FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Idler gear - longer flange facing in or out?

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

markrob

Post Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:06 am

Idler gear - longer flange facing in or out?

I posted this over in the Yahoo WLA forum, but I think it is probably better asked here.

After a lot of time, and with a huge amount of help from Pa's great directions, I'm satisfied to put my WLA tranny aside and start the partial engine reassembly...But I'm quickly learning just how valuable those transmission directions were.

First step - install the idler gear. Can't find anywhere in the manuals whether the longer flange faces in or out. Can somebody let me know, and is this consistent for all the timing gears, etc?

I think I'm going to be asking a lot of questions, so I'll apologize in advance.

Thanks,

Markrob
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:44 pm

Re: Idler gear - longer flange facing in or out?

If you install the cam gear next to the idler stud, when you install the idler gear, the gear teeth of both the idler gear and the cam gear next to the idler gear, would match evenly at the teeth faces. ;)
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:52 am

Here is a couple of pics to show the correct and incorrect installation of the 45 idler gear. Pa

Correct installation of idler gear. Note the gear face surfaces are generally very flush with each other when installed correctly.

Incorrect idler gear installation. Note the surfaces of the gear faces again. They do not mate flush at the faces at all equally.

<<

markrob

Post Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:08 pm

Thanks, Pa!
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:01 am

That is what this forum is all about.

Return to 45 Flatties