FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Tanks - panhead vs WL

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

45Brit

Post Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:09 am

Tanks - panhead vs WL

I've just reminded myself of a problem with the tanks on the "Shovelhead forks" bike. The tanks are sound and not rusty, but in a generally battered state.

I've just noticed that there are a batch of hand-shift, panhead tanks in circulation at the moment. Given that the bike is quite unoriginal anyway, and that the hand-shift BT tanks are a great deal cheaper than the repop 45 ones, I'm wondering about fitting a pair of those in conjunction with a round oil tank/battery box. The battery box needs some fettling to get it into the space, anyway.

One obvious change would be fitting the mounting tabs at the lower rear, which is a fairly minor job. Other than that, are the tanks sufficiently compatible to be interchanged this way?

I COULD spend a long time filling and rubbing down, or I could fit them as-is and replace them in due course, but I'd like to at least, know whether the panhead units are a feasible option?
Shoot, a man could have a good weekend in Dallas with all that stuff...
<<

knucklebolt

Post Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:41 pm

Re: Tanks - panhead vs WL

Not having any real expertise here, I don't see any major fabrication problems with doing that. Fitting ebay mystery tanks to my Paughco frame was probably at least as involved, and I got 'er done, again I'm not a pro-fabricator. If your dash is already mounted and where you want it, placing the tanks on the frame should only involve fabricating some tabs/mounts in the right places, to get it right. I mounted my tanks first, and got them straight and where I wanted them, and then fitted the dash and dash mounts, and that was a little bit of work...I think that was the hard way.

So I'm thinking yes, but I ain't actually been there done that. !!! :)

Good luck!

k.
<<

45Brit

Post Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:19 am

Re: Tanks - panhead vs WL

That's about what I thought.

I think I will spend some time refurbishing the old tanks, if I can get a good enough finish well and good, if not I will try the "generic tanks" route. I need to do some fitting to match the battery box to the rebuilt frame as well, so it might be the easiest way all round.

But I can see the solution in outline, I think.
Shoot, a man could have a good weekend in Dallas with all that stuff...

Return to 45 Flatties