FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Transmission mainshaft end play

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

George Greer

Post Thu Nov 28, 2002 8:33 am

Transmission mainshaft end play

I am having a fit on my WLA's xmsn..I can't get the endplay to come into spec's.

I have new mainshaft, new thrust washers, new bearings..have measured the thrust washers and they are all correct sizes..

Went step by step by Palmer's book, compaired the army TM's also..but when I assemble the tranny to measure the end-play..the entire thing is locked up tighter than a frog's butt, (and that's waterproof).

Is there anybody that might have the measurments on the main-shaft, clutch gear?
OR is there a difference in clutch gears between model years..ie...two bolt vs. three bolt mounted xmsn's??

Getting frustrated with it..

Thanks all...George
<<

George Greer

Post Thu Nov 28, 2002 2:41 pm

OK. I think that I might have the problem figured out.. Could the bushing that is installed inside the clutch gear be too long??

Does anyone have the spec's for the bushing..I think that it is seated properly, but is is the incorrect length. Thus giving me the "lock-up" when I assemble the xmsn..any thoughts???

Thanks..George
<<

frenchtruck

Post Thu Nov 28, 2002 9:43 pm

Just cleaned up my trans, new gaskets and seal. Went well and it looks like it will last for a while, but it got me to thinking about building a spare. I keep hearing NOS versus repop parts concerning specs. Did you use all OEM parts or a mix of OEM and repop?? Seems repop can be off on the specs. French
<<

Jim S

Post Fri Nov 29, 2002 5:25 am

did you size bushings after install? they can change size once in the case.
<<

George Greer

Post Fri Nov 29, 2002 6:28 am

Frenchtruck..I used a mix of NOS and new parts...other than getting the mainshaft end play to come in correctly all other parts fit just fine..The clutch gear is the only one that I have not changed yet..

Jim..I did not replace the bearing in the clutch gear, looked to be in good shape.

I know that after bearings are installed you will have to ream them for the correct clearances...but pressing in a bearing would not make it longer. and I think that is my problem..it is a plain bushing installed in the gear..I thought it was supposed to have oil grooves in it..

Any input?? George
<<

Fatdog Vintage Salvage

Post Fri Nov 29, 2002 2:01 pm

The clutch gear bushing should be 1.810" in length and should have oil grooves in it. Tedd's do not. The mainshaft spacer sounds like it is your problem (new #35380-41) this is made in increments of .005 to bring you into spec.. It is a trial and error fit that must be done by assembly and re-assembly Make sure to use all the gaskets on the side cover as they will effect measurments. If it turns out to be your clutch gear bushing (which I do not think is the problem) I manufacture proper ones. FatDog
<<

George Greer

Post Tue Dec 03, 2002 4:12 am

It is 4AM here in Germany, can't sleep so what the heck..check here!!

Conan..I have assembled the xmsn once again! Same lockup and there's no main shaft spacer washer's installed..I am waiting on a new clutch gear and bushing from Kurt..I really think that's the problem...but since I can't sleep...I'll go to the basement and check on the fit of the bearing race..(I did not replace it) just to make sure it is pressed in.

Thanks for the tip's....George
<<

dotman

Post Tue Dec 10, 2002 12:15 am

The endplay can be checked by standing the trans on end and using a feeler gauge set between the end of the bushing and the shaft to determine the spacer that gives the best spacing, end play on the maindrive gear can be done by using a spacer in place of the drive gear and measureing between the the case and the spacer like checking sprocket sahft on the motor.

[This message has been edited by dotman (edited 10 December 2002).]
<<

George Greer

Post Thu Dec 12, 2002 6:51 pm

Thanks to all the reply's here and the e-mail's too..

I got the other parts that I was waiting on.

There was a combination of things that was giving me the problem.

Conan, you were right on about the outer race being pressed into the case all the way..I done a before I removed it and a after installed the new one...you were right, the old one was NOT in the case all the way..

Some of the washer's were of too thick.
The outer race that was pressed into the side cover..it's flange was machined Too thick.. .007" too much.

Measured..remeasured..and done it again..

Now..the mainshaft end play is (insert drum roll).. .004" right in the middle of where it should be..

A great big THANKS for the inputs..And IF any of you ever come to Germany..I gotta cold beer waiting on you.

Thanks...George

PS now comes the rest of the assembly..gears-shifters ect....wish me luck

Return to 45 Flatties