FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Harley culture

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

Hildy

Post Sat Sep 07, 2002 1:55 pm

Harley culture

I've been pontificating on something that happened to me last Wed. I took my WLA out for it's first ride, I didn't get more than a mile from the house when the tranny locked up. I was standing on the side of the highway, scratching my head and trying to decide what to do next. Pretty soon a big fat guy on a brand new shiny Evo came riding by, smiled and waved as he cruised by me.
When I first started riding my old pan back in 72 that simply wouldn't have happened. If a Harley rider saw a fellow biker broke down he stopped. It didn't matter if one was a haired over, greasy biker in a cut off jean jacket and the other was riding an elvised out dresser and leather, they shared a common bond and they stopped to help...or at least try. There wasn't anything the guy could have done, he just should have tried.
That is the attitude that is still evident on this board. I guess the old iron we mess with has infused us with that old spirit.
By the way, if I see one of those credit card bikers broke down on the side of the road...I'm gonna stop and offer some sort of help.

------------------
Hildy

[This message has been edited by Hildy (edited 07 September 2002).]
<<

Boogiemanz1

Post Sat Sep 07, 2002 4:22 pm

You would probably scare the wimpy $%^#@ excuse for a rider...usually they only stop to change batteries in their cell phones. I don't stop if there are three or more, cause I figure the other two can get their buddy home. The reason is that too many lazy individuals won't do the maintenance on their bikes, and depend on the kindness of others to get down the road. I won't let people ride to events with me, because they want to ride with me because they think I'll fix their bike for free if it breaks down. Most of the ones that ask are riding something they know won't make it.

There is no excuse to leave someone on the side of the road by themselves, a block from home or a thousand miles from home.
<<

john k. endrizzi

Post Sat Sep 07, 2002 8:54 pm

Three years ago I rode down to the AMCA meet at Davenport with several of my buddies. I was in the last position. We were on HWY 61 about 25 miles north of Davenport.{61 is 4 lanes there}. The group passed several cars. I was just pulling past the last car when my primary belt snapped. I pulled off to figure out why I had lost power. I had just pulled off the outer primary cover when I heard a vehicle behind me . The driver got out and came up to see if he could be of assistence. By this time I had extricated the broken belt. I said no, unless you happen to be carrying an 1 1/4 14mm Super Max belt!. He said no but he would be happy to piggy back me to the meet! He had come from Winnepeg, and was on his way to the meet to look for parts for his WLA basket case. He was driving his girlfriends brand new S10 pickup. The bed liner hadn't seen so much as a empty beer can yet. About this time my buddies showed up. One rode down to the next farm and got some rope from the friendly farmer there. We then tied my ailing Knuckle in the back of the truck and off we went. It was as hot maybe hotter than it was this year. The air conditioning in that truck felt great but surely not as good as the seemingly endless supply of beer that his girlfriend kept pulling out of a cooler and passing out to me. When we got to the meet the fellow went out of his way to drop me and my bike at the West gate{ at that time our bunch camped right there under the trees by the gate.} I tried to hand the guy a 50$ bill . He wouldn't take it or anything smaller! He said he was just happy to help. What great folks!

------------------
Smoke 'em till the wheels fall off!
<<

Cotten

Post Sun Sep 08, 2002 1:36 am

The "new" culture works both ways.

I stopped to help a latemodel (80's?) along the side of the road during the Peoria (Illinois) TT bash last month. He had Florida plates, and I knew he was out on a limb.

He only looked irritated as I circled back to give him some light, as it was way after sunset.

He tried to ignore my wife and I as he angrily kept pulling fuses from the bottom of his saddle bag, looking through them at my headlamp, and then cussing as he tossed them one by one. (Everybody saves burnt fuses, right?)

I told him that I had jumper wire, test lead, and tools in the sidehack, but he was adamant that "it was only a fuse". He insisted that he would just push the bike to the next gas station to get more fuses.

