Board index Flathead Power-Technical Questions, Answers, and Suggestions 45 Flatties star hubs

star hubs

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

Post Wed Nov 13, 2002 3:41 am

Thanks for the welcome. My first question is, is it recomended to rebuild star hubs as stock, or is it a better fix to upgrade to timken brgs., and is it a simple project to upgrade to timken brgs. These hubs are for a 42 W.L.C. that I plan on putting on lots of trouble free miles.

Post Wed Nov 13, 2002 3:50 am

rebuild as stock, grease every 1,000 miles, they will last a long,long time.

Post Wed Nov 13, 2002 4:56 am

Also watch when you grease them. Over greasing can push grease into the brake drum area. Turning what little braking power you have into Zilch.

Post Thu Nov 14, 2002 11:36 pm

I fully agree on the above. I did the conversion of a star-hub, from original to SKF brg. And as I now can see I actually weakened the hub. And the springer brake is'nt that bad. I had them fitted with some soft brake lining, and It did a lot to mine. You can't compare them to discs, but when you get used to them, they are just fine. Also important I think, is to use a proper brake cable, not the tiny thing they sell as repro from V-twin or others. I actually use to modify a clutch cable or a cable for hydra drums.

Return to 45 Flatties