Board index Flathead Power- General Announcements and Various Subjects Services Sought springer shock rebuild?

springer shock rebuild?

Looking for that special work on your bike or engine and can't remember who does it? Inquire here, maybe someone can help you. Same rules apply as Services Offered.

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

Post Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:17 am

Anyone know who rebuilds springer shocks (ride control) ?

Post Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:59 pm

dont know of anybody that rebuilds a hyd shock. had the same problem back in the late 70's. ended up going to a semi truck boneyard and buying a used shock from a drivers side air cushion seat. after a little searching, found one exact same size. bought it for a few dollars

Post Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:56 pm

It might be helpful if you told us what vintage Springer you have.

Post Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:00 pm

Didn't know the year springer made any differance but if it helps, it's a flat/knuck inline. The shock is the standard Monroe Shock (not the friction style) that bolts on. Bought one on ebay and there's little to no hydraulic action left. Thought somebody here would have a lead on anyone who rebuilds these things. Thanks.

Post Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:36 pm

It makes a big difference if it is for an old Springer or a modern one. The old type shocks are available in reproduction. V-Twin has them.

Post Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:42 pm

Thanks Chris. Guess I assumed that since it was a springer shock that needed to be rebuilt others would assume it was one old enough to need rebuilding. Yea, I'm aware that V Tiwin has repops and they're $200 a shot. Thought if anyone knew somebody who could rebuild in the $50 -$100 range it would be worth it.

Post Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:58 pm
Pa Site Admin

I was in on a discussion that concerned rebuilding those monroe's here on the forum a few years back. The basic conclusion was the shocks were shot once they leaked out the fluid. I suggested a drilled and tapped hole with a one way valve, installed in an inconspicuious space, for the purpose of adding fluid, but a few folk thought the fluid would escape again anyway, since it was worn out in the first place. Pa

Return to Services Sought