FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

maximum weight for 3-wheelers in UK

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

45Brit

Post Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:42 am

maximum weight for 3-wheelers in UK

there's a thread over on the panhead and flathead forum by someone trying to register a servicar in the UK, and asking for the weight. This might be a good time to point out that 3-wheelers in UK must be under 8cwt ( 112lb = 1 cwt, 20 cwt = 1 long ton @ 2240 lb, for our colonial cousins ). 3-wheelers exceeding 8cwt are classified as cars and require a car licence, regardless of the configuration.

They seem to have a weight of 855lb, which seems alot to me, and it is under 8cwt... but it's worth bearing in mind. Could someone who is a member there re-post this?
Shoot, a man could have a good weekend in Dallas with all that stuff...
<<

DeltaMike

Post Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:30 am

Re: maximum weight for 3-wheelers in UK

To clarify that.

You can register 3 wheelers at whatever weight you like in the UK.
There are 3 wheeler lorries.

If you wish to use a 3 wheeler as a motorcycle
for cheap Road Fund Tax
and so you can ride it on a motorcycle lucence

then it's got to be under the weight limit.

And from memory, it can't have an operable reverse gear.
<<

45Brit

Post Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:52 am

Re: maximum weight for 3-wheelers in UK

that's correct about the weight. I'm assuming that the servicar owner intends to register it as a "motorcycle, cyclecar or 3-wheeler under 8cwt".

I haven't seen a 3-wheeler lorry for a long while, but those Scammell tugs you used to see at railway stations and goods yards were 3-wheelers.

3-wheelers under 8cwt can have reverse gear, though. Reliants had a reverse gear. Some early versions of the Bond 3-wheeler had the reversible Villiers engine unit, as did the Invacar. The BSA three-wheeler had a reverse gear, and I believe the Morgan F-4 ( fitted with the side-valve Ford engine ) had this feature.

I believe that in fact a 4-wheeler under 8cwt could be registered in this category as a cyclecar, for example a Fraser Nash, but I stand to be corrected on this.
Shoot, a man could have a good weekend in Dallas with all that stuff...

Return to 45 Flatties