FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Problem with my kickstart

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

Oskar

Post Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:03 pm

Problem with my kickstart

Im having problem getting my kickstarter to disengage. It dosent relese the kicker so that it can return. I can push it back, but it den rotates the engine backwards.

The gearbox is in great shape, I have used it in another bike before, so i know that there isent anything broken in it. I remember that i had this problem when i disembled the gearbox many years ago. The kickshaft had to be in the right position when being reasembled.

Is there any way to get things in the right place without having to take everything apart? The gearbox Is mounted in the frame with clutch and everyhing.
<<

Randall

Post Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:20 pm

Re: Problem with my kickstart

Howdy Oskar,

It has been a long time since I re-built a 45 tranny but I checked in Mr. Palmer's book and at the top of page 297 there is a photo of the kickstart gear and tripper bolts with the following caption:
"Notice how the gear has two lugs below the teeth. These lugs mesh with two tripper bolts... which are installed in the case. The heads of the tripper bolts have specially rounded arched heads which are used to mate with the gear lugs at the proper time to smoothly disengage the gear. Over time these bolts wear out... and the gear can no longer disengage. If the tripper bolts are worn out only on one edge and are in otherwise good condition, they can be rotated 120 to 180 degrees in the case to get one or two extra lives out of them."
Might be worth checking.
--- Randall
<<

ralph

Post Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:10 pm

Oskar,
I'd have to agree with Randall. I'm sure the tripper bolts need turning or replacing. You didn't position anything incorrectly, the starter clutch will only fit one way on the countershaft, so it will automatically be timed correctly.

Unfortunatly, you will have to completely disassemble the tranny to correct the problem.
<<

wilko

Post Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:45 pm

Can be done without removing tranny, but tricky. Do a search a couple of years ago. I helped a friend do it on his. Saves a lot of extra dismantling.Someone else also verified at the time showing pictures.Tricky bit was assembling the mainshaft gears with spacer.

Return to 45 Flatties