FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

45 front fender

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

ChadS

Post Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:51 pm

45 front fender

Howdy,
This is my first post here and I am going to start with a question but will make contributions as opportunity arises. I'm rebuilding a 45, it is not a restoration and has parts from different years. I will be rebuilding the transmission and have my parts order nearly complete and just about ready to order those parts. Now I need to find a civilian front fender. I'm painfully aware of the much too often poor quality of reproduction parts. I've searched and have seen fenders from $100 to over $400 but have no idea of the quality. I am a poor old retired guy and need to keep cost down but don't want junk.

Please share your thoughts and comments.

Thanks,
Chad
<<

Samsup

Post Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:02 pm

Re: 45 front fender

Hi Chad,

most civilian ones are taiwan reproductions, quality is as can be expected. The sheetmetal work is usually good ( not too thin) but the fitment could be better ( prepare to do some bending and shaping) I dont think there is too much difference between the cheaper and more expensive onesalthough I could be wrong on this one, they all come from the same factories in taiwan as far as I know.

I do know that a good reproduction military and civilan repro is in the pipeline, but it will not be before winter before that will be widely available, also the price will likely be higher than the taiwan parts as they will be europe made.

Original ones are morbidly expensive I think..
<<

ChadS

Post Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:53 pm

Samsup, thanks for the comments.

I've been doing some reading and came across Pa's reproduction fender fix thread. I've got an aftermarket fender here that was supposed to fit a 45 but when I tried to put it on it is too wide. I figured it must be for a BT and started shopping for another fender. After seeing all the required fender mods to these repro fenders I thinking maybe this one is supposed to be for a 45 and is just not made correctly. It is not a great deal too wide.

Can someone tell me the correct width of a 45 fender between the forks, maybe I just need to tweak this one a bit.

Thanks,
Chad
<<

Samsup

Post Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:30 pm

Chad please be aware that there is a difference between the WL/WLA and the WLC, which uses BigTwin style rockers, and thus needs a wider fender. Most likely yours is indeed BT/WLC.

Return to 45 Flatties