FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

restoration experts please

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

chico

Post Sat May 04, 2002 12:58 am

restoration experts please

im retoring a 41 Flathead , and saw that several parts ( says the restoration book) are parkerized , and this kind of finish is often used on firarms too , i need to know what is the color of this parkerized parts ?
thanks in advance
ride safe
chico
<<

1937hd45

Post Sat May 04, 2002 2:13 am

You can get a kit to do this from the Eastwood Company. They have a website and online catalog, all there stuff is good.
<<

Fatdog Vintage Salvage

Post Sat May 04, 2002 3:40 am

Parkerizing is a flat black finish found on steel to protect from corrosion. There are 2 processes, hot, and cold. cold can be done by the common man but is touchy to do right and consistent in multiple batches. email me at fatdog@wctc.net for more info or see my work at www.fatdogvintagesalvage.com/products.htm to see how we can do this for you. Thanks FatDog
<<

HOOTER

Post Sat May 04, 2002 6:31 am

Yeah Conan. Always like a little indepth info. But isn't magnetite an ore? Which is refined into magnets? Great fun for trying to drill.
<<

Cotten

Post Sat May 04, 2002 12:46 pm

Ive got all the necessary equipment for parkerizing hardware,.... but rattlecans are so convenient!

Duplicolors' "Cast Coat" mimics the grey varieties, and can easily be darkened with a litle flat black overspray.
For the greenish-brown manganese varieties, I use Silathane "Bronze".
Using "Steel Wheels" as an undercoat, you can mimic many of the textures of different parkerizing as well.

The AMCA judges have been known to knock off points if all of the parkerizing on a machine didn't match. The truth is, it should be docked if it all DOES match!

One reason I use a lot of paint is that I can PRESERVE and cosmetically enhance original hardware without destroying the original finish. A quick dip in paint remover brings it back to museum grade.

And since a lot of my people aren't into doucheing their entire bikes with WD-40, or painting every nut and bolt with Vaseline like they should, the paint is a lot more sanitary and easy to maintain.

Ever try to touch up a scratch in parkerizing?

Return to 45 Flatties