Board index Flathead Power-Technical Questions, Answers, and Suggestions 45 Flatties Breather valve and scavenge body?

Breather valve and scavenge body?

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

Post Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:39 am

I'm just spending a little time sorting through the various parts of the project I bought, middle of last year. I didn't realise the engine was so completely stripped... anyway, the breather valve doesn't seem to rotate fully when the pump base is fitted, this doesn't seem right to me? It's been a long while since I had one if these apart, what am I missing?
Shoot, a man could have a good weekend in Dallas with all that stuff...

Post Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:58 am

Scavenge gears fitted? When you say breather doesn't rotate fully does that mean you have a tight spot? If breather bore and gear are clean and without any burrs, have a good look at the scavenge gears for damage. I recently completed a 47U motor that gave me some trouble at the breather. Turned out the breather tower hole and the mount surface were not perpendicular, a factory machining error. When fully tightened, the breather gear was difficult to turn.

Post Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:14 pm

No, the tower rotates in the body; the two gears rotate freely in the body. When the base is fitted the tower will rotate about 180 degrees and no further. I'm baffled by this because the engine was running with its existing components AFAIK
Shoot, a man could have a good weekend in Dallas with all that stuff...

Return to 45 Flatties