FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Some of US Would Like The Price Quote Ban Rescinded

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

Plumber

Post Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:18 am

Some of US Would Like The Price Quote Ban Rescinded

Harley-Davidson 1930-1941 • Revolutionary Motorcycles & Those That Rode Them • Herbert Wagner , pg. 161
http://www.amazon.com/Harley-Davidson-1 ... 906&sr=1-1
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That was a club back then. A computer screen is the club today (minus the trees and fresh air). Think it over. Some would rather not have pricing handcuffs.
And we'd like Harley-Davidson® to start making short-billed riding caps again. They're different than the ones the MMC wears.
Last edited by Plumber on Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

john HD

Post Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:46 am

Re: We Would Like The Price Quote Ban Rescinded

not me,

i moderate at a rather large forum, not related to motorcycles with a relatively mature membership.

99% of the problems we have is from vendors and prices posted on the site. not to mention "call me tactics" via posts or PM's.

i like it the way it is here, i wish the site i moderate was a well behaved as this one.

don't change a thing.

john
<<

Chris Haynes

Post Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:53 pm

Plumber sed,
We Would Like The Price Quote Ban Rescinded

Whatchu mean "WE" whiteman?
<<

Plumber

Post Sun Sep 23, 2007 2:15 pm

i moderate at a rather large forum, not related to motorcycles with a relatively mature membership.

99% of the problems we have is from vendors and prices posted on the site. not to mention "call me tactics" via posts or PM's.

i like it the way it is here, i wish the site i moderate was a well behaved as this one.

Free-price-quoting sounds like trouble, if you're talking about Airstream trailers - might be different with antique and repop early Harley, if you're comparing an apple to an apple, and not an orange. Like I mentioned, we speak candidly about pricing on HGN and price quoting is something we don't dwell over. If someone knows of a sale on a part, or where to get a part, they say it. I think at this point in the discussion, we need to hear from the man himself, so without further ado, I'd like you to welcome Panhead from our affiliate http://hydra-glide.net/ Let he who knows what Panhead society looks like, cross-cut with a rip-saw, give us his opinion on the volume of spammers and ranklers on his site, related to free price quoting.
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Sun Sep 23, 2007 3:31 pm

The forum policy on pricing was set for a reason. John did a great job of pointing out some of the reasoning for such policy. Pricing is not restricted in all aspects though. All members have the right to email direct or PM a price if they so please, just don't post the pricing for all to see. That sounds pretty fair to me. If I see a part someone is selling, I can email or PM them for a price. This may cause me to have to utilize, me one finger keyboard tool, to a minor exhaustive extent, but I can still learn what the price for the part will be. The site is not intented to be a vendors free advertising paradise. It is a disscussion board mainly, tech talk, links to parts, and yes......even pricing, off public viewing, that is. There are many topics where certain prices wre left un edited. This is because those prices were not set in stone. Examples would be particular ebay item auction bids, etc.. If S&S sees fit to change this policy, they will. My advice ??? Got a fairer price, for the very same part ??? Say so !! Request PM's or direct emails for quotes though. Just leave the pricing out when posting. Pa
<<

Curt!

Post Sun Sep 23, 2007 3:46 pm

I'm sure I probably haven't thought out all the angles on this yet, but I'd be inclined to agree with Plumber on this one. I would prefer a ban on selling new aftermarket parts on the forum, but we're usually talking about relic parts, here. It would be helpful to know what a guy has in mind for what he has, than to waste everybody's time making inquiries. I would be inclined to buy parts I really wasn't looking for if I felt the price was right.
I'm not saying you can't steer someone to an aftermarket vendor, but I'm against turning it into an adfest.
I think everyone does a great job on this forum of not abusing the privelege of posting Wanted and Selling ads.
my.02
Curt!
<<

john HD

Post Sun Sep 23, 2007 4:04 pm

Free-price-quoting sounds like trouble, if you're talking about Airstream trailers - might be different with antique and repop early Harley, if you're comparing an apple to an apple, and not an orange.

no plumber, it is apples to apples, you might find this hard to believe but there is a large business suppling aftermarket, NOS and REPRODUCTION parts for vintage airstream trailers. even basic items such as windows for those trailers from the mid 70's and earlier are no longer available from the factory.

one of our more prominate members and also one of our oldest members had the foresight to purchase all of the remaining inventory from the airstream factory in california when it closed. he also was smart enough to become the sole US supplier for replacement henschen dura torque axles for these trailers. you cannot buy them from either the axle manufacture or the remaining airstream factory in ohio. you have to go through this vendor or buy something else that needs major modification to make it fit.

so, when this vendor posts his prices for the very rare nos inventory he has or quotes a price for an axle only he can sell the membership squeels like stuck pigs! and then you get the inevitable posts from said squeeling members about what a jerk he is for his "high" prices.

believe me, keeping prices directly posted off this board or any other one for that matter is a good idea. i have seen first hand what happens if you don't... posting rights get suspended and others get banned, law suits get threatened. and on and on...

john
<<

Plumber

Post Sun Sep 23, 2007 4:26 pm

no plumber, it is apples to apples, you might find this hard to believe but there is a large business suppling aftermarket, NOS and REPRODUCTION parts for vintage airstream trailers. even basic items such as windows for those trailers from the mid 70's and earlier are no longer available from the factory.

