FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

KHK vin number raising

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

SirLosealot

Post Wed Jun 26, 2002 8:45 pm

KHK vin number raising

Geez...problem after problem after problem,...........Such is old scoots :-)
DMV won't register my KHK because the engine/vin # is damaged. I've heard you can raise the #'s somehow. Can you tell me how, without further damaged to the #'s that are there?
Thanks
SirLose
<<

JIm

Post Thu Jun 27, 2002 12:26 am

What do you mean by raising the numbers? There are ways to raise them so that they dissapear with chemicals that wont ruin the aluminum available at you local Home Depot and other places. Please explain further.

Jim
<<

Cotten

Post Thu Jun 27, 2002 3:13 am

Your state authorities are the ones to perform the acid etch. There is no point in trying to do it yourself.

If your numbers have been removed, it is boogered,.. period.
If your authorities are willing to re-stamp it, then they would already have done it to match your paper.
Any other alternative is another felony in most every state.

I am licensed in Illinois, and can help you sort it out if you are a resident here.
<<

HOOTER

Post Thu Jun 27, 2002 4:19 am

In Pa , if you can't get a good tracing. You get a cop to look at it to confirm that the numbers are there, then he she'll sign your paper work, making it legit.

How unreadable are they?
<<

JIm

Post Fri Jun 28, 2002 2:28 am

No explain further so I no explain further. If it is more than just a minor imperfection you need to fix than follow the suggestions of Cotten and Hooter. Ask around in your state there must be something you can do.

Jim
<<

Steve

Post Fri Jun 28, 2002 3:42 am

I've heard tell of Muriatic acid raising the ghost, also cleans bricks quite well.
Steve † www.resurrectioncycle.com
<<

SirLosealot

Post Fri Jun 28, 2002 2:24 pm

OK...here is the problem.
Vin # boss is damaged (looks like a hammer did the damage) all the #'s are good except the last number. It could be a six, eight or zero. The title says it's an 8. If it's a six the bike is stolen. If it's an 8 or a 0 then then bike is OK. I really want to keep the scoot - 1956 KHK -. I want to try to confirm the numbers before I take it back to the DMV and do an acid etch - if it is a 6 then they will confiscate the bike and I'm stuck. I'm still in touch with the seller and my impression is that he is cool and upstanding - but still I do not want to mention this to him until I know what it is I am dealing with.
SirLose
<<

Crazy Eddie

Post Fri Jun 28, 2002 10:21 pm

You are so right!! The first HD I ever bought was a '59 XLCH---beautiful bike. Owner (?) only had bill-of-sale, so I called local PD to run numbers (after I bought it). They asked for my address--- me being 19 at the time , I gave it to them. Within a half-hour they arrived with a tow-truck and took my new bike away. Meanwhile , the person I dealt with vanished , never to be seen again! I heard the bike was returned to the rightful owner (after being stolen a year and a half!!! I like to imagine his astonishment when called by the PD!). I was genuinely happy for him, but I learned a major lesson about questionable numbers and parting with cool cash!
<<

Cotten

Post Sat Jun 29, 2002 3:16 am

Uh,... wait a second.

Shouldn't a "6" have a straight back to it?
If it is round at all, I would dismiss the possiblility of a "6"
<<

Dusty-Dave

Post Sat Jun 29, 2002 5:20 am

Last time I had this problem I tore the bike down and just took the cases in so as to limit my loses if it had been bad.
Dusty
<<

HOOTER

Post Sat Jun 29, 2002 6:26 am

Find the right 8 stamp and give it a whack? Then bead blast the hell outa it.

Seems to me that there's a hell of alot of fudged numbered bikes in/from Fla. Some that have passed the FPD inspection as legit that wouldn't pass me.

One friend there told me the cops weren't even interested in acid testing a disputed bike when he sold the original bike with the original title after the guy who sold it to him got a duplicate title, stole a bike, stamped the numbers on it. Nice state. They seem to be okay with milled number bosses, no number bosses, 3 digit serial numbers. As long as all the stamped numbers are readable was all that mattered to them.

