Bringing a 45 from Russia

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

TRUBRITT

Post Thu Apr 11, 2002 8:59 pm

Bringing a 45 from Russia

I have found via the good offices of Casey
Gould a fairly original looking WLA.The price
ain't unreasonable even including the shipping.Snag is the bike is in Russia.Has
anyone any experiance of bringing an old
bike back from abroad or any advice on
the procedures for getting it released by
customs etc.If I go ahead with the deal
there doesn't seem to be much problem getting it as far as San Francisco.Also
I don't fancy handing over any cash until
the bike actually arrives.Anybody got experiance of this sort of deal?
<<

HOOTER

Post Thu Apr 11, 2002 11:03 pm

Anything that you deal with that's offshore (international) had better have absolutely all arrangements checked out. Research for a known broker for the deal that will guarantee delivery. If total loss of your money in a deal overseas would have no finacial effect on you then maybe you could gamble on a deal like this. Then ya got customs to overcome, hopefuly you'll have good enough paperwork that will release your newly claimed prize. Then taxes? Then 6,000 miles of sea water to cross can have amazing effects on the new toy ya bought if you manage to get it. Kinda like playing with a boomerang, except the boomerang would have to shapeshift also. Better learn all about throwing it first.

HOOT
<<

panic

Post Thu Apr 11, 2002 11:06 pm

No experience, but there is NO customs duty. Make sure Customs knows this is an American product, originally exported, being return to country of origin. Be prepared to identify it as such - bring your Palmer, etc.

------------------
Click here to read about my Linkert Book
<<

49WL

Post Thu Apr 11, 2002 11:08 pm

Nope, no experience. Just be aware that you can get a pretty good one in this country, with a good title, ready to license for about $10K. Look in Walnecks.
<<

flattyflyer

Post Thu Apr 11, 2002 11:20 pm

Check with Mr.Moto. He has a web site and just brought one back. It is all original but pretty beat up, but still mostly complete. I believe he is asking $5000. So you know he paid a lot less. He does have a web site.
<<

JHDIronRide

Post Thu Apr 11, 2002 11:35 pm

Hey Tru, before you make the move, brother in law sails, merchants, hes out in Pacific now, got line from him 2 days ago talking 40-50foot Stormin Seas, guess make dam sure if your shipping, your insured!! or at least wait on weather LOL. Walneck or right where your living might be good place to look. here in Maine we got quite few boys ,buying selling old Iron. Good Luck . Later
<<

45freak

Post Fri Apr 12, 2002 7:32 am

Yers ago I bought a 45 from Estonia(I live in Finland, Europe)and if was rough but running. Good thing: I was there to see it in my own eyes. Bad thing: I had no experience of motorcycles, any kind of...
So I bought it, brought it home and stripped it down. What a mess: engine had pistons from some Russian automotive, gearbox had no mainshaft bearings, every possible thing except heads and cylinders were painted some glue/paint-mix(very stong and hard to remove), front wheel was from Russian K-model with homemade rockers), rear brake drum was craced etc. Frame is the only part that I've done nothing but repainted.
So, be careful what you buy, but like Conan said, if you have time to put it together on your own, it's worth of it! I've learned a lot with this beauty and if I can make it, anyone else can!

------------------
Old Iron Society
<<

Yankee

Post Fri Apr 12, 2002 4:05 pm

For all that its worth,, here goes!,We do some importing from the former USSR.We import steel tire chain,,and logging castings from 3 different foundrys there.They have turned there military mills into comercial mills,,,which means MONEY for just about all the workers,in other words,they all have there dibs in the same till!,We were fortunate to have bypassed all of the misfortunes of importing from Russia,since my sister in law is Russian.,I have heard of all the stories of WLs in crates,and other goodies,but have yet to provide one simple picture!Ports are all controlled by mafia,so its gonna take some cash,but most importantly, someone there that is trustworthy. My brother has been there several times,,,motto of this story is,,,carry plenty of cash!,,,,,,Yankee,,,,LIVE FREE OR DIE
<<

TRUBRITT

Post Fri Apr 12, 2002 9:19 pm

Thanks gentlemen for your replies and patience.I KNOW what the Ivans can do
egineering wise to their own bikes from new but
I do most of my own spanner work so it isn't
too frighting.Conan I'll be in touch.Are
any of you near Hayward CA?

Return to 45 Flatties