin condition (cylinders and heads), and feel of the lower end when turned by hand. You already know that it will need the entire valve train and covers, maybe lifters and lifter blocks (couldn't tell in the picture on ebay). Ask if it needs a complete rebuild or just a top end.
Ask your self how much you are willing to spend to rebuild the engine, what your purpose is, and how much time you are willing to invest in the project.
Graham
<<

nationalzjug

Post Wed Jun 29, 2005 12:19 am

Hey guys What is the value when complete?5k?are you gonna have to put 3k into it? and then,how much in labor? it is worth restoring if you value preservation of an American antique...they ain't makin' no more of um ya know? I only know these things from dealing with and restoring old musical instruments for over 30 years...another thing to consider is:are you gonna make it your baby? that's how I approach another guys guitar, like it's his baby and there isn't another one...priceless! if you're putting it together to make money on it forget it! do it for LOVE, just my 2 cents worth, Paul
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Wed Jun 29, 2005 12:38 am

I couldn't agree with you more Paul. I couldn't say it more eliquently either. The cost of restoring always over runs the value of the finished project. It does at least 99.9% of the time. One man's gold is another man's junk and vice versa. A gem stone may well be worth a million bucks but if that same gem stone was once the prize possession of Her Majesty whom ever, it may be a hundred times more valuable to that special someone out there. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and as thus, values are the same. "I'm On A Roll!!" LOL!! Pa
<<

100incscoot

Post Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:00 am

HE'S BUILDING A CHOPPER OR BOBBER AND TRY BUYING THAT STUFF REPOP
ITS REAL PRICEY BUT YOU GET THE PERFORMANCE THE STOCK STUFF DOESNT HAVE
IF I WAS BUILDING IT FOR MYSELF I'D BUY THE PRIMO STUFF FROM ANDERS
YES THE MOTOR I OFFERED HIM IS $1000 MORE BUT ASK PA OR JACK HESTER OR HOW ABOUT JOHN WILSON OR ANY OF THE MANY THAT I HAVE SOLD TO HERE HOW I TREAT MY CUSTOMERS AND IF THEY THINK I KNOW WHAT I'M SELLING WHEN I SELL IT
NILS YOUR GONNA GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR
IF YOU BUY THE CHEAPEST MOTOR YOUR GONNA GET JUST THAT OR IF YOU BUY THE PRICEY STUFF ANDERS MAKES YOU WILL BE HAPPY YOU DID
<<

Graham

Post Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:53 am

Nils, like Scoot said you get what you pay for, like Jug & Pa if it's your baby you don't care how much time and dollars. Guess what I was trying to get to earlier was, do you want a historiclly correct machine or a daily rider, stock or hot rod...need to figure all those things before spending the coin just because a "rebuildable" engine is offered.
If you're thinking hot rod rider I would start by bugging Anders to get the NEW flathead engines into production, just my nickel on the subject.
Graham
<<

100incscoot

Post Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:35 am

I WONT PUT WORDS IN NIL'S MOUTH BUT MY IMPRESSION WAS HE IS BEING SPEND THRIFT
AND WANTS A HOT ROD AT THE SAME TIME
THESE OLD SCOOTS ARE NOT CHEAP TO BUILD SO IF YOUR GONNA DO IT YOU BECAUSE YOU LOVE THESE BIKES GENERALY ITS A GOOD IDEA TO NOT HAVE A CALCULATOR ON THE SHOP BENCH EXCEPT FOR BALANCING THE WHEELS
<<

knucklehead61

Post Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:54 pm

wow,didn't expect to get all this feed back.Here's basicly what I'm looking for,A Flathead engine that will put out aroud 40 or so HP and be reliable.As far as the rest of the bike,I'm going for the bobber look.
I really don't know if I should buy a complete engine or start with cases and build from there.
I would like new cases from Flathead power.....but when I'm finnished I'm left with a bike that has to be inspected by the Massachusetts State Police and have a bill of sale for everything.If you don't have a signed recipt for everything no BLUE TAG AND NO TITLE. plus it will be titled as a 2005.... bin there and done that. Yup ! my state sucks,I have to stick with the old vin # so I can get a title and not deal with the B.S.And get this, I will have to pay for sales tax on the bike when it's finnished... YUP !BOOK Value on a big twin flathead .....welcome to Massachusetts.I had to go through this a few times 32 ford p/u,40 plymouth p/u and a 31 ford coupe all traditional style.
And yes I do have a lot to learn , I'm still in my twenties.So thanks for all the info from you guys , Nils
<<

nationalzjug

Post Thu Jun 30, 2005 12:40 am

Nils from what I know ,I'd buy Scoot's motor..You never know what kind of crap you're gonna end up with on E-bay..one minute they are there and POOF they're GONE.. get a motor from somebody who knows 'em....flatheads are the most reliable
old motor you can get, but if you get something that's layed in a farm puddle in Georgia for 40 years you got scrap...best to start with a solid base and go from there,if you've built a couple of old pickups you know the process...you have to live in your state and go by their laws, but you've got a good start kid,keep rolling it'll keep ya outa trouble working in the shop...good luck, PHP

------------------
"I don't wanna pickle,just wanna ride on my motorsikle." Arlo Guthrie c1970
<<

ULFlathead

Post Thu Jun 30, 2005 2:29 am

If the cases are good and you have good cyclinders and heads, along with the criteria Panic mentioned earlier with good VIN and matching belly numbers, I'd say go for it. If it doesn't have a title then youmay have a bit of a wait going through International Title Service to get the bike titled for the year and make it is instead of the 2005/6 malarky.
Have you seen what the original big twin flattie engines have been selling for already rebuilt? IF you can find one lately? Should you put $3000 of your money into the engine you'll still have your value.....but build the bike because you LOVE it and want it....not because you're looking to make money off of it.
Good luck with your decision!
Next

Return to Big Twin Flatties