FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Sumping problem

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

irishbaker

Post Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:33 pm

Sumping problem

Hi folks ,
I hadn't started my 45 in a good spell as I was driving a fatboy for a while(long story) :o so when I went to crank up the 45 it had sumped a lot of the oil and puked some oil when she fired up , but fire up she did :)

After reading a few previous threads , I was thinking of putting one of those anti sumping valves into the supply line.
Just wondering what have other folks done, put it in the middle of the line or close to the pump? Do I need to Change the feed line to rubber and use the connectors off the metal one.

Anyone got any advice or photos?

Regards
Steve
<<

Limey_Dave

Post Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:12 pm

Re: Sumping problem

Before fitting any sort of valve,I'd find out what pressure it released at.The anti drain valve in the pump only requires 1.5 psi to open and let oil flow.
If I was going to fit something,I'd look at using a lever operated valve,with a micro switch and relay in the ignition circuit.
A simpler idea would be to use a lever operated valve,and get one of those bright yellow coiled cables,that people loop onto the twistgrip,when they fit a disc lock.

http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalo ... 898032174#
<<

irishbaker

Post Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:40 pm

Re: Sumping problem

Thanks limey dave, I might go with the simpler lever operated valve unit as I read where someones anti sumping valves stopped working on a Norton twin and caused a catastrophic failure.

I could get one of those yellow cables to remind me or hang the ignition keys on the valve as Dr Dick suggested in a previous thread.

I presume the easiest method is to get an old oil line and cut 2" or so off each end and attach a rubber pipe with valve in between or is there rubber oil lines complete with fittings available anywhere?

Return to 45 Flatties