I would take Dusty's advice. Tell them ya bought the cases with title. Get the 8 right. beadblast the cases, make everything uniform.

But most of all. Anyone looking at buying a bike with fudged numbers. They were fudged for a reason. Stay away from it, continue looking. It was probably someones pride and joy....taken from them.

HOOT

[This message has been edited by HOOTER (edited 29 June 2002).]
<<

martinbros

Post Sat Jun 29, 2002 12:14 pm

Cotten's correct on the straight backed 6. The 9's had a proper tail.

Hooter's suggestion is valid. If the papers say 8, then 8 it is. It does take the "right" stamp tho, and you might need some unsavory connections to get to one. Or an understanding old time dealer that still has a set.

How about the ride takes a little vacation and becomes a resident down Cotten's way, just till things get cleared up?

Good Luck. TMBros>>>
<<

SirLosealot

Post Sat Jun 29, 2002 1:05 pm

Cotten
On the straight backed numbers! None of the numbers on the boss are straight backed. My brother (hard core biker from yesteryear), who is visiting from California, said that harley may not have started using the straight backed numbers until after this bike was built.
I've already taken this bike to the DMV and the DMV guy was cool and let me take it away again ( I told him I was gonna send it back to the seller) so any further tampering with the numbers will be noticed. Besides that, I'm not into riding someones stolen scoot (not a good feeling). I'm just looking for ideas to confirm the numbers so I can decide what to do.
Thanks
SirLose
A point to note.... The triple tree #'s and the transmission #'s stamped on the bottom of each case do not show as being from a stolen bike. So a cross reference list between the numbers (if there is such a thing) may be sufficient to satisfy the DMV here. Florida checks triple tree and transmission numbers also.

[This message has been edited by SirLosealot (edited 29 June 2002).]
<<

Cotten

Post Sun Jun 30, 2002 3:51 am

Uh,... you lost me....

Tranny numbers on a K?
Fork numbers on a K?

Sounds wormier and wormier.
<<

SirLosealot

Post Sun Jun 30, 2002 4:25 am

Yep
Cast number on lower triple tree and a bunch of numbers stamped into each case (same numbers) underneath by the drain plug.
I wonder...................could it be a previous DMV verification stamp?? Got me beat all to hell.
SirLose
<<

HOOTER

Post Sun Jun 30, 2002 7:27 am

Those are the case matching, machining #'s (which are part of industrial identity also) All Cases have this because those two pieces are machined as sets. I don't think the triple tree stamped number will occur till the early mid sixty's.

Those Bottom #'s will have a -year on them. Mind you that the production year starts in August even tho the case maching numbers run as the calendar does.

HOOT
<<

panic

Post Sun Jun 30, 2002 2:09 pm

Some samples:
Note only the 1959 has curved "9". 1959-62 looks like curved is original. I'm still trying to establish a pattern for the cuved vs. straight controversy.

------------------
Click here to read about my Mikuni Book

[This message has been edited by panic (edited 30 June 2002).]
<<

panic

Post Sun Jun 30, 2002 2:38 pm

Here's the problem: comments?

[This message has been edited by panic (edited 30 June 2002).]
<<

Frankenstein

Post Sun Jun 30, 2002 3:44 pm

I had heard that cases could be x-rayed and overstrikes could be detected. 'course, I don't have an x-ray machine in my toolbox, but you might find some local car or bike racers who know of engine builders with access to the equipment. This I heard from an old harley dealer. The metal has different densities where it has been struck with the number dies. check out the whole number, it might show up an irregularity
Good luck.
<<

m/cgeezer1945

Post Sun Jun 30, 2002 10:53 pm

Looks like an 8 to me.A good tool and die maker can make you the stamp...Does'nt look boggus to me at all...Just get it fixed and to the deed...Geezer
Next

Return to 45 Flatties