FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Star hub with ball bearings

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

Piotra

Post Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:53 am

Star hub with ball bearings

Hello,
I have one star hub that was already modified many years ago. Roller bearings was replaced with tapered roller bearings, and those are also destroyed. So I thought maybe to rebuild the hub with ball bearings.
Have any of you ever done this?
I found a link to the page where SKF 6204 bearings were used:
http://108.163.194.210/~dbbpcom/dbbp/tech-tips/wb1.html

I have to explain that the hub is destroyed to throw and or rebuilding but it is not worth to rebuild it to its original state, so I thought I could to try to rescue it with use of ball bearings.
Do you have any plans how to convert the hub, how to lathe it and how to make the inner bearing sleeve. Any dimensions (inner, outer diameters of sleeve), plans, etc.
<<

nationalzjug

Post Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:18 am

Re: Star hub with ball bearings

Hey,I believe in waste not, but when it comes to motorcycle safety..invest in some new hubs with Timken bearings...even old motorcycles that are going to be ridden..peace,Paul
<<

Chris Haynes

Post Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:44 pm

It is possible to replace the races in your hub. You Will need a WL male rod race and a Ironhead Sportster male rod race. You will have to have to old races ID ground out of the hub. Then have some material ground from the OD of the rod races. Freeze the races and snug fit them into the hubs. Run a lap through them and install standard size bearings.
<<

BREWSKI

Post Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:49 pm

Not to insult you! but the races on a Timken bearing can be replaced. When I was in business (SPORTS SPECIALTIES) AMCA # 2780. I did quite a few star hub conversions, even sent a pair of replacement hubs to ANDRES 45" DEPOT in DUSSELDORF,GERMANY. I've never had a star hub that couldn't be sleeved and brought to life.
<<

Cotten

Post Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:29 am

Paul!

You believe the original design is not safe?
H-D insisted upon their design even though tapered bearings were common on earlier Hendersons, and Indian Scouts.

The first time I had to fish for a fallen spacer inside a converted hub to install the wheel, I realized it was a bad idea.

Unless ruined by chroming, most hubs are only badly worn on the star end.
HUBRACE.jpg

As Chris points out, a race is easy to install, and retain all of the other original hardware and design: no need for custom-cut spacers, axle, etc., and it will still fit the other end of the motorcycle!

....Cotten
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

nationalzjug

Post Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:26 pm

Cotton, yes tapered bearings are safer and more efficient..and smoother rolling,makes ..the hub you're showing the lug holes are still round..on a bike that's been rolling on bad bearings,those holes are out of round..unless you are putting your motorcycle in a museum where it will never be rode again,put new hubs on an old motorcycle you intend on riding..but you can run junk if you want to..your life. I like o ring chains too...another question? How many hours do you spend repairing that hub? Time is money,reoadworthiness is priceless..peace,Paul

Return to 45 Flatties