FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Old Rims

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

62wild1

Post Tue Apr 19, 2005 3:49 pm

Old Rims

Just purchased a 62flh that has rusty rims and was told to save the old and replace with ?.(yep it's me Cotten) Any ideas? Also plan on country riding with some freeway riding and not sure how the factory gearset will be as I have never ridden 1. Have heard alot about close ratio gear sets and also changing all the sprockets. Is there a magic solution for a stock motor hauling my 220 and hopefully something petite on the back? so many questions hey!
<<

Cotten

Post Wed Apr 20, 2005 2:31 am

Just for clarity,... I wrote:

"I suggest that you do not cut up your wheels, but rather look for another pair of hubs, since you seem intent upon new rims and spokes. Your intact wheels have great worth, ugly or not! (It's also great to have a spare in the garage when a flat occurs.)"

Now I know what the insipid emoticon with sunglasses is for.
<<

sleeper

Post Wed Apr 20, 2005 5:50 am

62-
I would 'suggest' riding it first, "Stock" HD put quite a bit of research into these machines before they were built. Then you will have a better idea of the machine's ability. I think you will be surprised..
Duo-Glide is a nice machine !!!

"Close ratio" IMO is better used for racers.

If those 'rusty & crusty rims' are in your way, I'll find a place for them.
The only new rims will be aftermarket..

------------------
Billy
<<

62wild1

Post Wed Apr 20, 2005 6:48 am

Point taken. Thanks for the info. rims are pitted bad and wanted something cleaner. it was sitting in a wet basement for awhile.

Return to 45 Flatties