FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

WR and WL wheels

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

45Brit

Post Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:41 am

WR and WL wheels

regarding WL and WR wheels, are the rear hubs the same?

There are various posts on here indicating that the WR variants use standard WL frames and forks, apart from the few with chrome moly frames.

dirt-track WRs are usually shown with a brakeless front wheel which is clearly different from the WLA or WLC types, which in turn are separate types.

but what about the rear wheel? WRTT models appear with brakes. Is there a specific brakeless rear hub, or does the second sprocket bolt onto the brake drum lugs on a standard, WL type, star hub wheel? In short, do all WL/WR variants share a common rear hub?
Shoot, a man could have a good weekend in Dallas with all that stuff...
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:16 am

Re: WR and WL wheels

I personally do not know the answer to those questions but if one wanted to eliminate a rear brake, one only has to remove the drum and brake backing plate and replace the now missing parts with spacers in my opinion.
<<

45Brit

Post Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:41 am

from what I can see, the sprocket is dished and the spacer is on the axle
<<

RUBONE

Post Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:09 pm

WRTT (roadracer) uses standard star hub with a brake drum, WR track (dirt track) models from '47 used a brakeless hub with splines on both sides ( very similar to early thirties single models) which accepted a sprocket on both sides. Some racers would use two different ratios, one to qualify and one for the race. By flipping the hub around either sprocket could be used. Earlier track racers just used a gutted brake drum.

Track wheel and stack of sprockets. Sprockets came from 36-47 teeth.

<<

45Brit

Post Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:02 pm

Interesting picture - I hadn't seen enough pictures to realise there were two sorts of wheel. Is that a peg nut holding the sprocket on?

Being unfamiliar with the actual running of a flat-track meeting, do I understand you to mean that there is qualifying followed by allocation of starting positions?

Interesting point about the two sprockets. Some 1970s-era track racing machines had a two-sided wheel for that reason, but it was discontinued as dangerous and not useful - British and European machines wear a guard over the lower section of the drive sprocket. You still sometimes see the double sided hubs, I have one or two of them, but only one sprocket.

What sort of tyre pressures would a dirt track bike run?

Return to 45 Flatties