He sure had a nice paintjob though. We were on a rat, so no doubt we didn't have a clue.
<<

HOOTER

Post Sun Sep 08, 2002 4:07 am

Rats Rule
<<

JIm

Post Sun Sep 08, 2002 4:13 am

My worst one happened in the Great State of NH. Burnt up my wiring on Rt. 101. We were on the side of the road in front of a Dairy Queen actually about 3 feet from the road. I had the dash cover off all the tools spread out all over the place wire hanging everywhere. All the so called bikers would ride by and wave or toot their horn. I didn't have enough wire to fix it but luckly there was an auto parts store within walking distance so I could get what I needed. The only 2 people to stop and ask if I was Ok or needed anything was a tow truck driver and a NH State Trooper. Both offered to make phone calls if I neede it done. The ignition switch was bad but didn't find it till later when we were almost home back in MA when the wiring burnt up again. I don't think I was on the side of the road more than 10 minutes when It got loaded on the back of a truck and brought home. I tried to give the guy someting for the lift but he wouldn't take it. Maybe it is just an attitude in the area I live in South of Boston. If you are pulled over just to check something people stop. People on bikes, cars or even if they are walking by. It's happend to me a number of times here. Even after that I still stop to see if some needs help unless there are 3 or more people with them.

One guy that was looking at his bike scratching his head said his bike just quit. When asked if he had checked anything like the battery connections or anything else his reply was and I quote "This thing has a battery in it?" It sure was a nice shinny paint new chromey motorcycle. He then went on to say "screw this" and pulled out his cell phone and started making calls. I hope who ever he called accepted Master Card or Visa.

Yes I have a Cell Phone, it's in my tool bag.

Jim

[This message has been edited by JIm (edited 08 September 2002).]
<<

FOOT

Post Sun Sep 08, 2002 4:27 am

DIE, YUPPIE SCUM!
<<

Boogiemanz1

Post Sun Sep 08, 2002 6:27 am

I had one of them cell phones one time, felt too much like a leash, anyone could call anytime...I pitched it.
<<

HOOTER

Post Sun Sep 08, 2002 6:40 am

I was so happy when my answering machine died.
<<

Boogiemanz1

Post Sun Sep 08, 2002 6:51 am

I think the pig ate mine..jb
<<

greybeard52

Post Mon Sep 09, 2002 1:59 am

My most recent was I was travelin' down the interstate to Virginia to go fishing in the Chesapeake bay with some buddies. The KH died with only a sputter just north of philadelphia. In the time it took me to check my spark and take the gas line off to check for gas, 12 bikers passed me. 2 stopped, a crotch-rocket jockey and a 1%er. Fuel filter plugged. Swopped names, shook hands and went our seperate ways. Thanks for stoppin' Bill and Ace.
Yeah, I have a cell phone also. I just don't turn it on. G.
<<

JIm

Post Mon Sep 09, 2002 2:26 am

Boog,

You didn't have to pitch the cell phone. Like G says, don't turn it on. I leave mine off and it is seriously in my tool bag. I will give the number to anyone I know that asks for it. Then I tell them not to waste their time calling it because it aint on and if it rings when I do occasionaly turn it on I aint answerenig it. It's good to have it when you need it. To me it is just another tool to save me some time like when I am heading to someone house and I want to see if they are there. Or when that rare time comes that I can't roadside fix what broke.

Jim

[This message has been edited by JIm (edited 09 September 2002).]
<<

Boogiemanz1

Post Mon Sep 09, 2002 3:39 am

THis was when they first came out, I took it on a trip to sturgis and Yellowstone...everytime I could have used it it didn't work, it wouldn't work inside my house/barn because it is metal and wouldn't work in my shop for the same reason.. I guess they still won't because everyone that gets a call out here runs to the door saying "can you hear me now?" I'd rather just carry a cresent wrench...and the two quarters sewn in my leather...jb
<<

JIm

Post Wed Sep 18, 2002 11:54 am

Linz1

There are a lot of people out there that think Women don't know much about anything mechanical. If they can't tell in a couple of minutes that the person they are talking to knows what they are talking about it is their loss. A lot of them think that women should do nothing but cleaning and cooking. My wife thinks nothing about getting down and dirty picking up the wrenches and helping. She has fun with people that think she does not know what they are talking about. She did a lot of the work on the K model she had. She used to do some of the machine work when we were in business. So if they want to talk to you that way and treat you as if you are stupid the hell with them.

