Board index Flathead Power-Technical Questions, Answers, and Suggestions 45 Flatties Kicker/Countershaft ? on 45 transmission

Kicker/Countershaft ? on 45 transmission

Post Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:13 pm

Well, after several months with no progress I'm back on my 45 project. Maybe this will be the year to hear it run.

With the kicker at rest with the arm vertical what keeps the countershaft, and kicker arm of course, from rotating forward? The kicker return spring has enough juice to rotate the c'shaft forward.

Hope everyone had a few good rides last season.

Chad

Pa Site Admin

That is not an issue to be concerned with. On electric start counter shafts, the countershaft remains stationary. The counter shaft cluster gear is on its own as with kick start. Doesn't matter where the kicker lever is as long as it retracts to the up position.

The transmission Sprocket casting cover keeps the kicker arm from going past vertical. However, if your kicker arm becomes loose, and starts coming off, the kicker will miss the sprocket casting . This happened to mine last week. The spring holds it against the cover.

Thanks guys, I was hoping for that answer. I was sure I had things together correctly but as this is the first time inside a 45 trans my confidence level is less than certain.

The kicker spring I have is an after market item. The square in the center that slides over the c'shaft is about 45 degrees out of square. Referencing Pa's tranny rebuild info the hooked end of the spring is about half way to the spring stud, not at the bottom. So I will have to either put less spring tension or more. I will deal with that when I get to that point.

I will be visiting here more often. I need to scan and post some pictures of my dad's old Harleys.

28 degrees and 2 feet of snow here but warm and comfortable in the shop. Perfect conditions to make some real progress on this project.

Happy Motorin,
Chad

Pa Site Admin

Get them pics posted Chad.

With the exception of bending down lock tabs on washers the trans is done. When I started this a reverse gear was considered but due to cost and lack of experience with trans building I decided not to. I have the reverse shifter gate and shifter gear and would like to add the reverse gear. It looks like it would be an easy addition now. Comments?

Brenden, Do you still have that reverse gear and idler?

Chad

Return to 45 Flatties