FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

80 ULH update

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

47knuck

Post Wed Jun 15, 2005 10:37 pm

80 ULH update

Thanks to the folks on this board I have some news on the Flatty project. Cotton: Thanks for the heads up on the intake leak test. And thanks for the words of encouragement about the intake nipple. Both Cyls are off. Found two ex valves in one cyl so I took it to a friend who loves flatheads. I will get new nipples, rings and if the HD valves can be saved a valve grind. If not there are a new set ready to install. One of the heads shows a poor seal in one area so they will get checked for flat and the cyls will too. I got an education in the lifter and valve adjust covers and got to learn some new and old stuff over again. The "permatex" shit on the cases will be the next issue and the pistons are OK. Is it normal for the ex valve to sit lower in the seat than the intake? Is this due to more wear and tear here? Next is the bent kicker and I found that you have to fit it to the bushing. Easy but not a bolt in. Has any one put the bottom stop/mount for the pogo stick back in an old frame? I think a heavy washer the correct size could be centered and welded. Good idea or bad? Will let you know what the machineist says later this week I hope. Again thanks to all who helped and those who make this a good place. Ride it like ya stole it.

------------------
Steve H
<<

Cotten

Post Thu Jun 16, 2005 2:56 am

Steve!

Your intuition is correct about the exhausts suffering more than the intakes.

If you can keep the temperatures down, your next rebuild will never suffer such abuse!
<<

100incscoot

Post Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:13 am

they exaust will always erode away faster then the intake
fire eats metal faster then ice ALWAYS
<<

47knuck

Post Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:13 pm

Thanks to Cotton and 100inchscoot. I have enjoyed the comments and look forward to some riding soon. Utah weather is good again 88 today. The Knuck is about ready and the flatty is on the mend. Now all I gotta do is finish the paperwork and go. Image

RIDE HAPPY

------------------
Steve H

Return to Big Twin Flatties