FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Four short easy questions for the experienced?

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

Brendan

Post Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:19 pm

Four short easy questions for the experienced?

I have finally finished my wla and have it idling great.
This is the first bike I have ever ridden with the controls in different locations. I am getting used to it, however, the fixed throttle, the 1/4 inch play, and the range is very hard to get used to.

Is it normal to have 1/4 play?
Is it normal to have to twist the throttle twice to shut the throttle from full open?
How hard should it be to pull the throttle.
Is 580 degrees about the right temperature of a cylinder when warmed up?

Thanks
Brendan.
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:08 pm

Re: Four short easy questions for the experienced?

I am unsure of what you mean by a 1/4" play Brendan. It is not normal to have to twist throttle grip twice to regain idle. I am leaning toward cable wire pinching or slop in throttle grip spiral.
<<

Chris Haynes

Post Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:48 pm

Is it normal to have 1/4 play? No. Your cable is not adjusted properly.

Is it normal to have to twist the throttle twice to shut the throttle from full open? No. Your cable is not adjusted properly.

How hard should it be to pull the throttle. If adjusted and properly lubrucated it should work easily.

Is 580 degrees about the right temperature of a cylinder when warmed up? I have no clue.
<<

45Brit

Post Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:35 am

The throttle should work as easily as a British type, external throttle. The return spring on a carburettor won't operate it, too much mass and friction but it should be smooth, free and reasonably precise to hand.

Same goes for the left-side timing retard.
Shoot, a man could have a good weekend in Dallas with all that stuff...
<<

Cotten

Post Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:01 am

Brendan!

Here's the heat chart from the Armored School Handbook:
HEATCHRT.jpg

....Cotten
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

GuS

Post Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:41 pm

Brendan.
Like said here before. Your cable should not be as sloppy as you describe it. Properly set up, it should give good response when twisting the throttle grip. Not very far from any modern scoot.
The outer cable; control cable has a plug at the handlebar end. This plug must be secured to the handlebar with a set screw. Check for any slack before you proceed. Once all assembled, this slac will no be so easy to detect. The other end of the control cable shold be fixed as well with a clamp. I've noticed some of the aftermarked control cables are more flexible. Gets better once clamped down. Ensure the inner cable is fixed to the plunger, and the 3 small pieces (pin, roller and block) are all in the plunger. Inner cable should glide smooth in the control cable. Any binding will amplify the float. Check the end play between the spiral and the end nut. Finally some light grease will help remove float in the spiral grip inner parts.

Good luck

GuS
<<

Brendan

Post Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:23 pm

Thank you all for convincing me my throttle was not normal.

I am a bit embarrassed to admit this but here goes,,,,,

I didn't install the round bushings over the pins in the throttle push/pull rod. I only had the pins in the slot causing the slop and tightness in the spiral channel.

Cotton, I thought I had all the manuals, or I overlooked this diagram. I know I have not seen it before.
I will be purchasing one if I don't have it.

Thank you.
<<

don

Post Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:10 pm

A note on the cable itself;
I have rebuilt the cable, Using the proper size plumbers snake lubed up, Piano wire, Tube netting, and Heat shrink tubing over.
Re-solder the snake to end disc held by set screw to handle bar tube. One could search for a cloth sheathing.
Works great!
<<

45Brit

Post Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:51 pm

Looking at that diagram, I'd read it that the external temperature of the cylinder casting (shown in yellow) was 350-400 deg the external surface of the head, 500 deg and 550-600 deg was inside the combustion chamber?
<<

Brendan

Post Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:48 am

My throttle is working smooth as silk, now that I put the bushings on the pins.

I guess the temperature is about right since I was measuring at the flat part of the exhaust on the cylinder.

I just took it for a night ride around the block a couple of times. Blackout lights look pretty cool. Next i need to get it up to full speed.

Traffic, hills , and one foot on the ground. It should be fun.
<<

john HD

Post Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:52 pm

Brendan,

we need photos!

john
<<

knucklebolt

Post Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:11 pm

And one foot on the ground is how it should be. It's called..."skill". Does it only bother me when I see riders pull away with both feet dragging on the ground? Ever watch the Stugis youtube videos?

I think you will find, once you get good at your foot clutching and hand shifting, that you will actually prefer it to riding a bike with a hand clutch. I do, and one of the reasons I built the Little Mistress was that I just missed that too much. Once you become expert at it, you'll handle the bike better than most average riders on hand-clutch bikes. Traffic and hills, you'll get there. Took me about 1000 miles to get back in the groove, and my clutch don't stay in! You will love it after you put a few miles on the bike.

And yes...where is them photos?????????????????????

k.
<<

45Brit

Post Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:43 pm

I've always liked the rocker clutches, but I do think that a proper front brake makes a great difference - being able to stop reliably without using one foot to do it.
<<

knucklebolt

Post Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:30 pm

My first Harley, which was a 45 with a VL front end, if you pulled with all your strength on that front brake lever, you could sort of, kind of, feel the bike slowing down, but it was hard to tell if it was the brake, or just the engine braking, or loss of momentum. I'm not joking. So for all the years I rode that it was the same as no front brake. Then my Knuck had a sporter front end with a drum brake, and that wasn't a whole lot better so I never used it. Then I center punched a '57 Chevy turning left in front of me, (which was the end of that front end) and picked up a disc brake Sporter front end in a trade. That changed my riding technique completely around, from rear brake to front. You do have to be very aware of the road surface at all times, but otherwise I think it's the better way to go. Or would that be ride? Just a thought.

k.
<<

45Brit

Post Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:20 am

I don't know why Sportster drums are so poor, probably the actuating arm geometry because they SHOULD be big enough by the standards of the time. Certainly the drum brakes on Hydra Glides have the actuating arm so compromised by styling (fitting it inside the casting, and the long deflected cable) that it's hardly surprising they are so useless
<<

knucklebolt

Post Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:23 am

Also, I've always thought that the rear brake was a good one...although one's leg is generally much stronger than one's right hand. !!! But it certainly is not a very large brake, as far as brakes go.

k.
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:22 pm

knucklebolt wrote:Also, I've always thought that the rear brake was a good one...although one's leg is generally much stronger than one's right hand. !!! But it certainly is not a very large brake, as far as brakes go.

k.

One must not forget the forces when braking. All the major weight is put on the front end when braking. Thus....the rear always seems to work better. Usually one can lock up a rear brake in a skid because of those forces.
<<

45Brit

Post Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:41 pm

I've been looking at a series of images on Google, and pretty much every one shows the brake arm at, or past the 90deg position relative to the cable. This is just wrong; I was always taught that the cable shoukd be set up to be at an angle of 50-55 deg relaxed and full deflection of the cam should occur with the angle at 75-80 degrees.

The Sportster is a big, heavy bike compared to British machines of the day but the brake is still comparable in size to, say, the 8" single-side BSA unit.
<<

Frankenstein

Post Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:16 pm

something that often got left out on the Sporty and Big twin brake was the rigid tube that ran from the drum to the top tree. The actual flexible part of the cable was pretty short, to keep the cable from using up all of your travel at the lever just taking up slack. They still weren't a great brake, but having the tube was an integral part of the design.
DD
<<

Brendan

Post Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:12 pm

http://postimg.org/image/o7a9umts7/

image hosting over 2mb

Hope the picture comes through.

Brendan
Last edited by Brendan on Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Next

Return to 45 Flatties