FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Linkert m88

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

Paul1

Post Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:05 am

Linkert m88

Can anyone recommend where I can get my m88 carb rebuilt in the UK ?
<<

Limey_Dave

Post Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:00 am

Re: Linkert m88

If you take your time and have Palmers book plus factory manual,you could do it your self.
Quality replacement parts from Jan Boon in Holland or 45 Parts Depot in US.
The War Dept in Kent may do it or Fred Warr,though not in the best of health,is doing some jobs like this in his workshop at home.
Contact John Warr here

http://www.warrs.com/harley-davidson/pa ... ations.php

to find out if Fred can do it.
<<

Paul1

Post Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:30 pm

Thanks for that, I had previously sent war dept an email & am waiting for a reply. Have just sent Warrs a message so hopefully will get a reply. I have palmers book but not really confident about doing it myself, recently changed over the carb on my old Triumph but that was very easy & not very expensive as Amals are very available here, got quite a shock when I saw the price of the M88's on 45 Parts Dept website.
<<

George Greer

Post Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:03 pm

Can I add?

Please look at all of Cotten's posts about M88 carbs (actually all are informative).

Get either one of Cotten's DuraFloats, or a RubberDucky float........they work and the brass one's are a pain in the backside to MAKE work.

I rebuilt my M88, and I installed a new larger venturi in it, made a plastic swage to make sure it sealed in the carbs bore, used, NOS parts (execpt for the needle's and the venturi).

Take your time and it will work fine.

George
<<

Paul1

Post Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:19 pm

I did have a look at some of them, but there seems to be lots of issues with undersized aftermarket parts ! When I took mine apart yesterday to have a look I did notice that the throttle disc was lose on it's shaft, so don't really know what the correct position should be, also mine has a cork float ! It was a WLA carb so would be good to have it set up for divvy use.
<<

Paul1

Post Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:21 pm

Paul1 wrote:I did have a look at some of them, but there seems to be lots of issues with undersized aftermarket parts ! When I took mine apart yesterday to have a look I did notice that the throttle disc was lose on it's shaft, so don't really know what the correct position should be, also mine has a cork float ! It was a WLA carb so would be good to have it set up for divvy use.

Sorry meant to say civvy use !
<<

Cotten

Post Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:15 am

Paul!

Your throttle disc should be installed with the the 13 facing you, on the right side of the shaft, with the spiral spring and lever in place. Hold the closed assembly up to the light to inspect the degree of contact with the bore. If excessive, even when moved to its sweetest spot, you may need to stone-file the edges of the disc. (Zero daylight can only be achieved with a "blueprinted" bore and disc; Most service well inspite of some clearance, for after all, the disc should never touch the wall anyway!)

Your cork float may service well, if your local fuels are not digestive.
(USA fuels are constantly changing, and the Pacific Northwest reported float problems with all obsolete compositions last season.)

Many sub-standard parts on the market can be re-engineered to work. The most difficult are venturies that display as much of a gap around them as shrunken originals!

Good luck!

....Cotten
<<

irishbaker

Post Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:58 am

Paul,
i agree with George , you can do this yourself,i got mine working and i knew absolutely nothing about carbs. i did it by reading the previous threads with the help of all the good folks on the forum (especially Cotten)

Get an exploded view /diagram of the carb and start by getting familiar withthe components, take a piece off and then put it back on . clean/soak all parts in carb cleaner. At least if you do it yourself , if your scoot ever dies you will be able to tell whether the carb is the problem or not. :)

good luck
Steve

Return to 45 Flatties