FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Hey everybody!

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

Justin

Post Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:56 am

Hey everybody!

Hello from (currently->) sunny Northern-California!!

I finally bought my first Harley!
Sure, it's just a servi-car motor but you got to start somewhere right?

This is NOT the first bike I've attempted to build, however, so I've got big dreams of a quick build.
:?: (But does that ever happen?) :?:
I've scored a few parts of e-bay and Craigslist and everywhere else...
I have it sitting in a shovelhead frame right now but I'm looking for an actual 45 frame (and not a servicar) 'cause I don't trust my arc welding skills to reinforce the raked frame, and the fact the shovel frame is heavier and a few other things!

If anyone wants to TRADE a shovel frame and a Triumph 650 frame or two for an old wl frame or something that would be awesome!!

Anyways, here's a link to my first mock- up pic, I tried for quite some time to post the normal pic but that does not seem to be happening....
http://i332.photobucket.com/albums/m330 ... ockery.jpg

So yea, it will be "short chopper style" but I don't plan on modifying the frame at all, so I guess a "flashy bobber" might be a better description? I dunno... everyone gets so specific about that foolishness!

Thanks!!
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:08 pm

Re: Hey everybody!

Welcome Justin. By you linked pic, I can see where you are going with your bobber project. I agree...that frame needs to be a 45 frame for sure. I got a very pricy 45 frame on hand. And I do mean pricy. It is perfect for a bobber build. It also has never seen the road. If pricy doesn't scare you off, shoot me a PM and we will chat about it. You won't find a better 45 frame than the one I have. Pa
<<

Justin

Post Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:06 pm

Ah, well, pricey does kinda give me the shudders; I'm not doing a "resto" or anything!
And right now I've only spent less than $700! :shock:

But the frame is a part I WON'T cheap out on... and if price was no object I'd already have one!
And a NOS frame is something I'd love to run...

PM will be sent soon!
<<

45Brit

Post Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:03 am

I'd suggest that you stop and think a moment, and make up your mind what you intend to do regarding a transmission. WL transmissions are not easy to find, nor are they cheap when found.

If you have a 45 transmission, all well and good. If not, then a British transmission would be your best and cheapest bet. Lots of information on this, but be aware that it will require welding and/or fabrication to fit into a WL frame. It isn't essential to cut the frame, but you will need to do a little research first.

It's possible to fit a Big Twin transmission, but not into a 45 frame. A repro Big Twin frame may be your best choice for this; there are lots of them about. They aren't much different weight-wise.

I'd suggest you are at what the Planning Office call a "Hold Point" and some thought here may save a lot of time and $$ further down the road...
Shoot, a man could have a good weekend in Dallas with all that stuff...
<<

Justin

Post Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:33 am

I do not want a stock 45 Harley trans,
and I already own the victory library "british transmission idea's" booklet, so I'm rather set on running a brit trans.

The look I'm after is the same style as the 45 Wes at "Four Aces" built, but I'll probably run Triumph forks instead:
http://fouracescycle.com/bikes.html
<<

45Brit

Post Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:59 am

there's a LOT of work and some very hard-to-find parts in that "Four Aces" bike, if you look closely.

So... if you want Triumph forks, why? Do you want the raked-and-short-forks style of the "Four Aces" bike, if so, why? Because it will leave you with the work of reversing the wheel, fitting the gearbox, and you still have that heavy ol' 45 frame AND even less ground clearance, which is already a weakness; AND Pa knocking your door in because you have cut up a rare and valuable frame....

That "Four Aces" bike, and the Triumphs on the same website, show a lot of thought as to what the finished bike was going to be, and a lot of work to make it happen.
Shoot, a man could have a good weekend in Dallas with all that stuff...

Return to 45 Flatties