FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Wiring Harness Routing

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:11 pm

Wiring Harness Routing

Need info on how to route the wiring harness from dash base with frame on wla. Pics would be great. Thanks, Pa
<<

Brendan

Post Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:02 pm

Re: Wiring Harness Routing

Wondering if you found an all inclusive harness installation / routing diagram?
If not, I plan on pulling all the bits and pieces together into one document.
I sure would like to start with something other than the segmented sections from all the books.

I am referring to physical routing not schematic diagram.

Thank you in advance.

Brendan
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:55 pm

Not yet but still looking.
<<

RUBONE

Post Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:34 pm

Pa,
Most of it is pictured in Bruce Palmer's resto book.
Robbie
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:20 am

This is true Robbie. Bruce covers much of the visual routing. There are a few wires which are difficult to discern though. 42WLA Yahoo Groups show many colored wire routing views during one of the members restorations but one must be a member to view them. It is also difficult to navigate the group software to locate them. This is because much of the data posted is linked ownly by member name. To find much of the data on the group site, one must look over all of the folders until they come across what they are looking for. Dave has restructured the group into easily navigatable folders but most of the membership have not moved their data files and picture files into those folders.
<<

Bruce Palmer III

Post Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:05 pm

Will these help? If you need a different view let me know.

wiring-close-up-1.jpg

wiring-close-up-3.jpg

wiring-close-up-4.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:37 pm

Thank you Bruce !! Those are excellent !! Pa
<<

Brendan

Post Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:45 pm

Thank you Bruce.
This is happens to be where I was having trouble.
Notice the cable going OVER the base plate to the switch. I need to ensure the cover panel goes on when I route mine.
May need some fusion tape for the sharp curve.

Brendan
<<

Bruce Palmer III

Post Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:10 pm

Hi Brendon,

The tail lamp harness will easily clear the cover.

Here are two photos from a different 42WLA. It is on the lift right now having its rebuilt engine installed. The taillamp harness is in basically the same location as in the WLA above's photos.

When I run a harness (this also applies to control cables), I will lay it out on the frame loosely and mount one tank and check the clearance. I will then take that tank off and mount the other side and reverify that all the harnesses and controls clear properly.

Sometimes, when I am dealing with a setup I am not familiar with, setting only one tank on will reveal the routing locations that H-D intends to be used.

I also do this to verify that the tank itself is fitting properly on the frame (touching only at the mounts and not rocking between mounts). If necessary, I will add a 0214 washer between the tank and frame to give it the right clearance. I might also do this if the tank is pinching the harness and the harness is in its right spot.

wiring-close-up-early-42wla.jpg

wiring-closeup-early-42WLA-.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

Brendan

Post Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:15 pm

Thanks Bruce

I had it routed wrong. I also had more of a birds nest in the dash than your picture.
I'm re-doing it.

I will definitely check that the tank doesn't squeeze my cables. I would have assumed the cable cleared the tank and I would have wrenched it tight creating a short. I see in the picture there is a slight compression on one of the cables.

Thanks again and thanks for pulling the Haley Davidson history into the future with your books.

Brendan

Return to 45 Flatties