Board index Flathead Power-Technical Questions, Answers, and Suggestions Knuckles Drake.......

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

Post Sat Apr 06, 2002 9:11 am

Recieved an e-mail from an old friend with
interesting news...
He´s bought a midget with a Drake Knuckle in
Any info on the Drake engines available out

Post Sat Apr 06, 2002 3:27 pm

Hi Anders,
I can't give you specifics, but one of the "California" magizines did an in depth article on the water cooled Drake Knuckles a couple years ago. It went into the backround of the man and was a very interesting little history.Unfortunately due to mysterious memory loss I can't bring the source to mind...........possibly due to the ravages of the 60's!

Smoke 'em till the wheels fall off!

Post Mon Apr 08, 2002 5:17 pm

Back in the mid 70's Easyrider Magazine did an article on "water cooled knuckleheads" with several pictures. I can't remember what year but maybe if you contacted them they might be of assistance.
-little stan

Post Mon Apr 08, 2002 8:32 pm

I think it's reprinted in one one the Easyrider Tech books (#1??)

As I shows plumbing....

[This message has been edited by Guy Winton III (edited 08 April 2002).]

Post Thu Apr 11, 2002 1:47 pm

I remember an article, with pics, in the novelty softcover, "Earlyriders". A water-cooled knuckle with jackets on the jugs; but I don't recall the Drake name! Midget racers were the application , though.

Post Thu Apr 11, 2002 5:01 pm

Admin, I have a copy of that article in my hand. I will try to get it scanned and to you today. as of this article a guy named Edgar Elder is supposed to have the original patterns

Post Thu Apr 11, 2002 11:28 pm

I think Albert Drake was from Portland Oregon. His kid is alive and writes for one of the hot rod mags. Streetrodder Rodder digest or such. He also has a book out about racing (cars and midgets) in the 40's and 50's ..Perhaps you can buy the book or magazine and contact him! Hope this helps.

Post Fri Apr 12, 2002 2:16 am

There are only two cars that I regret selling, a two man race car from the '30's and a Knuckle head powered midget. I had the midget for about an hour and a friend asked if I'd sell it. Sure did, and for $100.00! it was the early 1970's and I can't fit in a midget. Turned out to be a Pop Dryer built car for Bill Schindler, one of the top drivers in the '40-'50's. It is under retoration now on the other side of the state.

Post Fri Apr 12, 2002 2:40 am

Anders the article is on the way to the "info" e-mail...jb

Return to Knuckles