FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Grandpa's motorcycling home movies- Now on DVD!

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

knucklenuts

Post Thu Feb 17, 2005 8:50 am

Grandpa's motorcycling home movies- Now on DVD!

I've had these movies professionally transfered to VHS video & now available on DVD. Late 30's - early 40's home movies of the guys & gals of the Greensboro, NC M/C Club in action in the good old days! Most are in color [rare in the 30's]. Road Runs, field games, stunt shows & LOTS of racing, including flat track, T.T. and the 1939 Daytona Beach Race in color! All set to a sound track of big band & popular tune instrumentals. Also included as a bonus is some 1950's racing action w/ grandpa's commentary identifying the riders, including the 1956 Daytona Beach Race [in color].... Harley VL's, Knucks, big & little Flatheads and Indians too! 50's has WR's & KR's.... 2 full hours of unbelievable motorcycle action! MUST SEE!... I get misty eyed everytime I watch it, sad to have missed these great times, when life was simpler and these bikes were NEW! These folks seem to be having so much fun! At least we have these images to remember what it was like. And we now own these bikes!...Great quality copies for sale.... Great for watching on a cold night thinking of riding days ahead.... Sorry for the shameless self promotion, but these images need to be shared w/ people who love this stuff.... Now on DVD- for details click this link; http://community-2.webtv.net/knuckles4e ... torcycle0/ - Happy Motoring, KnuckleBill

[This message has been edited by knucklenuts (edited 17 February 2005).]
Last edited by knucklenuts on Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
<<

Andrew J. Hester

Post Thu Feb 17, 2005 2:12 pm

knucklenuts -

I'm up for a copy. We're practically neighbors. I'm over in Roxboro. I'll drop you a note. Thanks for providing a piece of great history.

Jack
<<

m/cgeezer1945

Post Thu Feb 17, 2005 2:35 pm

Count me in.. geezer
<<

100incscoot

Post Thu Feb 17, 2005 3:34 pm

i'm in too
<<

JGRWilson

Post Thu Feb 17, 2005 5:05 pm

Knucklenuts,
I sent you an e-mail, but I'm in, too.
Sincerely,
JGRW
<<

37ULH

Post Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:03 pm

Likewise. Sent an e-mail. Thanks!
<<

Curt!

Post Fri Feb 18, 2005 12:35 am

The photo reminds me of a conversation I had with Phil Runser, who raced for Dudley Perkins during the 40s and 50s. We were talking about how far a fellow could ride a WL in reverse before he fell down. It was common then, as in my 45, to use G-model trannys in WLs. I was pretty proud of the fact that I could go 2 city blocks in rewind before my neck got cramped and had to quit. Phil said "To heck with looking over your shoulder, put the bike in gear and sit on the handlebars, you can ride all day like that." Sorry, but mine's a suicide clutch. While they were going from town to town on the flattrack tour they would try to stump each other with riding skills. He said he had a WR with the wheels laced 1" off center. He reflected on the number of top racers that had their egoes bruised trying to stay on that bike.
I could have talked with him for hours, unfortunately we only conversed for a couple hours.

[This message has been edited by Curt! (edited 18 February 2005).]
<<

100incscoot

Post Fri Feb 18, 2005 5:44 am

that guy sounds like he had some good ol story's
<<

steph

Post Fri Feb 18, 2005 7:44 am

Knucklenuts do you have any copys in european VHS so we can enjoy these memories in Europe?
As I had some videos from the states that didn't give anything (different system?)
TIA Stéph
<<

Eric @ B.O.S

Post Fri Feb 18, 2005 11:11 am

That video sounds great! I'll take a copy if I can figure out the Paypal thing from overseas.

