FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

WR sprocket shaft bearings

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

X-WLCH

Post Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:53 pm

WR sprocket shaft bearings

I'm looking for information on the WR sprocket shaft bearings. Size etc, availability , and how much machining would be required to install them into a standard 45 case with a 1" sportster sprocket shaft (magnum).
Is the WR shaft 1" ?
Any pictures of the WR setup may be helpful.
<<

RUBONE

Post Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:12 am

Re: WR sprocket shaft bearings

The bearing is a 6205 metric with the dimensions 25x52x15. The standard shaft is tapered for the sprocket, not splined like a Sportster. And unlike a Sportster type set-up there is no spacer pressing against the bearing that the sprocket presses on. So you would have to come up with a whole new way of putting a sprocket on it. The crank has to be able to float in the bearings to prevent side loading one or the other, so the sprocket and spacer can't butt up against it.
<<

Beachdog

Post Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:33 am

Re: WR sprocket shaft bearings

The machining to install WR bearings into a standard 45 case is pretty straightforward. If you want to use sportster stuff you should use all ch stuff. I believe Frankenstein set up a bottom end with ch sprocket shaft bearings and shaft. If you are going to do machine work that would be the way to go. Trying to mate ch stuff to wr stuff is way too complicated. If you want to see what wr stuff looks like go to BOS (beautyofspeed.com) workshop section, bottom end, flywheels, crankpin and shaft gallery. I don't have any parts in my hand, but my memory tells me that the wr sprocket shaft is slightly smaller that 1" OD. Years ago I tried to use an early BT colony sprocket shaft seal in a handmade carrier for a wr. It worked but not great, not quite as tight as I wanted.

Return to 45 Flatties