Board index Flathead Power-Technical Questions, Answers, and Suggestions 45 Flatties 1940 UA and serial number oddity

1940 UA and serial number oddity

Post Mon Feb 03, 2003 8:47 pm

Take a good look at the picture of the serial number on this bike. I believe 100% that it is original and I have noticed this on my 1940 OHV engines - I've got 3.

More specifically look at the '0'. The one in the year is different (fatter) than the one in the sequence.

What do you guys think.

Jerry

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2402145607

Post Mon Feb 03, 2003 11:28 pm

Jerry,
If anything,I don't like the initial "40". I currently have 5 1940's HD's, and none have a sharply pointed and elongated 4 like this one. It seems logical that someone may have stamped the year numbers to change the VIN. It would be interesting to know the crankcase numbers.

Post Tue Feb 04, 2003 12:53 am
Jerry,
We dicussed some theories a while ago on this subject, the interesting one being the sequence being stamped at a later date than the year or model, and by different fellows with a different set of stamps. Same theory on the bottom numbers looking totally different that the boss numbers. I think these cases illustrate it well. FatDog

Post Tue Feb 04, 2003 2:49 am

CrazyEddie - 1941 is the last full year of that 4. They change in 1942 to an open top 4. I believe it is original as that texture behind the numbers is almost impossible to duplicate.

Jerry

Return to 45 Flatties