Jim

------------------
Click to go to the Flat Boy Web Site.
Flat Boy
Why buy it when you can make it
<<

METALMAN

Post Wed Sep 18, 2002 1:07 pm

I like your post Linz + yes you are right.Todays so called bikers wouldnt know how to start one of our old thumpers ,let alone handle a hand shift + foot clutch + be able to perform the constant little adjustments + tender care that these old machines we love require.I am now 50 yrs of age been ridin since I was 15.My first bike was a old ratty Flathead 45 I bought for 35.oo at age 15 + I learned plenty about it includin how bad it hurts when you take a flop + hit the pavement expecially when I was showin off sidesteppin the clutch,throwin rocks + gravel everywhere wheelin thru town (also unlicenced + not reg as I didnt have jr lic yet) but the old time fat cop in town who spoke with a thick Irish brouge figured I learned a lesson from it + said Laddie your buddies + town people said that the sparks flew from one end of town to the other as you slid on your side + got hurt enough in the deal to boot.So me + that old 45 learned from each other but my interst sort of leaned toward another form of thrills danger + excitement going round d round at a local stock car track in cut down brightly painted loud jalopy cars slammin + banged on a Sat nite + I got pretty good at it winnin my first race at 15 yrs of age + also goin on my roof that first season + hittin the wall a few times .Workin a shift as a young Wrecker operator for a long established tow service got me pretty well known + also a steady stream of 50s + 60s era wrecks + junk cars + parts for my race cars + buildin my own first Wrecker to go off on my own + puttin in the vast amount of time required tied to a telephone + 2 way radio left little time for Motorcycles.After a few years of being on call 24/7 + just now workin for myself runnin 60s era 1 million mile wore out Chevy + Dodge Wreckers with old Weld Built brand Wrecker backs I was able to attract some part time help ( some helped me more by stayin away ) I started to wander in something other then a Wrecker + bought a old 45 Chopper with very nicely done extended Springer + frame ,high bars + risors 21 in front wheel + of course the feature that makes our era of ride unique the hand shift + foot clutch.So ridin + wrenchin on this old Chopper became part of my life as my stock car racing was windin down as the local track closed + I now had to tow my current car a 1837 Ford open wheel coach about 2hrs away to a bigger track in central NJ + I ran less + less + rode my chopper more + more. I still have that race car + restored it nicely + it sits in its own little garage on my property along side my 1948WL my two prize possisions.I also met some very interstin bike people + became good friends with someone I knew from my youth who also rode a Flathead ( the mighty 80 ) + he also had a small part time bike shop + was somewhat of a wrench + machinest type of guy + knew this style of bike real well.He called himself Transtrickery + 25 yrs later is still known by that name + we have been friends + buddies + still are.Over the years when I lived down that way he built a transmission that is still in that old chopper that the only thing I ever owned that shifted that nice was a brand new Ford Wrecker I bought back in the late 70s .he also helped me with motor work + ignitions + tunin the Old brass Linkerts.so I rode this chopper for quite a while + collected quite a bit of 45 parts including a complete I would say almost original with faded red + black paint + old Buco saddle bags with lots of piping,studs + reflectors ,runnin but tired 1948 WL that I have had apart + together many times + I call that old bike my lifes companion that I ride regular here in the beautiful Adirondacks I choose to move to in 1986. In the late 70s I also bought a brand new E glide + I took a few cross country journeys by myself + also rode 2 up with a women once in 1985 + rode south first to Florida then across the midwest to Sturgis + stayed for 2 weeks for Bike week the week before it opened + the town was fillin up in a cottage camp + during Bike week in a tent at Glenco + had a good old time then the ride cross country back to NY.After those couple months on the road I decided it was time for a change in my life + was able to sell off some of my tow equipment + my small garage + moved to the beautiful mountains where I still run a small Wrecker service + repair shop but am able to get away a bit + ride my WL + E glide. This summer I went away on my E glide alone first for 3 days then 4th of July I took the whole week for myself + rode 420 miles to my home town for the big 4th celebration with long time friends + buddies ,Had top end trouble also on that E glide again once I was down there that i posted about last month on this site but with a little help + parts + a place to work I managed to repair it + it made the 420 mi trip back by myself to the mountains + it now has aroundd a 1000k miles on it since the repair.I also still have that old chopper put away + in time I am going to clean it up + ride it a bit.It has the nicest tarnished horseshoe wraparound + oil tank + small combination battery box clamped to the frame post I have ever saw.It came with the rolling chassis + must have been a 60s era assessory This is quite a long post but I have some time on my hands as I am 6 days out of the hospital after a 18 day stay + late nite Vol rescue squad ride for some emergency surgury + repair after a few months of not feelin so well.This summer I spent most of runnin my wrecker + takin a lot of late nite rides thru the mountains on my old WL.I sure hope to heal up + take a few more rides afore I have to put the bikes up for winter which comes up quick here in the Mts.Flatheads forever Peace
<<

