FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Repro WR tanks

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

45Brit

Post Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:02 pm

Repro WR tanks

I'm just looking about at repro WR tanks, the narrow fuel and oil ones.

Anyone suggest a source for these in UK ? I see a couple of German and Dutch suppliers offering them around the £600 mark and for that I'm tempted to axe an ok'd fat bob instead....
Shoot, a man could have a good weekend in Dallas with all that stuff...
<<

RUBONE

Post Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:15 pm

Re: Repro WR tanks

You seem to have answered your own question. Why would anyone in their right mind make a reproduction of a limited production part and sell it cheaply? They would never recover their pattern costs. So it is pay up or shut up for the most part...
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:20 pm

Francis Villledon makes nice tanks for them. Look up Milwaukee Belle in France.
<<

45Brit

Post Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:21 am

I don't believe Milwaukee Belle are in the manufacturing business any more, unless anyone knows any different?
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:06 am

His username is Fran-6 on here. Hopefully he will chime in. I do know all of his products are hand made. I believe a company named W&W Cycle, if I remember the company name correctly, offered Francis's products in their catalog.
<<

Gray

Post Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:34 am

Pa wrote:His username is Fran-6 on here. Hopefully he will chime in. I do know all of his products are hand made. I believe a company named W&W Cycle, if I remember the company name correctly, offered Francis's products in their catalog.

As 45Brit is in the UK, you could try Grizzys in Folkstone. They are W&W dealers.
<<

45Brit

Post Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:41 am

well, I found the W&W website http://www.wwag.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/ ... age=!27065 and I have to say, they are not cheap but there's some very nice looking stuff on there.

Press on....
<<

Tim 435

Post Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:27 pm

I have an e-bay set I purchased several years ago that were advertised as being from Europe, the metal is a little rippley on the top side and I've heard from other racers that the mounting tabs are weak and sometimes break. Might be ok for a street bike as race bikes are tortured, other than that they look good, I plan on re-enforcing the tabs before using, my 2 $ , Tim
Vintage roadracing, Class C, AHRMA # 335
<<

45Brit

Post Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:44 pm

The fabricator I usually use tells me that it would be fairly straightforward to produce a set from an old pair if fat bobs, or a quick bob type tank, which he has several of. He reckons the extra welding time is more than offset by not having to match the two cuts in the top, and not having to match the various indentations underneath to the new bottom.

Since I don't need the hand shift gate fir the bike I have in mind that sounds like the way forward.

Loved the repro Flanders bars on the W&W site, by the way
<<

antiquespeed&machine

Post Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:49 pm

I used a set on my magnum bike, but I cut off the rigid mounts and re-attached rubber mount tabs, like the later WR tanks. I have another set to use on my flat track bike, and I will do the same thing again. As far as the cost, they are nice quality, and they save a lot of time, so to me its worth it in the long run.
<<

Samsup

Post Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:06 pm

Hi,

I import and distribute these tanks, we have no importer in the UK for 45 parts. Most are based in the netherlands, and some in germany.
They should be available at any shop offering 45' products, just give them a call. I know they will be available because I have a ton in stock :)
<<

ralph

Post Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:53 pm

The repro tanks I've seen are pretty good quality, but there's one thing you need to look out for.

Most of the one's I've seen, except those made by Milwaukee Belle, have a problem with the return line inside the oil tank.

After installing a set several years ago, I cranked the bike and checked inside the oil tank to make sure the oil was circulating properly. Could not see any oil returning, so I shut it down and took a closer look in the tank. The return line came up by the fill opening, but did not terminate there as it should.

After I drained the tank, I could see that the line actually turned and went back down to the bottom of the tank.

Well, there's two major problems with this. Instead of cooler oil from the bottom of the tank going to the engine hot oil would be circulated. Also, when the engine is shut down, the oil would be siphoned from the tank to the crankcase as there's no check ball in the return pump.

Took a dremel tool and cut an opening in the return line through the filler opening. Removed the tank cleaned it, re-installed and it functioned as it should.

Seen many at swap meets and one set on an AHRMA race bike with this problem. The racer had installed a valve in the return line to keep the oil from being siphoned out when not running.

a
<<

Samsup

Post Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:34 pm

ralph, this oilline "should" have a relieve opening at the top of the line. it is modeled after the return line on the WL tanks, which if I remember correctly do go upward through the tank and then back down again.

I will check this out on the WR tanks Asap, as a new batch is now in production, would be nice to eliminate this kind of issues.
<<

45Brit

Post Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:04 am

That's interesting. I ve just bought a set of these, because projects develop.... Looking into the fill hole, I see a pipe with an opening. I had assumed this is where the dipstick goes, although no dipstick is provided. Is THAT the opening referred to? If not, sounds as though I have a quick job for the Dremel...
<<

ralph

Post Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:35 am

45brit, the hole or opening that you are looking for is behind the hole for the dipstick.

You almost need to stand on you head or use a small mirror to see the return line that runs up behind the dipstick.
<<

45Brit

Post Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:04 am

Ok, understood.

Tracing the line with a fingertip, I believe that there is a relief hole there, but it's hard to be certain. I will pump some air through it and investigate before sending the tank for cosmetics!

So.... if this is a copy of a WL detail, do I understand you correctly that a WL engined bike fitted with these tanks would have no problem with siphoning back? Or am I missing something?

I'm not concerned with observing return oil because I use clear braided plastic line on all my racing and "modified" bikes so I can see the flow
<<

ralph

Post Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:43 am

45brit
Yes, all 45 oil tanks, including WR's will have this opening.

You have the right idea, anyone that has not installed the tank can apply air and stick a couple fingers in there to see if you can feel any air.

If tank is on a running bike, remove oil cap when running and you can see oil flowing back into the top of the tank.

Don't be concerned if you see a steady stream that changes to an intermittent spurt. This is normal after the crankcase is emptied.

The return pump can pump more than twice as much oil as the supply or feed pump.
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:54 am

I don't recall who opened this 45 oil tank up but they posted it on this forum many years ago.

<<

Samsup

Post Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:50 pm

Well, there's two major problems with this. Instead of cooler oil from the bottom of the tank going to the engine hot oil would be circulated. Also, when the engine is shut down, the oil would be siphoned from the tank to the crankcase as there's no check ball in the return pump.

The first question about siphoning is now solved I think? at least it is now known that there should be a hole for relief. Next thing i see here is the "circulate only hot oil part"

Although your method of thinking is correct, there are more factors at play here. you should take into account that the hot oil is actually passed from the fron to the rear, thus cooling itself and heating the other oil in the process.

Also imagine this: You just starter your engine, your engine is spewing out boiling hot oil, while at the feedside the oil is still cold and thick. It will have problems with getting enough oil when the engine is cold if the return pipe would just end in the front.

If you have issues with leaking trhough the return pipe there is 2 possibilities basically:
1: oil level to high, blocking relief hole or blocked relief hole by something else
2 leakage in the oilline after the reliefhole

This is what I think, but most likely some of the more experienced drivers have seen many other causes..
<<

45Brit

Post Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:53 pm

Ok, seeing that cut-away I need a relief hole at the top of the pipe.

The tank is clean and dry so it doesn't look too difficult. Time for the Dremel and flexible drive.

British bikes of the period discharge above the liquid level in the tank, so the return is easy to see and feed is from the bottom.
Next

Return to 45 Flatties