I disagree, it is not an apples to apples comparison. You mention aftermarket and people. Okay so far. But, lumping Airstream people in with Old Harley people changes the type of people comparison (on a whole, although you like old Harleys, 50% of your Airstream people maybe wouldn't and 100& of our people would). So, at that juncture it's not apples to apples any more, imo.
And, if you believe that much of it...then add a bigger lug on our side of the comparison, and weigh the fact that we probably get burned on more repop parts and assemblies than they do. We're talking motors, frames, wheels, shafts and in-line bore and hone, not trailers (albeit, good trailers). Please don't tell me V-Twin makes Airstream stuff too.
<<

john HD

Post Sun Sep 23, 2007 4:46 pm

...then add the bigger lug on our side of the comparison and weigh the fact that we probably get burned on more repop than they do. We're talking motors, frames, wheels, shafts and inline bore and hone, not trailers (albiet, good trailers).

uh plumber yeah it is, i don't know if you have ever priced one of those aluminum campers but they start in the mid 70K range for a 29 footer and go well into the high 90's for an excella model. and the prices for parts reflect that.

you could stuff one of those campers full of harleys and not go over the purchase price of one of the nicer ones.

the price of items is not the issue, it is peoples responses to them. good or bad. mostly bad.

here is a little know fact, moderators talk about these things. they talk alot. on the site i moderate we have behind the scenes discussions about problem members that number in the hundreds of posts. sometimes to such excess that the discussion about a certain problem poster or thread will exceed the original price posts by a factor of ten.

thats a lot of time for unpaid volunteers sorting things out when they should be correcting spelling and deleting spam from nigeria to make your forums visit a nice one!

john
<<

Plumber

Post Sun Sep 23, 2007 4:56 pm

thats a lot of time for unpaid volunteers sorting things out when they should be correcting spelling and deleting spam from nigeria to make your forums visit a nice one!

True.
<<

Chris Haynes

Post Sun Sep 23, 2007 6:24 pm

I would like the Plumber ban installed. :lol:
<<

woody

Post Sun Sep 23, 2007 6:43 pm

Mr. Plumber,

While I have no opinion pro or con with regards to this issue, I take great exception to your use of the word "we" in your topic. I am more than capable of speaking up if I have an opinion and I certainly do not need you to speak for me.
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:09 am

Re: Some of US Would Like The Price Quote Ban Rescinded

There is a Plumber ban installed. It is called "don't open it". :lol: :wink: Pa
<<

Limey_Dave

Post Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:36 pm

Pa.
If that's as in Pandora's Box it's to late. :P
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:53 pm

:lol:
<<

Dusty-Dave

Post Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:13 pm

Bad as I hate to agree with Plumber about anything we did fine before the ban on prices. I don't remenber a single argument all the way back to the list days.
Dusty
<<

nationalzjug

Post Sun Sep 30, 2007 6:33 pm

peace people....there are ways to obtain pricing info without posting on this site, just exchange private email addresses via PM's...no need to be snippy with one another...sometimes adults go into a competitive childishness...we have to stop compeating and help one another with our motorcycles... :wink: remember: motorcycles is us
<<

krazy loop

Post Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:38 pm

If you kept it limited to buy and sell areas only it shouldn't be a problem.
New Knuckleheads? Thank, you, Jesus!!
<<

Cotten

Post Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:12 pm

Our new Host should have absolutely nothing to fear from forum price listings, as the Host's products stand on firmer ground than even H-D itself.

This forum has sustained its activity from the exchange of knowledge, not hardware.

...Cotten
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:41 pm

From another point of view.....hypothetically speaking of course......Local HD dealership runs price ads on their website. Another dealership {other models and makes] posts their pricing on the same pages ? Ain't gonna happen ! Walmart's website has Sears products and prices listed also ? Again...ain't gonna happen ! Gas staion runs website ad. Gas station across the street posts it's prices on that gas stations page as well. Nope ! Ain't gonna happen ! Boeing runs ads on it's website. Lockheed places it's ad next to Boeing's. Nope ! McDonalds places ads on it's website. Burger King places ad next to it. No Again. Never gonna happen ! Why should they ????? They are paying for the wesites !! Not the looking for free advertising companies or vendors ! Pricing is obtainable on FHP. The means to that pricing has been described. I wonder if any of the hypothetical company situations, I presented, would even go that far ? None is my guess. Pa
Next

Return to Dear Blabby