METALMAN

Post Wed Sep 18, 2002 1:45 pm

Good day Jim + other Flathead men + ladies.While writing my long post I see you posted about your wife + I have known some women over the years that also could handle a bike ,knew their way around a garage + could wrench + also run a wrecker so I know where you are comin from.I also want to speak a little bit about my beautiful young wife.She is a bit younger then me,I met her here in the Mts around 14 yrs ago .We kept company for a yr + a half + took many a ride on my WL + E glide sharin the fringed buddy seat + 12 + a half yrs ago I married her proper in a little Methodist church in our little mountain town that we still attend on occaision.We honeymooned in the Poconos + Virginia beach on my 79 Electra Glide + still ride together after 12 + a half years of heaven + some hell.My wife isnt much for the garage hates the smell of oils solvents + greases + can detect the smell of car parts as she calls it + is always after me to clean up + change clothes.But what she lacks in the garage she makes up for in the home + yard + has made our mountain home a very comfortable place tastefully decorated with antiques + collectables including some of my old automotive advertizing,bottles+ colorful automotive can collections + vintage 60s era stock car racing memobilia that took up a big part of my life back then. You could say I am stuck in the 60s.She also tends to the wild flower + herb gardens + keeps the lawns + grounds cut with riding tractors,push mowers + weed wackers along with our 13 yr old son.She also can operate my Wrecker or Roll back + many times she has responded with one of them + has helped me recover a wreck on the hiway or back country mountain road over the years together.She works for the county + runs a outreach type program helpin the old, poor + needy + also administraights runnin a after school program called Pals program for kids with workin parents that need somewhere to go + has made a big difference in the many lives she has touched with her care + compassion.I am a very lucky man + have much to be thankful for.During this latest repair on my 50 yr old body she never left my side for the first 6 days till the doctors hit on the problem + took me to surgury.when I awoke in recovery there she was to help tend to me + now on day # 6 at home I am on the mend Flatheads Forever Peace
<<

panic

Post Wed Sep 18, 2002 6:29 pm

Why don't they stop?
1. It's not about THEM.
2. They bought into the "image", but deep down they can tell a biker from a poser - and we make them uncomfortable.
3. They know they couldn't help - they don't know how many cylinders theirs has...

I don't even speak to them. I DO carry Whitworth tools out on the road for broken-down orphans...

------------------
Need 18mm spark plugs for your Knucklehead or Flathead? Click here.
<<

greybeard52

Post Wed Sep 18, 2002 8:12 pm

Went to a Harley dealer open-house last weekend (free food & Beer). After looking at the other bikes for a while, sat in the shade with a couple of obvious old-timers (grey hair, 1000 yrd. stare, permament wrinkles around the eyes from laughin' at themselves, greasy broken fingernails, ect.) and discussed this subject. The general consensus was that it usually takes about 7-10 yrs of riding before they really begin to get it: that in the words of the Bishop of The Church of The Divine Amplitude "We're all in this together! So help your Brother Biker!" (The Congregation answered with shouts of "Haleuja!", and "Turn it up!" and "LOUDER!") Then we discussed road conditions, good travelin' routes and bars. Also the proliferation of Women bikers. It was universally agreed that we liked the trend.
Scary thing: my 54 KH was, by more that twenty years, the oldest bike there. NO other flattys, NO iron head XL's, NO pans, and ONE alt-Shovel. At least it was a rigid. G
P.S. I have known some REALLy good Women mechanics, and some really moronic male ones.
Next

Return to 45 Flatties