FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Racer down

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

Tim 435

Post Fri May 15, 2015 3:27 pm

Racer down

After racing my 45" with AHRMA for over 20 years I can say i've been pretty lucky having only gone down twice with minimal damage to me or the bike. Not so lucky Friday a week ago though as I went for a short spin on the '53 K, it was just after dusk as I headed home on a narrow 2 lane country rd when there she stood in all her naked glory as if waiting for me, the doe was as at least as big as my bike and her jump was timed perfectly, the bike and I hit her dead broadside while she was still in the air. I remember the impact, then seeing a guardrail closing in then hitting the ground and that ugly ugly sound of metal hitting pavement as the K slid and tumbled with motor reving full tilt draining the m-53 and then dead silence. I knew my Knee took a hard hit and was numb and bleeding, right elbo also going numb as the heavy leather wore through to the bone. The dead silence was broken by the tire noise of a fast approaching car about a mile away, now this was scary as I lay in pitch darkness to the right side of the lane and couldn't move, with the good arm I was able to grab my cellphone to shed a little light and waived it frantically with the car bearing down on me it swerved missing me by inches.. The dead doe ended up in the other lane getting run over 2 more times by passing cars. So after all the drama the knee surgeon gave me a 3 to 6 month layup and no racing this year, bummer ! So what's the moral of the story ? probably many like ," never trust a naked female on the roadside," or " carry a flashlight," or one that i've been saying for years, "the racetrack is safer than the street".. Tim
Vintage roadracing, Class C, AHRMA # 335
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Fri May 15, 2015 6:05 pm

Re: Racer down

Damn Tim !!!!! You got a Guardian Angel for sure Bro. I know you are out of it for the season. But Bro !!! You is alive ! Naked Female you say ? Are you sure is wasn't a Buck In Rut ? :wink: All funning aside Bro, I am sure glad you have such a sense of humor because that situation would have turned most humor into sorrow for most others. Get well soon Bro and don't ever let anyone, or any incident, stop you from pursuing your passion.
<<

mark59

Post Fri May 15, 2015 8:21 pm

tim are you located on the hill above mountville? i wish you a speedy recovery. if you are the tim in my area i spent an evening at your shop late last summer. i was on my 39 u model. i hit and killed a deer many years ago on 59xlch, same way... in mid air broadside, it head swung around and nearly clocked my head....slid forever...sparks lit up the road...when a car finally came along the driver wanted the deer for a ride to the hospital.
the last thing i heard that doe say was....i'll never do that again for two bucks
pray you heal up fast and strong....mark
<<

GuS

Post Sat May 16, 2015 6:37 am

Tim.
Glad you made it.
Speedy recovery.
GuS
<<

ralph

Post Sun May 17, 2015 5:44 am

Holy sh*t Tim, just got back from Denton and saw your post.
Real bummer for sure, but I'm glad it wasn't any worse.
Always enjoy your company at the track and off.
If there's anything I can do to help you out during your recovery, don't hesitate calling.
Ralph
<<

Tim 435

Post Sun May 17, 2015 7:16 am

Thanks for the kind concerns, these little white pills "legal" have me zonked alot, yeah Mark thats me on the hill and I remember that sweet '39, was that converted to electric start ? Hey AHRMA has a rule when a member reachs 70 they get free race entrys ! just 5 yrs to go, Tim
<<

mark59

Post Sun May 17, 2015 6:29 pm

nah Tim, no electric start. those pills are like a double edged sword, on one hand they take away the pain and on the other they screw with your sanity and bowels. been almost a year since a buick station wagon broadsided on my way to work on my FLHT with trailer in tow. got busted up good, off work for a month and a half. good five weeks on the meds. Tim i am 10 minutes down the road, letort area, if you need anything let me know. anything....mow the yard, shoot stray cats whatever
Mark Andrews
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Sun May 17, 2015 8:24 pm

mark59 wrote:nah Tim, no electric start. those pills are like a double edged sword, on one hand they take away the pain and on the other they screw with your sanity and bowels. been almost a year since a buick station wagon broadsided on my way to work on my FLHT with trailer in tow. got busted up good, off work for a month and a half. good five weeks on the meds. Tim i am 10 minutes down the road, letort area, if you need anything let me know. anything....mow the yard, shoot stray cats whatever
Mark Andrews

Wow ! Such a kind and generous offer ! That is what the Brotherhood is really all about. :D Oh....By the way Mark.....You and I share the very same last name.
<<

Tim 435

Post Tue May 19, 2015 1:50 pm

Making progress, got the stitch's out today and the doctor increased my brace swivel up to 45 degrees "and we all know that's a good angle". oh and pretty much weened off those little whiteys.. Pa you are the Mentor, met you several years ago at Oley, you have a handicap but it doesn't stop you from pressing on and sharing your knowledge with all of us and being a good Admin. to boot !
Thanks for the offer Mark, have a son that takes care of the yardwork, daughter helps in the shop and an amish beagle keeps the varmits at bay, perhaps later this Fall we can meet up and go for a scoot on the old irons, thats good therapy for anything.. Tim
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Wed May 20, 2015 6:03 am

I remember our meeting up at Oley Tim. It was all my pleasure. One must press on, do what ever it takes to improvise, and never look behind at an infirmity. Look straight ahead always. Hell folks......some are born without the abilities we lost. What a ride life can be !
<<

37ULH

Post Wed May 20, 2015 11:40 am

Sorry to hear this Tim. Hope your recovery is as swift and clean as your bikes

Return to 45 Flatties