FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

WLA Trans In Progress

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

Curt!

Post Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:25 pm

Re: WLA Trans In Progress

pa That tranny is a thing of beauty. I'd marry it if she'd have me. :D Nice work.
Curt!
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:22 am

Curt! wrote:pa That tranny is a thing of beauty. I'd marry it if she'd have me. :D Nice work.

Thanks Curt ! :D She's already wed to me Bro. I'll be a riden on her for a spell. :mrgreen: Pa
<<

ohio-rider

Post Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:44 am

It was a good time for sure Pa. Nothing better than sipping a few beers with friends while looking thru piles of old bike parts. Ditto on it being the best local swap I’ve been to in a while. It looked as though everyone was cleaning out their garages of old parts and selling them at good prices. Still no Linkert for me though. :cry:

Congratulations again on the job you did putting that tranny together. You may be getting to ride her for a while but I have to confess that while you weren’t looking I grapped a quick feel. :lol:
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:28 am

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
<<

bikerider45

Post Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:24 pm

Thanks Pa
for the clear and usefull threat on the gearbox:
I'm in the progress of rebuilding a gearbox myself and am very happy to follow your steps.
Unfortenately I have to deal with some repro parts, trying to get NOS... as possible ... almost...
Have a happy ride.
JP
<<

Chris Haynes

Post Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:53 pm

bikerider45 wrote:Thanks Pa
for the clear and usefull threat on the gearbox:
I'm in the progress of rebuilding a gearbox myself and am very happy to follow your steps.
Unfortenately I have to deal with some repro parts, trying to get NOS... as possible ... almost...
Have a happy ride.
JP

Why not just ship yer stuff to PA. He has this thing nailed down now. :D
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:18 pm

Negatory !!!!! Chris taught me all I know ! Send them to he !!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:22 pm

JP......there are a lot of good repop parts to use out there. Just inspect them all before using. On another note....inspect the nos parts as well. My bobber is a half breed Haley. She has repop and oem nos parts in her. I found good and bad in both parts categories. Key word ???? Inspect the parts ! Pa
<<

100incscoot

Post Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:09 pm

do not
i repeat DO NOT use repop starter gear #33380-32 old #2165-32
THEY will break in half after a few kicks and if not WILL leave you stranded broke down at the most unwanted time from failure
and if it does break DO NOT push start the bike to get home
chances are the gear will get lodged between the trans gears and will destroy at the very least the case by cracking it open like a walnut
also theres more then one way to skin a turkey
on greasing the throw out bearing if you just fill the square on it with grease you can push the grease in with your finger then fill the square again repeating it till the bearing has plenty of lube
that saves and search for a siringe as paul used
sorry for the delay but heres the pic on how the factory stakes the cover screws
Last edited by 100incscoot on Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:17 am

I won't use the aftermarket starter clutch gear either. Same reason Scoot warned of. Great pic Mike ! I'll stake mine also. Pa
<<

Brendan

Post Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:31 pm

Great document

I just finished adjusting the mainshaft end play .003 it worked perfect.
I went on to adjust the first and second gear end play from the retainer bracket.
I started with a .047 washer and I measured a [b].040[/b] between the gear face and retainer bracket.
The bracket has a slight ware pattern but I am unsure of the thickness of the retainer bracket.
This means I need a washer that is out of the .075 washer range. A .075 will leave me with .012 gear end play
I am using the reverse gear instead of the spacer collar but they should be exactly the same thickness????
Any Ideas?

Brendan
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:09 am

Take a heavy washer to your local machine shop. They can dust it down to your needs on a grinder. Pa
<<

ohio-rider

Post Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:33 am

Wouldn't that require a hardend washer Pa?
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:04 pm

Absolutely Steve. I should have stated a heavy washer, from the parts washer kit set, of different sizes. Pa
<<

100incscoot

Post Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:25 pm

almost nothing i have ever come across was the same thickness
why do you think a motor build needs both pistons when he is honing to size a set of cyl's?
how about replacing the worn out retaining bracket?
that sounds to me like where the issue is
or if not i'd reharden any washer i ended up having ground
case hardening is a very easy process to do with some casenit powder and a torch
<<

Brendan

Post Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:29 pm

I should have formed my previous sentence into a question(The bracket has a slight ware pattern but I am unsure of the thickness of the retainer bracket.)Does anyone have the correct thickness dimension of a new bracket? I have a machine shop at work to make and harden a washer. If the retaining bracket is out of spec I will replace it. It's just that it seems so slight of a ware pattern. I just have the feeling I have possibly done something wrong adjusting the end play. Maybe the reverse gear is thinner than the spacing collar which would mean I need a smaller 'end play' washer and a collar. The thickness DIM I have for the reverse gear is .468. Is that the thickness of the collar?
Thanks
Brendan
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:59 pm

The ground side of the bracket is dimensioned from the bolt holes. I wish I would have taken that dimension before installing it, but I didn't. I also had the width dimension on the collar but can't seem to locate it. Someone will chime in with it. Pa
<<

100incscoot

Post Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:01 pm

as long as we are talking original parts and not some inferior crap made in tiawan
i hate to state that but i have run across times where guys have said this isn't right to find out later after i've beat my head against the wall that they had repop parts they were comparing to orig.
yes if you don't know already i'm bias
the specs are for the bracket is exactly 1/8" thick and the spacer is 15/32" thick both measurements taken from nos factory parts
15/32 is .4688 so i'd say thats only about 1 thou off from a nos part
<<

Brendan

Post Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:55 pm

100inscoot
Original parts they are!! I re-measured too. I learned my lesson when I rebuilt my generator. I wasted time and money on parts that were cheaper. I will pay for original parts when I can find them. I can imagine the frustration when you try to help someone fix their orange when there working on an APPLE.
I thank you for the Dimensions, they both check out fine.
PA, your right, the critical DIM is from the bolt holes. I am going to research that.
Thanks again
Brendan
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Fri May 01, 2009 4:55 am

Told ya someone would chime in. :D Thanks Mike ! :D I noticed when installing the second gear retaining bracket, the bracket can be shifted a bit, either direction. This probably is not the case, when using an nos trans case but when using a old oem case, it usually is the senerio. I attribute this to the case shoulder near the clutch gear, and the radius towards the front of the case, that the bracket seats against. Anyhow, how I learned this......I obtained different measurements between the second gear and the bracket, when checking the gap over the whole bracket surface. This told me the bracket was not parallel to the second gear face. To correct this, I loosened the bracket bolts and realigned the bracket to the second gear face. A few times, I had to do it over again because tightening the bolts would pull the bracket off of the realignment adjustment. If you get the bracket square to the second gear within .002" to .005", it will do the job well. Just take your clearance specs from the tight spot. Pa
PreviousNext

Return to 45 Flatties