Board index Flathead Power-Technical Questions, Answers, and Suggestions 45 Flatties Handle Bars

Handle Bars

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

Post Sun May 22, 2016 3:09 pm

I have yet another new discovery! The handle bars on the WLC are bent. I thought I had forgotten how to ride until I noticed that.

In the picture you may see that the left bar is bent where it fits the center forging. The forging as well appears bent outboard of the clamping area. The clearance from the forging to the springs is wider on the left which could mean the top part of the fork might be bent - or the springs might just be off center.

How do you straighten forks without breaking them?? Hot or cold?

(I am sure I am the only one who ever paid full bore for a restored bike that just needed cleaning up & spent the next 6 months & copious amounts of cash making it whole again.)

Jack
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post Sun May 22, 2016 8:55 pm
Pa Site Admin

It does appear the tree is bent as well as the handlebars. I cannot advise on the tree straightening, however, all frame parts I have seen straightened, including, frames, and handlebars, are performed cold.

Post Mon May 23, 2016 7:27 am

Jack Innes wrote:

(I am sure I am the only one who ever paid full bore for a restored bike that just needed cleaning up & spent the next 6 months & copious amounts of cash making it whole again.)

Jack

We always say here: The only reason you can buy a WL is because you are buying someone else his misery. No matter what they say, how well its restored and what not. If they wnat to sell it there is something wrong with it..

Bars you can bend cold without problem. Just take a long bar attach to handlebar and do your thing.
Forks should be same thing, but its more difficult to get it straightened out.

As long as it doesnt impact your motorcycle performance wise (springer function is good, wheel alignment is good etc) I wouldnt bother withbending the springer, it doesnt matter then. Unless you are the kind of person that HAS to fix it once you know this flaw is there..

Post Mon May 23, 2016 1:06 pm

Thank you both for the input. I just finished straightening the handle bars & hopefully it will be better having the WLC go in the direction it is pointed. I ended up removing the bars & using the hydraulic press. I made some cradles lined with leather to keep from flattening the tube. The bend in the tree seemed to follow the tube & what is left is not noticeable.

I certainly do not HAVE to fix any little flaw just because it is there - that usually supports the adage " If it isn't broken, fix it until it is!"

Thank you once again,
Jack

Post Mon May 23, 2016 11:06 pm

FWIW, I had a 45 long ago that was visibly bent in this area. I just rode it like that.... not a lot of options in those days..
Shoot, a man could have a good weekend in Dallas with all that stuff...

Return to 45 Flatties