FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Speed-o drive

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

George Greer

Post Fri Dec 27, 2002 6:49 am

Speed-o drive

What's the trick to properly install the rear speed-o drive, to get the gears to mesh right?

When I put the drive on the backing plate it fits OK, but when I put the backing plate/brake assembly on the drum, it's crooked at the bottom.

With out the drive installed the backing plate and brakes fit fine. What could I be doing wrong??

And how do you replace the gear?

I buggered up the plastic one that's on the drive unit, I now have a brass one.

thanks.
<<

George Greer

Post Fri Dec 27, 2002 8:39 am

Hi Kurt,

OK..the rear drum assy I got from you, The speedo drive I got at W&W here in Wurzburg, the backing plate is a repo that I got in the USA..

The ill fit only pops up when trying to install the drive unit, it does not seem to want to mesh smoothly, and when I did rotate the wheel...that's when the drive gear on the drive unit got buggered up..the gear on the rear drum is still OK..but I want to take a Dremel and make sure that all of the paint is cleaned off the gear before I try it again.

And now I have to replace the plastic gear on the drive unit..any tips??

Thanks, George
<<

George Greer

Post Fri Jan 17, 2003 3:43 pm

Hey guys...

Kurt was right on the money..(as is all of you)...I got a NOS backing plate from Tom at NOS Parts Ohio,,and it all works and fits perfect!

The repo backing plate was off in more than one place..the tab was too far out from the backing plate AND..the hole where the speed-o drive goes into ... the angle was WAY OFF!!

How's it possible for a company that reproduces part's and advertise them as EXACT..and then come to find out that they aren't Exact...how in the hell do they stay in business???

Thanks (once again) for the help.

George
<<

panic

Post Fri Jan 17, 2003 4:41 pm

P.T. Barnum is not dead - he's been re-incarnated as Tedd. "There's a sucker born every minute".

As long as the number of complaints etc. does not exceed the volume of new business, they'll still sell the worst possible crap. After the problems I had with Tedd 20 years ago, I would have guessed someone would have shot him by now.
<<

greybeard52

Post Fri Jan 17, 2003 5:10 pm

Don't tempt me! G.

Return to 45 Flatties