Have you thought of maybe digitalizing it somehow and putting those videos on DVD? VHS has tendency to age really bad...
Eric

------------------
Eric @ B.O.S
www.beautyofspeed.com
A state of the art power quest
<<

knucklenuts

Post Sat Feb 19, 2005 1:01 am

I've had several members buy and several inquiries on these tapes. Thanks for the support! Not sure about non U.S.A vcr's being compatable, check what works in your area. I haven't joined the DVD generation yet. Maybe in the future. Players are cheap but recorders are not. Hell, I just started trusting music CD's. I'm a dinosaur, I still ride 70 year old motorcycles. Happy Motoring, KnuckleBill
<<

krazy loop

Post Sat Feb 19, 2005 4:46 am

Call a recording studio in your area and they can knock off the tape onto a DVD for relatively cheap. You can either make more originals that way or make taped copies from the tape although they will be slightly lesser quality this way. Or you can make more copies of the DVD which will be the same as the (now) original DVD.
<<

bikerider45

Post Sun Feb 20, 2005 3:31 pm

If someday you got these movies converted on DVD, i will be much interested in buying a copie.
The (USA) VCR is not working good in my area, thus not valid.
feeling sorry.
JP
<<

Frankenstein

Post Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:43 am

knucklenuts, If you had your tapes dubbed by a professional duplicating house they should be able to make dubs in the usual European formats. The most popular being PAL (Phase Alternate Line, if you needed to know). France supposedly uses SECAM(Systeme Electronique Couleur Avec Memoire)But I think they actually use PAL for the set top VCR's.
Over here the system is called NTSC, for National Television Standards Committee. (or in the trade, Never Twice the Same Color)
A quick web search for "ntsc-pal duplication"
gave me lots of places that will make dubs. The differences are all about how to transmit a color tv signal, and every country had a better idea. The French system makes the best picture, but the U.S. started first. (They learned from our mistakes).
Dick
<<

Frankenstein

Post Mon Feb 21, 2005 3:42 pm

DC, DVD's are great, sure beat tape. Notice the trend how ribbons of vhs tapes are replacing the old trails of 8 track tape along our nation's highways? In the long run a DVD is better. But you still have the PAL vs NTSC problem. However, I just read that some PAL TV sets will play an NTSC DVD, if the region coding is correct. If you're interested here's a site I found with more info. http://www.hkcinema.co.uk/dvdregioncodes.html
Dick
<<

Curt!

Post Wed Feb 23, 2005 4:37 am

knucklenuts
I just finished viewing the movie. WHAT A HOOT!!! They should have stayed with the Big Band soundtrack all the way through, but man what a treasure of a video. I can't see anyone who loves the old bikes and the lifestyle they represent going without this film. The Daytona races on the beach alone are worth the price of the video. Thanks for sharing it with us.
Your grandfather was a pretty good cameraman to boot.
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Fri Feb 25, 2005 2:58 am

I had the pleasure of viewing this film today and may I say I was quite honored also. This is one of the best historic films from the 30s, 40s, and 50s I have ever seen. Awsome footage!! The folks in this film are certain legends in the racing and riding world in my opinion. I highly recommend this to all who are into Knucks and Flatties!! For me it was just like being there myself. Get this film fellas!! It is well worth it! Pa

[This message has been edited by Pa (edited 25 February 2005).]
<<

Curt!

Post Fri Feb 25, 2005 4:36 am

I didn't notice it until today, but don't shut the VCR off when it says "That's All folks". There's a bunch of 50's races after those 40's movies. Those guys were really cookin' on the K-models. What really got beer comin'out my nose was when the stunt drivers crashed the Model Ts head on for a stunt. What balls! Talk about death defying stunts, LOL
<<

100incscoot

Post Fri Feb 25, 2005 4:49 am

i was probly the first person to get the tape and have been swamped since but damn it i'm getting the whiskey and coke and goin in rite now to see it
<<

injunjack

Post Fri Feb 25, 2005 8:13 am

SO??? Any chance to get this video on DVD format???

That way we europeans will be able to see these movies. IF dvd is/will be available
I'm in for one

Jack/Finland
Next

Return to General Whatever-Technical