FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Cam bushings to bearings

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

indianut

Post Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:42 am

Re: Cam bushings to bearings

WHAT!!! You found an article that Panic didn't write and you think it is actually going to work???!!!???
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:24 am

Please tell us more about this article. Pa
<<

George Greer

Post Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:46 am

Yes please post info about it.

George
<<

100incscoot

Post Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:03 pm

the bearing # is a 629 rs
i think the rs stands for sealed but you need to remove the rubbers seals

you remove the shafts from your cams and resize the ends to fit the id of the bearing on your lathe
very slow speed the shafts are hard sob's

you machine the holes in the case and cover to fit the bearings with a very light press
on the case side you have to leave a ledge in the back of the hole about 80-100 thou for a plug thats needed behind the bearing
you'll have to make the plugs out of some brass
once you get going on your project its all pretty self explainitory and really not that high tech of a modification since your just using all the same holes
the only thing your doing is fitting the bearings to the holes and to the cams
do the cover last so once you get the cams set in the case all at the same depth then with a straight edge and a depth gauge you determine how deep to cut the pockets for your bearing into the cover
it may sound complex but its really not
i honestly dont think the gain is worth the task unless you have all the other mods and race goody's to go along with it
your not going to gain that much from this one simple modification
you would be more ahead of the game to loose 10 lbs of the beer gut [not that any of us have on so to speak ]or get the excess oil out of the bottom of the case thats dragging on the flywheels in my opinion but thats just my opinion too
<<

Sidewinder

Post Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:17 pm

629, is this the same ball-bearing used on WR?

The ICE-conversion seem to use needle bearings. Is this the XL-bearings? They have the same nominal diameters as the Bronze bushes. I started to convert my U 74" to XL-bearings some years ago. But I reconsidered when I discovered that the shaft on the U-cams where smaller than the XL-cams. Not by much, as I remember 0.04-0.05mm. I have Andrews cams and they where compered with OEM XL-cams. Is it supposed to be like this or is my U-cams a bit off?
Torstein
<<

100incscoot

Post Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:58 pm

yes thats the bearing thats used in wr's
as far as the u verses xl cam question i'd have to go dig out some parts to measure them to answer that
i'm sure if i hadn't pissed panic of he has that info in his piles of papers
sorry mines in milk crates AND BIKES of course
<<

DRGN RYDR

Post Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:13 am

Sorry folks, was on holiday.
Ok the article was actually a grey beard's shop notes. I was in a buddys Dads garage having a brew, talking bikes while he worked on his bike when I said about hearing of this conversion. He said his Dad might know. He went in and asked. His Dad came out had a beer with us and I mentioned it again and he went to his tool box and pulled out a note book, flipped to a page and handed it to me. It had a couple sketch's and a few notes.
First note, underlined was "No rear exhaust".
First sketch was marked "Block" and showed bearing in hole and arrow to crank side and note "peen over".
Second sketch was marked "Cover". It showed a bearing in hole, a pipe behind bearing, with arrow to it.. "Undersize" It showed a washer next to bearing, arrow to washer marked "Brass".
That's all I have. I asked what bearings and his answer was "measure it up, cant give ya everything" I asked a couple of times as we sat around and he wouldnt say. As he took last beer and went back inside he said "think sporty".
I will try and get more out of him. If this guy says it can be done, it can. I am 48 and since we where kids there was always a harley in buddys dads garage.

So who is Panic and what does he have on it?
<<

barry

Post Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:03 am

the ball bearing in the wr for the cams are 39K it is not easy to convert the cases and cam cover to balls. i have done a couple needle conversions on 45's and it easily do-able. years ago i bought papers from KNS cycle (now victory ?) it details the process. i also built a couple of 45 magnums with their books...but that's another story... barry
<<

HDMac

Post Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:33 am

100incscoot wrote:you machine the holes in the case and cover to fit the bearings with a very light press

100incscoot what do you consider a 'ver light press' fit? Any numbers?

Thanks,
HDMac
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:07 am

A very light press fit usually means metal to metal fit. Bore is the same size as the outside diameter of the part going into the bore.
<<

HDMac

Post Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:05 am

Thanks Pa,
That's what I have thought too. But when the case gets warm, don't the bearings come loose because the steel does not expand as much as the aluminum?
HDMac
<<

Beachdog

Post Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:18 pm

Once the bearings are in you take a prick punch and punch the aluminum around the bearing to stake it in place. The bearings are also a slight hand press fit on the shafts. Assembling one of these takes lots of hand fitting of the individual parts. Have patience, do it right. Use crocus paper or very fine emery to achieve your fit.
Previous

Return to 45 Flatties